GDT: R1G4 - Avalanche @ Predators - Finish Them! - 7:30PM

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
First thing I noticed lol.

Josi will likely win the Norris, and it's a damn shame considering that points aside, Makar outshines Josi in just about every other metric of play.

(and on points, how many of those were secondary assists vs. primary assists? I thought I'd heard on NHL Network radio that Josi only had 1 more primary assist?)
Makar outshines Josi in just about every other metric of play.

This!!

Right the f*** on. Never liked long breaks, but I’ll take the healing up anytime.
Especially going into round 2 with a possible half blinded goalie.............

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
even the PBP guy mentioned something about the horn would have sounded off if it was good , I thought horn only for home team?
Nope. The horn goes off when Toronto confirms a good goal regardless of who scored it. Alot of time went by. The horn usually goes off after a minute at most. They either were too lazy to look or they wanted to ignore it. Either way someone f***ed up and should be sent to Ukraine. That horn should have went off to confirm the goal without the refs even having to review it.

Reactions: TheGrimReaper

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
It's not even about Manson turning up the physicality meter. He just somehow from game 82 to game 1 of this series stopped making mistakes. He made one bad read on the Predators 2nd goal last night when he challenged the passer on the 2-on-1 leaving a wide open breakaway but other than that, he's been tremendous. Hope he can keep it up.

I love that the coaching staff has Cale Makar killing penalties now. It seems like they've given him the green light to do whatever the f*** he wants, too, because he's jumping every pass and looking to create offense on virtually every penalty kill. It almost feels like the players on the opposing PP are so worried about him dashing up the ice that they're playing more passive to prevent it.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
It's not even about Manson turning up the physicality meter. He just somehow from game 82 to game 1 of this series stopped making mistakes. He made one bad read on the Predators 2nd goal last night when he challenged the passer on the 2-on-1 leaving a wide open breakaway but other than that, he's been tremendous. Hope he can keep it up.

I love that the coaching staff has Cale Makar killing penalties now. It seems like they've given him the green light to do whatever the f*** he wants, too, because he's jumping every pass and looking to create offense on virtually every penalty kill. It almost feels like the players on the opposing PP are so worried about him dashing up the ice that they're playing more passive to prevent it.
You can tell Cale wants a shorty bad. Only thing that can stop him are Skittles apparently. Those fans are lucky they didn't throw them at MacK :sarcasm:

• Haha
Reactions: Avsboy

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Sturm over Jost has also been a titanic upgrade to the bottom 6, likewise Byram in for JJ on D

Byram was pretty damn good last night. Nabbed his first postseason point, him and EJ have been super solid in round 1.

Byram specifically is obviously a tier above the matchups Bednar is currently putting him in, his underlying numbers are fantastic. And from the eye test he doesn't appear to be shying away from contact at all, he's been smart with the puck and bailed out EJ multiple times last night. One of these days Burakovsky is finally going to notice Byram streaking into the slot.

Average CF% across four games in round one:

Byram - 66.30%
Makar - 60.57%
EJ - 59.58%
Girard - 57.14%
Toews - 57.08%
Manson - 53.90%

Best part is there's zero reason to change anything. Continue to let Bo-EJ be a super solid bottom pairing because Toews-Makar are f***ing elite and Girard-Manson are getting the job done for the most part. The Avs defense as a whole was mostly rock solid that round.

Last edited:

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Had my first day of university after 4 years because I’m changing careers. Bought my first house ever beating a lot of competitive offers. Plus the Aves finish the first round sweep.

Probably the best day of my life tbh
Wallahi bro I have the biggest smile on my face reading this. Congrats on the career change and new house.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Good summary. I thought the turnover was Landeskog's (stick handling at the blue line on the PP... same sequence where Manson broke his stick)?

Maybe I'm wrong though. Or you are referring to a different sequence.

I was REALLY impressed with Manson's play in this series. I said earlier that I would recant my trepidations over him. So consider this, that.
Yah the sequence im referring to is at the end of the game. It lead to a clean look for Josi at the point after the puck turned over. Same spot Josi scored in Game 3. Fortunately, Frank made the save and Makar got the rebound to Nathan who finished it. Those are the little things that can kill you in a playoff game. Wasnt a smart play by Mackinnon but like I said alls well that ends well.

Makar last night reminded me of prime Forsberg the way he just decided he wasn’t going to let the team lose and put them on his back. Most of the team wasn’t playing too well through the middle of the game but Makar just kept pouring it on.
That was Foppa in 2000 Game 6 vs Detroit type of performance from Cale last night.

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Adding to all the Makar love, I'm so glad Byram was able to come out of that series unharmed. His first taste of playoff hockey and that was a physical series. He seemed to get better and more comfortable out there. Never put himself in vulnerable positions and overall just looked like he belonged out there. Fingers crossed this continues.

Polite HKYDiscussion

Jul 29, 2021
Byram was pretty damn good last night. Nabbed his first postseason point, him and EJ have been super solid in round 1.

Byram specifically is obviously a tier above the matchups Bednar is currently putting him in, his underlying numbers are fantastic. And from the eye test he doesn't appear to be shying away from contact at all, he's been smart with the puck and bailed out EJ multiple times last night. One of these days Burakovsky is finally going to notice Byram streaking into the slot.

Average CF% across four games in round one:

Byram - 66.30%
Makar - 60.57%
EJ - 59.58%
Girard - 57.14%
Toews - 57.08%
Manson - 53.90%

Best part is there's zero reason to change anything. Continue to let Bo-EJ be a super solid bottom pairing because Toews-Makar are f***ing elite and Girard-Manson are getting the job done for the most part. The Avs defense as a whole was mostly rock solid that round.
Even without Makar/Toew, the Avs could ice a legitimate, contending, defence group.

Girard-Manson
Byram-EJ
JJ- Murray
Macdermid-Macdonald

We are deep, deep, deep and rock solid in defence

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Had my first day of university after 4 years because I’m changing careers. Bought my first house ever beating a lot of competitive offers. Plus the Aves finish the first round sweep.

Probably the best day of my life tbh

Congrats brother! Happy to read this.

Reactions: BrickNHL

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just finished the game now. Its going to be real hard for Cogliano and Newhook to get in right now. You cant really look at anyone on the forward group and say you would replace them. I mean NAK and LOC seem like the obvious sacrificial bunt but no way am I sitting either guy right now especially NAK. LOC you might be able to convince me but NAK is playing some solid hockey.

I preached before that Nathan Mackinnon is the best first round player in the league. He lived up to that again this series. Really didnt like his turnover at the Preds blue line there at the end but alls well that ends well and it got cale another assist.

Cale Makar is special. No other way to put it. Might also have to reconsider putting any ceiling on him. Easily the MVP of this series in my books followed by Nate and Toews. To say Makar was great is an understatement. He was generational. Also, I really hope people stop looking at him as an all offense dman. Roman Josi is an all offense dman. Cale Makar is not that.

Frank played well tonight have to give him props. I had no faith in him but he was rock solid and you cant fault him on any of the goals tonight. He has as many playoff wins as Kuemper does for the Avs now.

Mikko Rantanen was shit but he did make a few really solid defensive plays especially the diving one in the second period. He needs to be better offensively in the second round and beyond if the Avs are going to get over the second round.

Now that the series is over I will say that Manson and EJ put in work. Both guys came up huge for the Avs. Really surprised by EJ. Doing it on the defensive side and chipping in with points. They play like that the rest of the way and they might be alright.

Girard can be better.

EJ and Manson could end up being the difference between us getting bounced in the 2nd round again, or finally getting over that hump and into the next round.

They are essentially both replacing Graves and Nemeth in the lineup from last year and if you look at it, so far they have both been worlds better then what we had last year.

Could be the reason we get to round 3.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
I was thrilled when the Hawks took Dach ahead of us, I never hid my lack of faith in him.
I wanted Cozens if we went for a forward. He seems to be doing well in Buffalo and would have been a perfect fit to fill that 2C hole. Playoff type player too. That said, I'm very happy with Byram, so no complaints from here.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Makar was incredible. MacKinnon did everything on his end to show he’s the best player on the team and Makar went ahead and topped it. I guess when MacKinnon himself wonders if Makar is the best player in the league then I may have to rethink my position.

Very happy for Francouz as well. Picking up a playoff win after everything he has had to come back from must’ve felt great.

That MacKinnon/Duchene handshake:

the-last-dance-michael-jordan.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
What a series! Makar is the best player in the world right now, period!

I still can't believe that one shift from Makar: he creates pressure on the Preds' player at our own blue line and force him to get rid of the puck to Toews whom finds Makar for a breakaway. He misses and everybody thinks the play is over but he makes a great backcheck and end up separating a Preds' player from the puck behind our own goal line with a great bodycheck. Just another shift from our own Cale Makar.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
EJ and Manson could end up being the difference between us getting bounced in the 2nd round again, or finally getting over that hump and into the next round.

They are essentially both replacing Graves and Nemeth in the lineup from last year and if you look at it, so far they have both been worlds better then what we had last year.

Could be the reason we get to round 3.

I agree with everything here and I'll add I don't think either of Minny/St Louis this year are anywhere near as good or complete as last season's Vegas team was. Last year's Vegas team lacked a top center, that was their only weakness. They were deep as hell everywhere else.

Minny is in the same boat, not having top center. St Louis has ROR (a mid level top center IMO) and a deep top 9. But their defense is terrible and their goaltending is very questionable.

The upgrades in Colorado against a weaker competition, the Avs have zero excuse in the second round this year, they've got to go out and take it.

Kuemper coming back healthy and playing at his usual pace is the only real question mark for me.

Reactions: The Moops

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
What a series! Makar is the best player in the world right now, period!

I still can't believe that one shift from Makar: he creates pressure on the Preds' player at our own blue line and force him to get rid of the puck to Toews whom finds Makar for a breakaway. He misses and everybody thinks the play is over but he makes a great backcheck and end up separating a Preds' player from the puck behind our own goal line with a great bodycheck. Just another shift from our own Cale Makar.
The first minute of the Avs' first PK was a masterclass by Makar.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Makar last night reminded me of prime Forsberg the way he just decided he wasn’t going to let the team lose and put them on his back. Most of the team wasn’t playing too well through the middle of the game but Makar just kept pouring it on.
Wish I could like this twice because that's exactly the type of game, series, that he had. Makar came to win, and he was 'all in' on every shift, trying to make something happen.

Reactions: Azrael89

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Yah the sequence im referring to is at the end of the game. It lead to a clean look for Josi at the point after the puck turned over. Same spot Josi scored in Game 3. Fortunately, Frank made the save and Makar got the rebound to Nathan who finished it. Those are the little things that can kill you in a playoff game. Wasnt a smart play by Mackinnon but like I said alls well that ends well.

That was Foppa in 2000 Game 6 vs Detroit type of performance from Cale last night.

We smoked the Wings in 5 that year ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2