Euro: R16: Belgium v Portugal, 6/27/2021

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Might be harsh but if there's one individual Portuguese player I blame the most for the loss, it's Jota. Two glorious chances he should have scored.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
He won a Euro with that approach. Just like NHL head coaches and GMs, once they have success with a certain way of doing things they'll never change. That's why it was also crazy to expect Germany to rebuild after 2018 with Jogi Löw in charge. Guys will stick with what got them up on the mountain in the first place.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Everyone has bad runs of form sometimes. But when Jota was shitting on Arsenal, Leicester, Atalanta, Leipzig, and Man United? I don't remember anyone coming in here and saying anything. Or when Fernandes was amazing this season or in the Nations League etc.

Some amazing comments on this forum during this tournament.

Well don’t you remember when Ronaldo led Portugal to a Euro win from the sidelines.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some amazing comments on this forum during this tournament.

It also bears mentioning there are tons of reasons why someone might be in bad form. The part where the authorities are trying to murder the players seems the most important. People are talking about bad quality from the players but what do we expect?

There's been 47 league games since last June to say nothing of Europe and nothing of the national team games. I think Fernandes has played 80 games that count (to say nothing of preseason friendlies) since the restart in the middle of last June. Not even exaggerating, 80 f***ing games. 72 of them were this season. Jota's played 50 something even though he had a three month hiatus for a knee injury. So I mean, yeah, sometimes the players are going to be shit. Everyone's expectations should be pretty low at this stage given what we've all hoped for these players to do to entertain us. They did it and now comes the ramifications of that. I understand why people say the things they say but some context is needed here.

Last edited:

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It also bears mentioning there are tons of reasons why someone might be in bad form. The part where the authorities are trying to murder the players seems the most important. People are talking about bad quality from the players but what do we expect?

There's been 47 league games since last June to say nothing of Europe and nothing of the national team games. I think Fernandes has played 80 games that count (to say nothing of preseason friendlies) since the restart in the middle of last June. Not even exaggerating, 80 f***ing games. 72 of them were this season. Jota's played 50 something even though he had a three month hiatus for a knee injury. So I mean, yeah, sometimes the players are going to be shit. Everyone's expectations should be pretty low at this stage given what we've all hoped for these players to do to entertain us. They did it and now comes the ramifications of that. I understand why people say the things they say but some context is needed here.

I’d say there’s even more context than that. Either way some of the roasting is over the top.

garbageteam

Jan 7, 2010
Belgium just look so rattled, I thought they had this in the bag from the opening whistle. Portugal's strikers really were not able to perform at the elite level, looked like amateurs hitting those comets.

At the same time Belgium were incredibly unlucky to lose Kevin de Bruyne to injury and hope he comes back for Italy, the man really is the backbone of this team.

Probably last Euro for Ronaldo? But honestly you never know with fitness and nutrition. Definitely his last as a starter but the next Euro is just three years away due to COVID delaying this one which would make him 39. Pepe's 38 and was still reasonably effective.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
He won a Euro with that approach. Just like NHL head coaches and GMs, once they have success with a certain way of doing things they'll never change. That's why it was also crazy to expect Germany to rebuild after 2018 with Jogi Löw in charge. Guys will stick with what got them up on the mountain in the first place.

Bad coaches do, good coaches adapt before everything falls apart.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Not that easy in my opinion.

Always difficult to tell if it is the tactics/strategy or the execution that is the problem.

One of the most stubborn coaches I have ever seen was Eggen at Rosenborg (and Moss). I think he won the league 13. times in a row or something. For the early years Rosenborg dominated in Norway, but got absolutely slaughtered in Europe. The outcry to get him to adapt was there every single fall. Similarly, his team were often somewhat slow starters in the spring and the discussion always was if he finally had to change his style (Norwegian season starts in the spring). He never did and probably as successful as any other coach coaching a very small team the last 30 years.

So I don't think there is one simple answer to this. I guess good (or lucky) coaches stick to their guns when they should - and adjust when they should.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
A1 explanation of the joke here, cheers

Not sure if serious nor was I sure the tweet was (didn't look at the account and the dude was wearing "Belgian" red in the picture), but considering the topic of my reply and the reaction on this forum alone I think it's worth noting.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not sure if serious nor was I sure the tweet was (didn't look at the account and the dude was wearing "Belgian" red in the picture), but considering the topic of my reply and the reaction on this forum alone I think it's worth noting.

Idk I thought it was pretty obvious that that tweet was a joke about all the stupid claims about Ronaldo in 2016

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Lool I thought you caught it… and was just adding to it. Ha. He’s clearly joking he’s also a barca/Argentina fan.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Idk I thought it was pretty obvious that that tweet was a joke about all the stupid claims about Ronaldo in 2016

I thought it was, but I wasn't sure. Like I said, thought he was a Belgian fan with the red. And as I already noted, considering how the Ronaldo narrative and how many people bought into it I wouldn't put it past anyone to have the same take.

Lool I thought you caught it… and was just adding to it. Ha. He’s clearly joking he’s also a barca/Argentina fan.

Like I said, I wasn't sure, but was definitely adding to it one way or the other.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad