Draft R4 #104: Rangers select RW Brody Lamb

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Per EliteProspects:

Brody Lamb produced at an absurd rate against weak competition on the High School circuit (3.63 points per game), but he’s not an empty calories scorer.

The core of Lamb’s effectiveness is his shooting ability and passing skill. He explodes through his shot, transferring his weight over the puck before rolling his wrists through the release. He consistently gets inside before shooting, and has the potential to become a deceptive shooter. Although he looks to shoot more than pass, he’s an efficient playmaker who finds teammates on the weak side, draws in pressure, and uses hook and slip passes to connect.

The rest of Lamb’s game features plenty of contrasts, as expected for a high school player. It’s most apparent in his skating, as the separation he found against weak competition didn’t translate to the USHL. Despite adequate stride mechanics, he stiffens through his crossovers so much that he barely gets one foot over the other.

As a puckhandler, Lamb flashes plenty of skill, as Elite Prospects crossover scout Daniel Gee describes, “inside-outside moves, hesitation step-bys, windmill dekes, nutmegs. [He] can string together multiple handles in one carry.” But, he rarely handles the puck across his hips. It’s always out in front, between his feet, limiting his deception and allowing defenders to angle him to the outside lane.

Defensively, Lamb’s a takeaway machine at lower levels. He’s physical, often making advanced reads like setting picks. A lack of consistent engagement on the defensive end leads to missed opportunities to regain possession.

Lamb will likely have to improve at two of the three contrasting areas to make the NHL. He’s a long-term projection given his lack of refinement and low quality of competition. If he does it, perhaps a third or fourth liner.

3.63 points per game in HS lol

Reactions: egelband

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
LOVE the upside potential of this pick and the next one. After IMO overdrafting by a few picks and maybe even a round on their first two selections, really like what they did with their second 3rd and first two 4ths.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
He definitely has the skills to be a late round steal. I am fine with him where he was drafted. Think he, Vaisanen and Korczac were our best picks for the value in our entire draft. Didn't like the Grubbe pick where we got him.

Obviously not banking on Lamb. But with patience we could be rewarded with this one.

brakeyawself

Oct 5, 2006
But he won't stand up to Tom Wilson, WTF is Drury doing?

That was sarcasm? I hope so....... Picking this guy though, isn't the one that makes me say "WTF is Drury doing?" Not by a mile. That would be the Buch trade and picking Othmann over Lucius or Bolduc. Or at least, picking Othmann and then not acquiring a 2nd round pick when Raty and Pinelli were still available in round 2. If he had done that it would have turned this draft from a bunch of meh question marks to a very solid first draft for Drury. And don't sleep on Vaisanen. He may actually be able to stand up to Tom Wilson one day.

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
its a fun roll the dice pick. have to say the few videos out there i've seen the level of competition for minnesota hs hockey, regardless of class, is stunningly poor. and what i've seen of him he definitely looks like he has a long way to go in skating and how quickly / smooth he can be with the puck.

his ushl production makes sense to me with what i've seen. that said, he's extremely young for this class and only had 10 games in the ushl in what would have been a massive step up in competition. there's worse places to be in the big picture for development thats for sure. hopefully the prolific hs scoring built up his confidence and he takes some steps physically and can produce at a high level at a higher level of competition this year.

at least for me, really hard to get a read on his hockey sense. if its there he has a real shot. in an extremely small sample size here tough to tell if he's getting away with bad habits because the competition blows or if there's some real iq there. says something that he was recruited by the u, just wish he wasn't actually going there. place is a prospect graveyard.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That was sarcasm? I hope so....... Picking this guy though, isn't the one that makes me say "WTF is Drury doing?" Not by a mile. That would be the Buch trade and picking Othmann over Lucius or Bolduc. Or at least, picking Othmann and then not acquiring a 2nd round pick when Raty and Pinelli were still available in round 2. If he had done that it would have turned this draft from a bunch of meh question marks to a very solid first draft for Drury. And don't sleep on Vaisanen. He may actually be able to stand up to Tom Wilson one day.

Of course that was sarcasm.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

I'm glad we took Othmann over Bolduc. I would have been happy with Lucius or Svechkov but other than that, it's hard for me to find a player available that would have been a slam dunk for the Rangers.

We need wingers as much as we need centers in our prospect pool to be honest.

Reactions: Cag29

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Lamb is quite intriguing as a goal scorer, but he's going to be a long-term project. Not sure if he's heading back to Green Bay for next season, but USHL/NCAA hockey is far different than HN-MN.

Rooting for him, though.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille