Draft R4 #112: Rangers select Giant Canadian Goalie (Talyn Boyko)

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Lol what tall goalies have panned out? Anything over 6'6 and you cant play goalie. You have no lateral quickness, cant get post to post, and you have to be on your knees all the time because you cant cover the bottom of the net as easy, opens up massive holes over the shoulder.

We say this with sportsscience and having two sumo wrestlers in goal and still couldnt stop a George Parros shot.

Tall monster goalies will never be a thing in the nhl. Its a waste of a pick sadly.

Honestly, you could be right. I don’t have great track of this. How tall is Vasilievski?

I do think that we will see a 6’8 goalie win the Vezina in 20-30 years, because there will always be freak if nature and goalies do benefit from size. But maybe it’s far fetched to expect someone that isn’t an extreme standout to get there.

I am the same like you with the 6’6 forwards we draft. There are very very few 6’6 forward in the NHL. Last year only THREE forwards 6’6 or taller played more than 13 minutes per game on average. Tage Thomson, Jordan Greenway and Michael Rasmussen. Ie very very average performers. How many are drafted every year due to that size alone? 10? Like you draft these guys with like a 3% shot that they will become a very average player. The math can never ever add up to support taking guys like Edstrom or Gettinger.

Reactions: Chalfdiggity3

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Tallest goalie I've ever seen.

I watched these highlights and then thought back to the SHL highlight vids we were getting of Hank waaaaay back in 2005 and these highlights are just depressing by comparison.

For so many reasons.

None of them the fault of him. It'd be pretty awesome if he becomes even like a Valiquette

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I mocked this kid a few times. People rightfully hate drafting goalies, but you have to at some point. 4th/5th round is where is target them as well.

This is a boom/bust pick eh? We clamor for those for forwards. Why not take a risk on a net monster?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Our very own Starsky & Hutch.
upload_2021-7-25_8-38-46.gif

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Everything over 4 feet gets wasted if the guy is standing. Need to find a goalie that is 5 foot tall by 6 foot wide. :)

Baby Punisher

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
Tallest goalie I've ever seen.

This is a throw the dart at the board while blind folded pick. This pick is another indication of how weak this draft was. This kid is a total project, he is a glacier. His movements are terribly slow. He will get eaten alive at the NHL level. Shoot high boys. Shoot high.

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Boyko is trash. Plays way too deep in his net and recovery time is super slow. I'll be honest, though, I didn't like many of the goalie options this year later on. Is he the better one out of them? No... but hey... he's 6'8".

This hurts even more because guys like Duke, Savage, Cardwell, Lukashevich, etc. were all still on the board. Hope Boyko can prove me wrong.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
He signed his ELC today, somewhat surprisingly.
That is surprising. Seemed like fairly pedestrian numbers last year with Kelowna, too. I figure he'll start with Jacksonville since he'd be behind Garand and Domingue at the least. Is Hartford going to carry 3 goalies?

Six goalies under contract in total now. Ollas is the only unsigned goaltender.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That is surprising. Seemed like fairly pedestrian numbers last year with Kelowna, too. I figure he'll start with Jacksonville since he'd be behind Garand and Domingue at the least. Is Hartford going to carry 3 goalies?

I had assumed Hartford would send Lindbom to Jacksonville, and roll with Garand and Domingue. But now with Boyko signed, it seems likely that Lindbom would stay in Hartford, since Jacksonville has Gahagen and longtime ECHL veteran Charles Williams. So both affiliates would then go with three, unless someone is loaned out to another organization.

Reactions: Charlie Conway

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022

He played great last year, he's our MVP last season. His regular season SV is as good as Cossa after he arrived Kelowna. Just Rockets' skaters didn't help him a lot…

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Any chance he goes back to junior as an overager?
I guess it's possible, but if that is the plan then I'm not sure why they'd sign him at this stage. His contract doesn't slide so to sign him then send him back to the WHL, wouldn't seem to make a lot of sense for the Rangers. Though honestly I have no idea what's going on at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad