GDT: R2G1: Avalanche vs Stars | August 22, 2020 | 6 PM MT

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Just an awful game by Cole, Graves, and Zadorov. The game honestly felt back and forth, but the difference was the Avalanche defense were making timely bone-headed plays and the Stars capitalized.

There is no way in heck EJ is playing next game. I fully expect Timmins in the line-up.
You expect that but you are going to get f***in Kevin Connaughton guaranteed. Francouz should just grab the puck and throw it in his net when that guy is out there

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
This game was basically Dallas 5 - Mackinnon 3. No show from everyone else not on the 1st line.

The 2nd line struggled to create anything all night. Jost had a couple of nice shifts but overall the 3rd and 4th lines did nothing of note. Some credit to Dallas for that though, they really locked things down against everyone but Mackinnon.

The D group was really hot-and-cold. Girard and Makar were pretty quick offensively, but overall the D group was rather vapid all night. Letting Dallas establish their cycle game and build a lead early really set the tone for the game.

Hope Grubauer and Johnson are ok, they'd both be pretty big losses.
2/3 of the top line was good. I dont think Mikko was very good. yes, he was working but we need more than just hard work from 9 million dollar boy in the playoffs. Mackinnon was a total animal and Landeskog was alot more engaged and scored a nice goal.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I agree with this. The issue though when you lose game one is that now you’ve pretty much guaranteed a long series and anything can happen. Even if we win two out of the next 3 we are sitting 2-2
I'd like to say this was like the Avs vs Flames where they lost the 1st game then won 4 in a row, but in that game 1 vs Flames Avs played good hockey just got shutout by a hot goalie. They played like shit in game 1 against Dallas. Maybe Avs should ignore what media says and come out with an underdog mentality in game 2.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I'm wondering what our record is when Calvert is out. It seems every time he is out we lose. I don't know where to find that info. Maybe somebody else can figure that out for me.

He's such an integral part of the team. Bellemare and Nieto are great and the line has great synergy, but Calvert is the driver of that line and constantly busts his ass off.

Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Calvert.

That would be my order of impact out forwards have on our overall game. Guys like Compher and Burakovsky are essential because they can score some key goals, but Calvert brings so much energy and passion to the game.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

letsgoavs1921

Jul 26, 2006
One good thing as far as the strong mentality of this team, every time we lost a playoff game last year we responded with a win (except game 7 against the Shark obviously). We won game two in Calgary after losing game one, and won all 3 games after a loss to the sharks. Also won this year after losing to coyotes. So we are 5-0 after a lost going back to last season

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
2/3 of the top line was good. I dont think Mikko was very good. yes, he was working but we need more than just hard work from 9 million dollar boy in the playoffs. Mackinnon was a total animal and Landeskog was alot more engaged and scored a nice goal.
Mikko wasn't great, but he did play his part in helping the line camp in the Ozone. He also set up Mackinnon's goal by first getting into the zone and playing a nice pass to Landeskog, before screening Khudobin on Mackinnon's shot.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not worried at all. Might be a blessing in disguise having Bednar’s hand forces into playing Francouz.
EJ’s minutes will be hard to replace, but Girard and Makar should see 24-25 minutes, and Cole Graves should get 21-23. Zadorov-Barberio should still only get like 12-16.
Not at all wanting to see Ryan Graves play that many minutes.

Zadorov was a tire fire last night, but throughout these playoffs Zadorov has been the better defensemen. He shouldn't be limited to that little and Graves bumped up that high.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I'm a big Francouz supporter but he hasn't looked good in game 3 against Arizona or last night. Got beat clean a few times.

How ironic we traded Varly because he couldn't stay healthy now we're the one with the injured goalie and he's going in the 2nd round healthy.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
He's such an integral part of the team. Bellemare and Nieto are great and the line has great synergy, but Calvert is the driver of that line and constantly busts his ass off.

Mackinnon, Rantanen, Landeskog, Kadri, Calvert.

That would be my order of impact out forwards have on our overall game. Guys like Compher and Burakovsky are essential because they can score some key goals, but Calvert brings so much energy and passion to the game.

He's the MacKinnon of our fourth line lol. That line just could not gain any momentum without him making the game harder for every other line.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
No puck support, sloppy passes, lack of communication. Pretty much the story of the game. Gotta be better to even have a chance. And would someone please make a mother f***ing hit? Stop letting up every damn time. Take the enemy out!!!

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Mikko wasn't great, but he did play his part in helping the line camp in the Ozone. He also set up Mackinnon's goal by first getting into the zone and playing a nice pass to Landeskog, before screening Khudobin on Mackinnon's shot.

This has been Mikko all playoffs. Turn over pucks and look a little disengaged for like 3/4 of the game. Then make high skilled plays in big moments for the remaining 1/4 of the game.

I'd like to see Mikko reverse those fractions. Those are just the expectations for him at this point, and with his contract.

The Shermanator

HFBoards Legend
Jul 2, 2011
Ontario
Hey guys I've been off the grid this weekend. Can someone talk to me about these injuries? What happened to Calvert and Johnson specifically? I saw the Grubauer replay.

crue7

Jul 30, 2011
Mississauga, Ontario
Hey guys I've been off the grid this weekend. Can someone talk to me about these injuries? What happened to Calvert and Johnson specifically? I saw the Grubauer replay.
Nobody knows about Calvert, but chances are he’s good for tomorrow. EJ is out with a knee injury. Returned to play a few minutes. Tried to return to game but couldn’t. Is not playing tomorrow.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I'm a big Francouz supporter but he hasn't looked good in game 3 against Arizona or last night. Got beat clean a few times.

How ironic we traded Varly because he couldn't stay healthy now we're the one with the injured goalie and he's going in the 2nd round healthy.

He let in one softie

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

We didnt trade Varly, he walked in UFA. His contract looks fine right now but it'll likely not age very well.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
We didnt trade Varly, he walked in UFA. His contract looks fine right now but it'll likely not age very well.

If he stays heathy it might though. Only three more years left at $5M. He'll be 34 for the majority of his last season, as his birthday is in April.

That was the only thing wrong with his tenure in Colorado. When he was healthy, and not playing with a wonky groin, he was usually very good.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
One and done. He needs to be doing more in games. Atleast creating chances the way he used to. Not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad