GDT: R2G4 - Stars @ Avs - The Gang makes a GDT

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Yes. The Avs need a new coach. Bednar's system has taken this team as far as it can go. The players need new ideas, a new approach, new creativity and enthusiasm. There is so much $$ wrapped up in the existing roster (composed of many elite level player) that blowing it (the roster) up will likely result in a long term rebuild.

Somehow Winnipeg managed to exchange a few players, tossed in a new coach and philosophy and gained a successful season. A lot of that had to do with ridding oneself of prima donna players who don't perform well in pressure situations and introducing a new voice and system.

It can be done. I don't know if CMac is capable of it however and I am afraid that he (and Sakic) are going to keep Jared.
I think it's just an excuse to blame Bednar. Bednar is not out there falling down on routine plays, missing routine passes, and giving shit effort. He obviously is pissed off by the team's effort. I think blaming a coach that has helped this team through one of it's best periods in it's history is lame. What we need to do is hold the players accountable for their shit play. I want Rantanen gone.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Changing a coach won’t help if the team doesn’t want to win. It would be the same result with a different face standing behind the bench. Going far in the playoffs takes a drive and will to win, and I don’t see it from this team after the 1st round. The worry has always been this team being satisfied with one cup and it looks like that’s what it is. They don’t have that same desire to win

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Changing a coach won’t help if the team doesn’t want to win. It would be the same result with a different face standing behind the bench. Going far in the playoffs takes a drive and will to win, and I don’t see it from this team after the 1st round. The worry has always been this team being satisfied with one cup and it looks like that’s what it is. They don’t have that same desire to win
Honestly it takes a bit of luck and a bit of drive. I honestly believe the Avs have the drive but they aren't able to get over the shit luck. We can't keep our players on the ice. Sucks but in order to win you need your team to be healthy and or not suspended.

Reactions: the_fan

AegonLeConqueror

Jan 4, 2018
I think it's just an excuse to blame Bednar. Bednar is not out there falling down on routine plays, missing routine passes, and giving shit effort. He obviously is pissed off by the team's effort. I think blaming a coach that has helped this team through one of it's best periods in it's history. What we need to do is hold the players accountable for their shit play. I want Rantanen gone.
Eh I don't think Bednar is the absolute issue, but this is the 3rd time in three series vs. DeBoer where he's being completely outclassed. I think he's a good coach with a good system but doesn't adjust very well when plan A is going poorly

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
Eh I don't think Bednar is the absolute issue, but this is the 3rd time in three series vs. DeBoer where he's being completely outclassed. I think he's a good coach with a good system but doesn't adjust very well when plan A is going poorly
I don't think DeBoer is truly some genius mastermind that is tactically pulling shit out of his ass to beat Bednar. I simply think DeBoer's teams have just been better than the Avs teams. At least their players give effort.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
There's only so much you can do when you're hit with two gut punches like the Avs were today.

He's not perfect, but he's the best coach in Avs history and is still a damn good one.

I wouldn't mind changing up an assistant or two just to get some fresh faces and voices in that room, though.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Honestly it takes a bit of luck and a bit of drive. I honestly believe the Avs have the drive but they aren't able to get over the shit luck. We can't keep our players on the ice. Sucks but I'm order to win you need your team to be healthy and or not suspended.
Yeah, it’s not just one thing, but the coaching is the least of the problems. Any team losing an important player like Val in the middle of a tough series would have destructions. We still don’t have the captain on the ice, and MacK, Makar and Mikko are playing like they’ve checked out in this series.

Bednar said they’re treating Val being gone as if it’s an injury, but I’m sure that’s not how the players are looking at it. In the back of their minds, they must be thinking they might not see Val again on this team. It’s a destruction even if Bednar said it isn’t

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It’s odd to me that 90% of this board wanted to play our 4/5th (?) string goalie instead of George after game 1 of the playoffs. I suspect Bednar had something to do with our #1’s confidence.

Now he has had to deal with everyone else not hanging their head? Fair. I guess he has no answer for the great PDB. He should have certainly told them, perhaps even called a time out to reinforce the message - hit the net When you shoot, especially on the power play, try not to allow them to outshoot you on the PP, certainly not a SH goal, and oh - no more too many men and delay of game calls like game 3. That should fix things. 👍
I am not going to minimize or disregard how the Stars clearly out played and out executed the Avalanche. They had a better game plan that took away most all of the Av's weapons and execution.

The Avs just kept doing the same things that weren't working because that's all they know how to do. That's on coaching.

James G

Jan 1, 2018
Yes. The Avs need a new coach. Bednar's system has taken this team as far as it can go. The players need new ideas, a new approach, new creativity and enthusiasm. There is so much $$ wrapped up in the existing roster (composed of many elite level player) that blowing it (the roster) up will likely result in a long term rebuild.

Somehow Winnipeg managed to exchange a few players, tossed in a new coach and philosophy and gained a successful season. A lot of that had to do with ridding oneself of prima donna players who don't perform well in pressure situations and introducing a new voice and system.

It can be done. I don't know if CMac is capable of it however and I am afraid that he (and Sakic) are going to keep Jared.
At this time of night I assume everyone has hit the scotch after a loss, but wtf are you talking about ?
Toss in a new coach, best the Avs in the regular season, Avs basically sweep them in the playoffs - and you consider this a success and what Cmac should do. I mean if that success for you, with the Vezina winner at your back, 🤞

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I don't think DeBoer is truly some genius mastermind that is tactically pulling shit out of his ass to beat Bednar. I simply think DeBoer's teams have just been better than the Avs teams. At least their players give effort.
I mean the Sharks series we were just severely outmanned and still made it a series. The first Dallas series we were down 2 goalies, Landy, EJ... This series has been closer but now we were down Drouin(most of the series), Landy, and had another Nuke leaving mid series. I think he matches up well against Bednar but he's also been fortunate with some roster issues we've had.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
It’s funny listening to the coach conversation. Like, I guess Bednar coached a different system for multiple years and then in 2022, completely reinvented everything and that’s why we won. Now he’s reverted back to his old style and we suck.

That, or the team isn’t executing the gameplan to the level needed to be successful…..

And on the flip side, Deboer must have some amazing new strategies that he’s never introduced, that or his team is executing what he asks of them to perfection…..

The players are at fault just as much, if not more than Bednar. And if the message is lost, maybe they can stop trying to create a daytime drama and focus on hockey, they’d probably hear it loud and clear then.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Yeah, it’s not just one thing, but the coaching is the least of the problems. Any team losing an important player like Val in the middle of a tough series would have destructions. We still don’t have the captain on the ice, and MacK, Makar and Mikko are playing like they’ve checked out in this series.

Bednar said they’re treating Val being gone as if it’s an injury, but I’m sure that’s not how the players are looking at it. In the back of their minds, they must be thinking they might not see Val again on this team. It’s a destruction even if Bednar said it isn’t
I didn't get that from Bednar's response. I felt he strongly implied Nuke is finished with this team.

Reactions: MacKaRant and Ncit3

Ncit3

Oct 19, 2011
Colorado
It’s funny listening to the coach conversation. Like, I guess Bednar coached a different system for multiple years and then in 2022, completely reinvented everything and that’s why we won. Now he’s reverted back to his old style and we suck.

That, or the team isn’t executing the gameplan to the level needed to be successful…..

And on the flip side, Deboer must have some amazing new strategies that he’s never introduced, that or his team is executing what he asks of them to perfection…..

The players are at fault just as much, if not more than Bednar. And if the message is lost, maybe they can stop trying to create a daytime drama and focus on hockey, they’d probably hear it loud and clear then.
The most irritating thing is that the only time the Avs showed any fight tonight is after the whistle. So they obviously have the energy. But not for hockey.

Reactions: Avsfan1921

James G

Jan 1, 2018
I am not going to minimize or disregard how the Stars clearly out played and out executed the Avalanche. They had a better game plan that took away most all of the Av's weapons and execution.

The Avs just kept doing the same things that weren't working because that's all they know how to do. That's on coaching.
Like 3 of the 10 best players in the world not getting a shot on net on a PP? Correction, 2 PP’s?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co

I'm certainly not giving the players a pass. I think lines 3 and 4 tried to bust down walls to win this game. But the jump in the top guys legs is not there. Their hockey sense has disappeared and frankly, we know they can play better.

So I conclude they are in acute need of a new messenger. Either that or blowing it all up. Problem is replacing top end talent is very, very difficult to do. Replacing a coach is not.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
At this time of night I assume everyone has hit the scotch after a loss, but wtf are you talking about ?
Toss in a new coach, best the Avs in the regular season, Avs basically sweep them in the playoffs - and you consider this a success and what Cmac should do. I mean if that success for you, with the Vezina winner at your back, 🤞
Bednar and CMac have a mess on their hands now. It's not going to get better with just a few tweaks. It's been taken as far as it can go. Things need to change.

Oh, I'm not a drinker. Just an old hockey coach who has seen this situation many, many times at various levels of play.

He actually said that Val was like an injured player, he even named Landy as an example.
OMG............

That's all I can say then........

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Bednar and CMac have a mess on their hands now. It's not going to get better with just a few tweaks. It's been taken as far as it can go. Things need to change.

Oh, I'm not a drinker. Just an old hockey coach who has seen this situation many, many times at various levels of play.

OMG............

That's all I can say then........

Nothing is going to change. This organization moves at a glacial pace.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad