GDT: R1:G2 | New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | April 22nd | 7:30 PM | F/5-3 L

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Really? I knew it was over as soon as it was 3-2. There was too much time left and with the inevitable extra push and extra skater, another goal was sure to follow. And OT would've been more of the same - an onslaught.

You'd think so but it never seems to happen in the postseason. The intermission so often seems to kill momentum. Game 1 vs the Pens in 2019 I think was good example of it, Pens tied it late and just never had an ounce of push in the OT. I can recall many other cases of that too in the playoffs

Reactions: Doshell Propivo

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You'd think so but it never seems to happen in the postseason. The intermission so often seems to kill momentum. Game 1 vs the Pens in 2019 I think was good example of it, Pens tied it late and just never had an ounce of push in the OT. I can recall many other cases of that too in the playoffs
Well it certainly would've given them a chance (as opposed to pissing it away in regulation lol). But the two earlier intermissions didn't seem to slow the Canes down.

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
I usually don't let sports have a long-lasting negative effect on me anymore since it's just entertainment that doesn't actually matter in our actual lives.

But I'm still feeling the residual effects of last night's game this morning. Probably the biggest embarrassment of a game I had to endure as an Islanders fan in a very long time.

xECK29x

Sponsor
Jul 19, 2006
Deer Park, NY
I usually don't let sports have a long-lasting negative effect on me anymore since it's just entertainment that doesn't actually matter in our actual lives.

But I'm still feeling the residual effects of last night's game this morning. Probably the biggest embarrassment of a game I had to endure as an Islanders fan in a very long time.
It certainly felt different, I ended up getting into an irrational argument with my wife before bed because it threw me off so badly.

Reactions: The Lighthouse

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Very depressing loss pointing towards a more depressing 3 to 5 years to come

Won't be nearly as depressing if we're building towards something new by adding young talent as opposed to continuing down the same Lou path of sacrificing the future by putting all resources/cap towards investing in this average/aging group.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021

8-0 was worse. far worse. but this game just sucks even more.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
It might be time to accept that there is/was only one coach in the modern era that could have success this roster and that is Trotz.

I have no issues with Roy, he came into the cockpit of a plane on a nose-dive and has kept his composure, but at what do you accept that it’s obvious this roster make-up is not capable of playing how he demands?

Thank you. This has been my argument for a long time. Trotz was the best thing to happen to the organization in years, but also a curse because too many Isles fans (and maybe even Lou) think that the mostly same roster from 3 years ago can repeat what Trotz led them to back then.

I like Roy and he can win with a better roster. But that's what is needed...A better roster, and Lou ain't getting it done.

Reactions: ekill08x

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
I don’t think the timeouts would have helped. There is something wrong with this team. Every time we think they turn a corner they do something like last night.

Lambert now Roy, pains me to say it but thetr must be something rotten in that lockerroom. Different voice same results the results.

Not sure about that -- the Canes are just THAT much better.

Then the "something wrong" with the Isles is they're not talented enough.

Chokabloc

Nov 25, 2021
NJ
Sometimes Bortuzzo reminds me of when Dobson and Mayfield were young and looked like baby deer on skates lol
I'm thinking the "Playoff" Mayfield and his 3rd period physical presence would be useful right about now... one of the mediocre players who turns it up a few notches in April....

Reactions: Olliemets

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
It might be time to accept that there is/was only one coach in the modern era that could have success this roster and that is Trotz.

I have no issues with Roy, he came into the cockpit of a plane on a nose-dive and has kept his composure, but at what do you accept that it’s obvious this roster make-up is not capable of playing how he demands?
Well, the ‘unleashed’ era is so far looking like a big fat bust across 3 coaches. Hmmm…

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
And we are the same team with new parts that cost us a mortgage of our future yet again. where are the free agents? the last free agent worth a shit we signed was VARLAMOV IN 2019. Its been five years. Lamoriello either is too stubborn for his own good, or nobody does want to play for us. It makes me just feel worse about the future because we need something to keep us in the race against the Rangers and Hurricanes.

There was a flat cap mixed in there so who exactly was he supposed to go out and get if there was no room to sign guys? He traded for and signed the players he wanted. Maybe Lamoriello got the wrong guys but there hasn't been a ton of big time free agents hitting the market in that timeframe and there was no cap space to get any of the ones that did hit the market.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
As frustrating as watching every team pull their goalie and see the puck always in the back of our net, I realize a lot of this is due to lack of speed and inability to get to lose pucks. As much as I want them to win, it’s just not possible with all the talent on the other side
The inability to win races to pucks and to win puck battles really stood out to me. That explains a lot of the shot disparity - CAR just had the puck more and if they shot it or lost it, they just got it right back again. CAR dominated the game, so I don't want to focus too much on one play. However, on the (killer) goal that made it 3-2 an Islander (Engvall maybe?) lost a puck battle along the left wall and instead of the puck leaving the zone it was a pass to Jarvis and the goal. That happened a ton of other times, but mostly shots were blocked, saved by Varly, or shot wide.

I didn't have a good feeling about this game going into it (as posted before the game, my gut was telling me 5-1 loss). I watched it on delay and even when they went up 3-0, I was very tempted to check the score - kinda wish I did. Based on the flow of play, a 5-1 loss would've been about right - this just hurts a lot more. Onto game 3. See what happens. Worry about big picture stuff after the season's over.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
The inability to win races to pucks and to win puck battles really stood out to me. That explains a lot of the shot disparity - CAR just had the puck more and if they shot it or lost it, they just got it right back again. CAR dominated the game, so I don't want to focus too much on one play. However, on the (killer) goal that made it 3-2 an Islander (Engvall maybe?) lost a puck battle along the left wall and instead of the puck leaving the zone it was a pass to Jarvis and the goal. That happened a ton of other times, but mostly shots were blocked, saved by Varly, or shot wide.

I didn't have a good feeling about this game going into it (as posted before the game, my gut was telling me 5-1 loss). I watched it on delay and even when they went up 3-0, I was very tempted to check the score - kinda wish I did. Based on the flow of play, a 5-1 loss would've been about right - this just hurts a lot more. Onto game 3. See what happens. Worry about big picture stuff after the season's over.

The board battles were terrible. Some Islanders don't want to get their nose dirty and the Hurricanes are all more than willing to do so. There seemed to be a game plan of trying that stretch pass and it was terrible as well. They kept missing the pass and it would result in an icing, to along with all the panic icings. The once calm and collected Pelech has become so jittery with the puck and is just looking to get rid of it ASAP, even when he has a ton of space. Reilly was the only defenseman capable of carrying the puck at all.

I just can't stand their willingness to allow their opponent to dictate play the entire night. It's not "turtling," it's being so unsure of what they're supposed to do or being completely ineffective. They're making hope plays when they get the puck instead of knowing where their teammates are going to be.

Reactions: xECK29x

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The board battles were terrible. Some Islanders don't want to get their nose dirty and the Hurricanes are all more than willing to do so. There seemed to be a game plan of trying that stretch pass and it was terrible as well. They kept missing the pass and it would result in an icing, to along with all the panic icings. The once calm and collected Pelech has become so jittery with the puck and is just looking to get rid of it ASAP, even when he has a ton of space. Reilly was the only defenseman capable of carrying the puck at all.

I just can't stand their willingness to allow their opponent to dictate play the entire night. It's not "turtling," it's being so unsure of what they're supposed to do or being completely ineffective. They're making hope plays when they get the puck instead of knowing where their teammates are going to be.
One thing leads to another. When you're constantly on your heals, gassed, you're either hoping for a hail mary or looking to get the puck merely over the red line so you can change. Doesn't bode well for creating offense.

Nassau Revisited

Jun 16, 2017
I am not a systems person but to me it seems like the wingers are never in position to receive a pass from the D. That forces the D to throw the puck up the boards. It would also help if the D ever attempted to skate with the puck; instead the treat it like a grenade

Reactions: Lek

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Sure Mikey = BLOW IT UP no one is untouchable and everyone is expendable starting with the GM who IMO believes this group can compete sadly the window has closed on him and it closed on this group 3 years ago

What you wrote is VERY possible and it is the definition of insanity but hopefully they blow this mess up and start from scratch

So you don’t have a plan.

Reactions: xECK29x

Poulin 0n My St1ck

Oct 18, 2010
It's stunning how our players lose their poise when the opponent comes at us with a push. It goes along with why they've struggled so much playing with a lead in 3rd periods all season long. It's everyone on the team. Vets who take inopportune penalties, Pelech is an icing machine when the opponent pulls their goalie for the extra attacker, blown tires, broken sticks, missed assignments, failed clears, bad passes. It's pervasive and runs across the entire bench.

They've come a long way from being "comfortable in uncomfortable situations."
When the game is on the line, Pelech crumbles under pressure. He lacks any semblance of poise and is frantic out there.

It was the complete opposite when Trotz was here.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Saw that blown lead coming from a mile away. Hopefully Lou is gone in the offseason and some of this core is shaken up. They will be remembered well but their time has come and gone. Could be some lean years ahead for the Isles faithful.

Could be, but they don't have to be lean.

There are plenty of pieces here to work with. Alterations are required and some savvy lateral moves could jumpstart things on several fronts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad