Draft R4 #104: Rangers select RW Brody Lamb

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Lamb is quite intriguing as a goal scorer, but he's going to be a long-term project. Not sure if he's heading back to Green Bay for next season, but USHL/NCAA hockey is far different than HN-MN.

Rooting for him, though.

Good risk value at this spot. I hope he has Othmann's dedication to fix his deficiencies. I think there's at least one more year for him before heading to NCAA

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Good risk value at this spot. I hope he has Othmann's dedication to fix his deficiencies. I think there's at least one more year for him before heading to NCAA

At the time I was good with the Othmann pick, but definitely felt they could've traded back to get him. But the more I read on him the more I like the pick a lot. During the height of Covid, he built a gym in his garage and puffed up. This season you can tell that he needs to just fill out the lower body and he'll be a solid get. Still just a little underwhelming given that Wallstedt was still on the board, though, but I can't wait to see what Othmann can do this coming season.

As for Brody, he needs to step up his game on all fronts. Will need all 4 years unless he sprouts like Barron (Lamb and Barron are not the same players).

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
At the time I was good with the Othmann pick, but definitely felt they could've traded back to get him. But the more I read on him the more I like the pick a lot. During the height of Covid, he built a gym in his garage and puffed up. This season you can tell that he needs to just fill out the lower body and he'll be a solid get. Still just a little underwhelming given that Wallstedt was still on the board, though, but I can't wait to see what Othmann can do this coming season.

As for Brody, he needs to step up his game on all fronts. Will need all 4 years unless he sprouts like Barron (Lamb and Barron are not the same players).

I can't imagine thinking Wallstedt was a good pick. Taking a goalie high is not a great idea to begin with and then add to the fact that we have one of the best young goalies in the league, it blows my mind.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
USHL is typically a precursor to NCAA.
Yeah, that's what his projected plan is for the next few years - he's going to play the 2021-22 season in the USHL with the Green Bay Gamblers and then he's a University of Minnesota commit for the 2022-23 season

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yes, a lot of guys will play their age 18 and sometimes even age 19 seasons in the USHL, as the USHL is considered an amateur league by the NCAA and players therefore retain their amateur eligibility. The CHL leagues--OHL, WHL, QMJHL--are considered professional by the NCAA, and therefore once a kid plays in the CHL he loses his amateur status.

The USHL has become an increasingly popular option for Canadian and European kids, just like the NCAA. It used to be that basically only American kids played in the USHL.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
here is the source release re the USAToday award

USA TODAY High School Sports Awards show honors athletes, teams, more

Nation's top high school athletes, coaches and teams named at the inaugural USA TODAY High School Sports Awards show
USA TODAY

-- Hockey Player of the Year: Brody Lamb, Kasson-Mantorville High School, Kasson, Minnesota, junior, University of Minnesota commit, New York Rangers draft pick, 52 goals, 35 assists

Reactions: nyr2k2

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
its a fun roll the dice pick. have to say the few videos out there i've seen the level of competition for minnesota hs hockey, regardless of class, is stunningly poor.

Lol...compared to what? Literally every MN-born NHLer (and we've produced more than any other state by a long shot) has played HS hockey here. Yes some leave early, but pretty much every one has played varsity.

And there can be quite a bit of difference from Dodge County (Lamb's school) and the big schools in Twin Cities suburbs.

If you want to see some very clean hockey played, watch MN HS state tourney big schools, damn near every team has a minimum of three D1 commits, if not six or more.

Sorry I digress...

Not so sure Lamb has what it takes. Will have to see what he does this year, 4 goals in 39 games last year for U of M isn't very promising.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lol...compared to what? Literally every MN-born NHLer (and we've produced more than any other state by a long shot) has played HS hockey here. Yes some leave early, but pretty much every one has played varsity.

And there can be quite a bit of difference from Dodge County (Lamb's school) and the big schools in Twin Cities suburbs.

If you want to see some very clean hockey played, watch MN HS state tourney big schools, damn near every team has a minimum of three D1 commits, if not six or more.

Sorry I digress...

Not so sure Lamb has what it takes. Will have to see what he does this year, 4 goals in 39 games last year for U of M isn't very promising.
He was initially committed for this season and was going to do another year in the USHL last year, but Motzko asked him to come last fall instead. So he was a year ahead of the original schedule.

He was stapled to the fourth line most of last year, which wasn't surprising given Minnesota's depth. His role increased towards the end of the year though and he was definitely noticeable in the tournament, and Motzko was complimentary of his game.

I have no idea what he will become, but the coach has given him an opportunity to play with two excellent talents and trusts him. Hopefully he flourishes.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
He was initially committed for this season and was going to do another year in the USHL last year, but Motzko asked him to come last fall instead. So he was a year ahead of the original schedule.

He was stapled to the fourth line most of last year, which wasn't surprising given Minnesota's depth. His role increased towards the end of the year though and he was definitely noticeable in the tournament, and Motzko was complimentary of his game.

I have no idea what he will become, but the coach has given him an opportunity to play with two excellent talents and trusts him. Hopefully he flourishes.

Yes. on the top line this year. He almost had a second goal tonight. He doesn't appear to be a great skater to me but time will tell if he continues to grow into a pro-caliber player.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014

Sorry I digress...

easy my man, that was the opposite of a shot at mn hs hockey. i've seen some of the bigger schools play and played with / against guys who played there, it's easily the best hs hockey in the country. was simply saying the competition i saw him on the ice with was significantly lower than what i've seen. no need to take offense on behalf of the entire state. i was surprised by it because of the quality of what i've seen otherwise.

i have no idea what he is or isn't either, but the little i've seen i've actually liked more than i expected. also consider it a good sign motzko seems to really like him, have a ton of respect for that guy. what that translates to...idno. still like the pick though whether it works out at the nhl level or not.

Reactions: egelband

Bonin21

May 1, 2014
I have seen many many much worse 4th round picks. By the end of 24-25 we'll have a good feel if he'll be able to play in the NHL as a 3rd/4th line guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad