GDT: R1:G2 | New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | April 22nd | 7:30 PM | F/5-3 L

islesfan186

YES! YES! YES!
Jul 5, 2012
Tennessee
Adam Pelech is a shocking. He has declined so much. It’s like if there is a way to make a mistake he will find it. He’s constantly out of position. It’s a tough move to make because of history here but he has to go.
It’s almost as if he (and Pulock) are system players. Both have been ass since Trotz left

Arsenalogist24

Dec 10, 2013
I still cannot fathom how right after the game was tied a time out wasn’t used with the directive get us to overtime. Maybe MAYBE that then lets us find our game again for OT. Just brutal

Reactions: BelovedIsles

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
Not sure who this is about but I hope Dobson is playing hurt. This Carolina forecheck is just barreling him over every time someone gets near him. Kills the team when the 6'4 doesn't want to use his frame.

I’m sure this is about number 13.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
IF you have a GM or organization who can judge talent and actually rebuild it from scratch then in 3 or 4 years we are having a much different conversation BUT if you continue with the status quo = then you are spot on
The isles NUMBER ONE issue is that they're too loyal for their own good. Its time to sharpen the axe on players who aren't producing.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
This loss was the result of a snowballing cascade of little errors that turned into an avalanche: Missed passes, lazy icings, falls, dropped sticks, penalties, failed clearing attempts, missed assignments-etc. Butch and everyone else could see it and mentioned it constantly. When it became 3-2 I felt like it was over. And.......This Canes squad is uber talented. I knew they were deep, skilled and fast....but they are also HUGE. Isles are outclassed here but time to dig down and see what kind of heart this team has.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
This loss was the result of a snowballing cascade of little errors that turned into an avalanche: Missed passes, lazy icings, falls, dropped sticks, penalties, failed clearing attempts, missed assignments-etc. Butch and everyone else could see it and mentioned it constantly. When it became 3-2 I felt like it was over. And.......This Canes squad is uber talented. I knew they were deep, skilled and fast....but they are also HUGE. Isles are outclassed here but time to dig down and see what kind of heart this team has.

And we are the same team with new parts that cost us a mortgage of our future yet again. where are the free agents? the last free agent worth a shit we signed was VARLAMOV IN 2019. Its been five years. Lamoriello either is too stubborn for his own good, or nobody does want to play for us. It makes me just feel worse about the future because we need something to keep us in the race against the Rangers and Hurricanes.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
It might be time to accept that there is/was only one coach in the modern era that could have success this roster and that is Trotz.

I have no issues with Roy, he came into the cockpit of a plane on a nose-dive and has kept his composure, but at what do you accept that it’s obvious this roster make-up is not capable of playing how he demands?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don't view the game as a "collapse." They were outplayed the entire game and benefited from luck, goaltending and ridiculous shot blocking. The final score 5-3 actually makes it sound way closer than it should've been. 7-1 would've more indicative of the way the game was played. In fact, it should've been like 5-1 Canes after 2, not 3-1 Isles. I was thinking to myself when it was 3-0 that I would actually take overtime, knowing that Carolina was going to start scoring. Alas, not even OT was meant to be.

Reasons for optimism:

This team can hang with Carolina. They outplayed, out chanced and outshot them in game 1. Game 2 was DOMINATED by the Canes but even so, they were able to withstand barrage after barrage. And they also capitalized on their own scoring opportunities which was nice to see. Limit their possession just a bit, spend more time in the O zone, play more like game 1, less like game 2 and there's no reason why they can't take game 3 (and game 4). Home cookin' here we come.

And can we stop with the stupid f***ing rebuild posts in the game day thread?

• Haha
Reactions: MarsTBOW and MJF

Heart of Vukota

Jul 6, 2011
Rocky Point
Isles need to abandon the dump and chase. This aging group is just not quick enough to recover the puck. I'm not as knowledgeable about the game as most of you but it seems that this is just not a good strategy anymore??.

Most good teams carry the puck across the line into the offensive zone. Meanwhile, the isles D is so soft, they don't ever stand anyone up coming into the zone. Opposing teams are allowed to enter and set up plays with very little resistance. Also, Carolina's ability to feed the open defensive players on the point is consistent.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times double masked they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
So…shut…the f***…up.
z1Nej40.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Isles need to abandon the dump and chase. This aging group is just not quick enough to recover the puck. I'm not as knowledgeable about the game as most of you but it seems that this is just not a good strategy anymore??.

Most good teams carry the puck across the line into the offensive zone. Meanwhile, the isles D is so soft, they don't ever stand anyone up coming into the zone. Opposing teams are allowed to enter and set up plays with very little resistance. Also, Carolina's ability to feed the open defensive players on the point is consistent.
Like its insane how Carolina just doesn't stop. They shoot at any direction and they just get someone in front every chance they get. Isles are just so passive in front of the net as well. I am BEGGING we make a push for Sam Reinhart in free agency but it won't happen.

Reactions: Bondra slapshot

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I don't view the game as a "collapse." They were outplayed the entire game and benefited from luck, goaltending and ridiculous shot blocking. The final score 5-3 actually makes it sound way closer than it should've been. 7-1 would've more indicative of the way the game was played. In fact, it should've been like 5-1 Canes after 2, not 3-1 Isles. I was thinking to myself when it was 3-0 that I would actually take overtime, knowing that Carolina was going to start scoring. Alas, not even OT was meant to be.

You might be the only one.

In the current NHL, which is made up of stifling defensive systems, and the Isles -- NOT having a potent offensive, will ONLY win games based upon their defense.. Which -- as we all know -- has been kinda average at best this year.

So when you're in the playoffs, and really need a win to NOT be down 0-2 -- and have a two goal lead in the third, you BETTER be able to hold on. Canes are relentless and we were throwing chum in the water to make them even crazier. Isles D was attacked all night.

Im not surprised that they lost, tbh, but to lose in that fashion -- 5 unanswered -- with near zero offensive the last half of the game -- its just embarrassing. Isles just have no answer for them.

And then to take offense at the empty net goal and start with the antics. Embarrasing. I guess get on the highlight reel anyway you can, right?

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
You might be the only one.

In the current NHL, which is made up of stifling defensive systems, and the Isles -- NOT having a potent offensive, will ONLY win games based upon their defense.. Which -- as we all know -- has been kinda average at best this year.

So when you're in the playoffs, and really need a win to NOT be down 0-2 -- and have a two goal lead in the third, you BETTER be able to hold on. Canes are relentless and we were throwing chum in the water to make them even crazier. Isles D was attacked all night.

Im not surprised that they lost, tbh, but to lose in that fashion -- 5 unanswered -- with near zero offensive the last half of the game -- its just embarrassing. Isles just have no answer for them.

And then to take offense at the empty net goal and start with the antics. Embarrasing. I guess get on the highlight reel anyway you can, right?
I guess what I was trying to say was there was nothing really to collapse from. It's not like they played well, scored a bunch and then all of a sudden fell apart. They sucked the whole game. Or, more accurately, Carolina was really good all game. They were EXTREMELY fortunate to be up 3-0. They were vastly outplayed before that and continued to be outplayed after that. Like I said, Carolina could've scored 8 or more goals.

Reactions: Bones45

gordie43

Nov 21, 2008
I really wish Roy would be more proactive with his timeouts

Isles were getting ropeadpped in the third, call timeout and settle everyone fown
I don’t think the timeouts would have helped. There is something wrong with this team. Every time we think they turn a corner they do something like last night.

Lambert now Roy, pains me to say it but thetr must be something rotten in that lockerroom. Different voice same results the results.

Reactions: MJF and Osakahaus

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
LLast night was symptomatic of the Isles whole season. How many times have we seen them choke at the end of games? It cam as no surprise and the way they were outplayed speaks volumes. They are a long way away from competing for a cup.
It's stunning how our players lose their poise when the opponent comes at us with a push. It goes along with why they've struggled so much playing with a lead in 3rd periods all season long. It's everyone on the team. Vets who take inopportune penalties, Pelech is an icing machine when the opponent pulls their goalie for the extra attacker, blown tires, broken sticks, missed assignments, failed clears, bad passes. It's pervasive and runs across the entire bench.

They've come a long way from being "comfortable in uncomfortable situations."

Last edited:

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
I don’t think the timeouts would have helped. There is something wrong with this team. Every time we think they turn a corner they do something like last night.

Lambert now Roy, pains me to say it but thetr must be something rotten in that lockerroom. Different voice same results the results.
Why must there be something rotten in the locker room? Carolina is a much better team, with more high-end talent. They are also a terrible match up for us.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
It's stunning how our players lose their poise when the opponent comes at us with a push. It goes along with why they've struggled so much playing with a lead in 3rd periods all season long. It's everyone on the team. Vets who take inopportune penalties, Pelech is an icing machine when the opponent pulls their goalie for the extra attacker, blown tires, broken sticks, missed assignments. It's pervasive and runs across the entire bench.

They've come a long way from being "comfortable in uncomfortable situations."
The opponent came at them all game long with a push. I don't think they lost their poise as much as law of averages finally catching up to them. If it wasn't for puck luck, Varlamov and crazy shot blocking, the Canes could've easily scored their three goals in the 2nd as opposed to the 3rd.

I saw them play the same way in the 1st as they did at the end of the 3rd - shell shocked, hanging on for dear life trying withstand the barrage.

Reactions: Metnut

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
I guess what I was trying to say was there was nothing really to collapse from. It's not like they played well, scored a bunch and then all of a sudden fell apart. They sucked the whole game. Or, more accurately, Carolina was really good all game. They were EXTREMELY fortunate to be up 3-0. They were vastly outplayed before that and continued to be outplayed after that. Like I said, Carolina could've scored 8 or more goals.

Definitely. It aint easy being an Isles fan. They'll probably win one at UBS, but they're not coming back from Carolina....

Not sure about that -- the Canes are just THAT much better.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I still cannot fathom how right after the game was tied a time out wasn’t used with the directive get us to overtime. Maybe MAYBE that then lets us find our game again for OT. Just brutal

Yeah I did not get it either. We so often see in the postseason that when a team collapses and blows a 3rd period lead but DOES make it to OT they often have a bit of a flurry and edge in the OT, at least early because I think the intermission sort of causes the opponent to lose their edge. I felt decently good they could still steal it in OT even at 3-3

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Yeah I did not get it either. We so often see in the postseason that when a team collapses and blows a 3rd period lead but DOES make it to OT they often have a bit of a flurry and edge in the OT, at least early because I think the intermission sort of causes the opponent to lose their edge. I felt decently good they could still steal it in OT even at 3-3
Really? I knew it was over as soon as it was 3-2. There was too much time left and with the inevitable extra push and extra skater, another goal was sure to follow. And OT would've been more of the same - an onslaught.

Reactions: BelovedIsles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad