Draft R4 #111: Rangers select C Noah Laba (Lincoln Stars, USHL)

USHLObserver

Jul 8, 2022
I watched Laba basically every game this year (I think I missed 3 or 4 Lincoln games). A heart and soul guy. Scores, hits, stands up for teammates — I love this player! I was stunned he wasn’t in the draft rankings, in the fourth round, I think he’s a great pick. Comparable? Andrew Shaw with more offensive upside at the same age (I watched Shaw a lot at the same age as well and predicted his career path). Hopefully I’m right on this - honestly, I think you will be happy with Laba for a fourth round pick!! Remember, most fourth round picks never play a game - I think you have one that will be in the NHL.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I wanted Karabela late. This seemed like the pick they could have used to grab him. I know nothing about this player though so I’ll leave it at that.

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I watched Laba basically every game this year (I think I missed 3 or 4 Lincoln games). A heart and soul guy. Scores, hits, stands up for teammates — I love this player! I was stunned he wasn’t in the draft rankings, in the fourth round, I think he’s a great pick. Comparable? Andrew Shaw with more offensive upside at the same age (I watched Shaw a lot at the same age as well and predicted his career path). Hopefully I’m right on this - honestly, I think you will be happy with Laba for a fourth round pick!! Remember, most fourth round picks never play a game - I think you have one that will be in the NHL.

OK fine, you calmed me down a little. Is it possible he goes to Hartford this season instead of NCAA?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018

always bugs me when folks cite EliteProspects as a "source"
what's great about EP is they always link to their actual sources

anyway, of course i believed Steven,
but there are very many links to Laba's commit to Colgate
and much rarer citations of his de-commit and switch to CC - especially outside of Facebook

but i did find this

"Noah Laba, by far our most highly rated recruit for 2022, has officially de-committed and will be playing for Colorado College for 2022"

which is better Colgate or Colorado for developing forwards?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
I am an ECAC fan but competition may be more consistent in Col Coll's league. Also i believe they may still have Olympic size rink, good for skating.
The note, in the link i posted, that he woulda been Colgate's most compelling new guy, has me glad he'll go to Col Coll

Reactions: Fitzy

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I will say this when it comes to Laba, Mancini, and Karpa--on guys that I know nothing about, I will generally defer to the scouts. Our current group of scouts, they have not yet done anything to make me believe they're incapable of identifying talent or that they're all about drafting ECHL-level fodder. I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt that a) they see something in these kids to make them think they're worth a pick, and b) they're worth a pick in this spot.

Its a different story if I've seen a kid play or know a lot about him and have formed my own opinion. Guys I know nothing about? I won't pretend to have an opinion, or I won't try to pass off my opinion as based on anything I know personally.

In the last decade, since it has become easy to watch guys all over the world pre-draft, the two picks I was most critical of--that I knew nothing about first hand--were Kjellberg and Lindbom. And, Lindbom wasn't even about who he was as a prospect as much as where and when he was picked. Kjellberg, my opposition to him was legitimate, but also became kind of a joke that I ran with. Even then, Lindbom received an ELC and may still have some upside and Kjellberg has shown he's at least mildly interesting as a prospect, and not a complete throwaway.

My point being, while Laba is not necessarily the profile I would have chosen to draft, until these scouts show me they're incompetent, I'll at least give the kids a year or two from their draft before I declare them awful picks. Particularly in a draft like this, where outside of the consensus top-50 or so, it's really slim pickings.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

always bugs me when folks cite EliteProspects as a "source"
what's great about EP is they always link to their actual sources

anyway, of course i believed Steven,
but there are very many links to Laba's commit to Colgate
and much rarer citations of his de-commit and switch to CC - especially outside of Facebook

but i did find this

"Noah Laba, by far our most highly rated recruit for 2022, has officially de-committed and will be playing for Colorado College for 2022"

It's tough for a site like EP because even with a large staff based all over the world, they're still tracking--what, thousands upon thousands of players each year? So many guys move or announce their intention to move, it's why EP has to rely on the public to submit transfer information for the lesser-known players.

I submitted Jaroslav Chmelar's transfer a few days back and used Steven's interview and a Mark Divver tweet as my sources and they changed his 22-23 team to Providence the next day.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Don't see him ranked anywhere. He's a Colgate (NCAA) commit for next year.

Not sure if this was mentioned in the 4 pages already but last April, Laba decommitted from Colgate and committed to Colorado College.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
One thing I’ll mention is that at times, the transition from juniors to the pros is very difficult for kids who have to reinvent themselves into lower line role players. You see it all the time when kids dominate juniors with 100+ points and then can’t even play in the AHL. Sometimes it’s better to draft someone who knows their role and excels in it and is willing to work on the things that will allow for them to fill that role.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009

Both programs have been struggling, but Colorado College has been giving more commitment and responsibility to younger players.

Colgate has been following SLU's strategy, which is if you can't get talent, find guys who are 21 years old as Freshmen to try to compensate.

Reactions: nyr2k2 and Crease

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
Laba has plenty of skill and was an overager who impressed me more with his hands than anything else. He goes right into the teeth of traffic and can comes away with the puck. Skating stride is wide but he has good acceleration and always one of the first guys to a loose puck. But he is a clutch player. He’ll dangle, toe-drag, look off. He’s not some plug. IIRC he was their No. 2 center who either was PK1 or PK2. Very smart kid but then you get the physicality, size, etc.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
That's a terrific challenge. Should be great for him and his development.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
6 points last 16 games after starting off 8 points in his first 7.

his team is putrid. going to see them play here in Omaha this weekend.

Reactions: egelband

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
NCAA Conference playoffs are underway, mostly best of 3's this weekend

Col Coll was down 1-0 to WMich w less than 7 minutes left, scored 3 in a minute to win
Laba w primary assist on go-ahead goal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad