GDT: R1:G1 | New York Islanders @ Carolina Hurricanes | April 20th | 5 PM | F/L 3-1

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
The league seems more hell bent on making sure every fan becomes a gambling addict.

That too, but I also don't think it's just the NHL. It's professional sports top to bottom. I personally never cared if sports gambling was legalized or not, but now that it is, it's pretty much ruining the enjoyment of watching games for anyone who doesn't gamble.

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Also, HF is a bit of an old boys’ club, where the newer you are, the less leeway you’re given (or at worst, the lesser you’re thought of). I think doing away with Join Date visibility might be a bit helpful towards getting away from that.
You think so? I’ve only noticed (or recalled I guess) welcoming posts and such.

Perhaps a better reason for the decline could be how awful this place is with pop up adds on a phone. It’s borderline unusable.

Just my .02

Top Corner

Feb 27, 2002
Mtl
Visit site
I think several have already chimed in about lack of finish from this group and it basically will boil down to not how much you outworked or outplayed, it will come down to “did you out score them ?“. It’s sadly been a deficiency for this club.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Jacob Slavin and Mika Zibanajed survived such vicious attacks. Lets all light a candle for them.

I think several have already chimed in about lack of finish from this group and it basically will boil down to not how much you outworked or outplayed, it will come down to “did you out score them ?“. It’s sadly been a deficiency for this club.
Which is a shame because in 2020 and 2021, they just converted every single great chance they got at the very least. Remember the Bruins series?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
You’ll notice that most people who post here have done so for years. When you don’t have a steady inflow of new posters to balance out the exodus to the modern forums of the internet…

Also, HF is a bit of an old boys’ club, where the newer you are, the less leeway you’re given (or at worst, the lesser you’re thought of). I think doing away with Join Date visibility might be a bit helpful towards getting away from that.

To address your old boys club comment, it's 100% true. The reason might not be quite what you think though, at least when it comes to anyone moderating. We're able to see more information than just join dates so there are a lot of "new" people who simply aren't new.

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016
To address your old boys club comment, it's 100% true. The reason might not be quite what you think though, at least when it comes to anyone moderating. We're able to see more information than just join dates so there are a lot of "new" people who simply aren't new.
This is getting quite off topic, but I’m curious what you mean by that. If I delete my current account (or just stop using it), create a new account with a new email address, how could you tell that I’m not really a new poster?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
This is getting quite off topic, but I’m curious what you mean by that. If I delete my current account (or just stop using it), create a new account with a new email address, how could you tell that I’m not really a new poster?

I'll send you a PM.

Reactions: Zeeker

Potvottier

Jan 3, 2024
We could say that we didn't finish well, but I think we should be giving the Canes players a kudos, for extra effort. We had lots of chances, but most of them were thwarted by great 2nd efforts from the Canes players. We could learn from them. While I think this is our best team in 20 years, we still have a few passengers. Guys that just don't put out 100%, for various reasons.

It shows.

Everyone should be hitting. No excuses. Not with the intent of injuring another player, but to wear them down. Force them to commit errors. Get in their heads. Guys like Barzal, Nelson, Engvall, Holmstrom, Dobson... all need to pick up their physical game. No excuses. We really cannot say that this is a man's game anymore, since women are playing. But we can declare that this is a sport where toughness is an asset. We need more.

Backchecking and forechecking. They have to. No but's. ALL 5 players move up the ice together, and back together, as a unit. Any stragglers need to sit their ass down a bit. Back Checking is a necessity that we all know of. Forechecking with speed is an excellent form of defense, but for it to work properly, the D have to be up in the play. I feel like Pelech is slow to move up, as well as Mayfield. Nothing is more frustrating for a forward, than to bust your **** for checking, steal the puck away, And as you go to pass the back to the defenseman, you see him at his own blue line.

Speed is obviously a big part of forechecking and backchecking. We need more.

If a coach is not working on team confidence, he should be a trainer, maybe? Seriously... confidence is HUGE! Not just with kids. When I was playing competitive hockey, and I made a mistake, I would beat myself up more than any opponent would. And there are guys that would make a mistake and blame it on somebody else. These two types of guys are team killers. The coach and the staff need to constantly be on these guys about keeping a positive attitude. One bad apple.....

We are close. I can taste it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Wow
Reactions: Bondra slapshot

Tres Peleches

Johnny Turncoat
Jul 13, 2011
PK Cronin visits each new members house and gets them personally

Reactions: PK Cronin

Big L

Grandpa’s Cough Medicine is 180 Proof
Feb 7, 2013
CT
IP address

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
We gave it our all in game 1 and it wasn't good enough. When the Canes needed to turn it up (i.e. the 3rd period), they did very easily.

We will not win this series, I say it only goes 5 games. Dobson is obviously playing hurt. H had no speed at all, very stiff out there. Pageau is hurt, Holstrom was horrible. Best line was our 3rd line with MacLean, Lee and Engvall....mainly just MacLean and Lee.

We, the isles, use to be a hard team to play because we were physical and hit everything. That is NOT the case anymore. Canes were much more physical....

Reactions: The Real JT

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Question. I have not been very active on this board this season, but have been lately for the late season push and now the playoffs. Where is everybody? In the past we'd have 30+ pages for a playoff game and we barely have 20 today. Where did everybody go? I don't see posts from many people who were active posters in years past.
Why bother posting when the other 99% is one big whine-fest?

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
The league seems more hell bent on making sure every fan becomes a gambling addict.
While I don’t think that’s their intent, I also don’t believe they’re particularly troubled if that is a consequence.

The league’s interest in gambling partnerships is primarily financial. The league makes money on the gambling ads and sponsorships. It’s a deal with the devil and the league has no moral backbone. They’re contributing to an epidemic of problem gambling amongst many people who can least afford it.

As a fan, I find the ever present ads and celebrity promotions (like Gretzky) cheapens the product. It won’t be long before NHL players get suspended for gambling. It just happened in the NBA and you’d have to be naive to think that’s an isolated case that won’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not completely against gambling. I just think that some things are best left in the shadows.

• Love
Reactions: leeroggy

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
While I don’t think that’s their intent, I also don’t believe they’re particularly troubled if that is a consequence.

The league’s interest in gambling partnerships is primarily financial. The league makes money on the gambling ads and sponsorships. It’s a deal with the devil and the league has no moral backbone. They’re contributing to an epidemic of problem gambling amongst many people who can least afford it.

As a fan, I find the ever present ads and celebrity promotions (like Gretzky) cheapens the product. It won’t be long before NHL players get suspended for gambling. It just happened in the NBA and you’d have to be naive to think that’s an isolated case that won’t happen again.

Don’t get me wrong. I’m not completely against gambling. I just think that some things are best left in the shadows.
I kinda said it facetiously in the sense that that is not their true intent. Certainly, an indirect one will happen.

However, it’s a bit absurd how every component of the game now from pre-game to the end, announcers, in gamers, etc. the various bets are all jammed down the viewers eyeballs. It’s not mentioned several times, it’s interwoven into the entire game experience.

It’s just a mad rush to get it out there. In the Uk, gambling is a big deal. However, the Premier League doesn’t go to this level of marketing to engage its fans. Like you said, it’s there, you know where to go, enjoy.

Suffolkbull3

Apr 27, 2016
i was very surprised to see how well they played, so many golden opptys to score the go ahead goal smh… whats depressing js the entire hockey world knows they have got to stay out of the box to have a shot in this series and low and behold a couple mins into the game they take a fkn penalty smh….i hope they can pull out a game 2 w so that ubs will be in a frenzy for game 3 and ill be there for it…

on a diff note, as much as i love MM he is just a tremendous liability out there. it hurts to say that as he has given so much of himself to this team but at the end of the day its a business and he is just a skating -1 whenever he is on the ice. LGI!!! game 2 A MUST WIN. GAME lol

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005

I think it is super sad that Gretzky is doing gambling ads. And participating in the buffoonery with the other idiots on the TNT panel. This man is hockey royalty. He should be above this nonsense. Would Jean Beliveau or Bobby Orr stoop this low? I understand he needs to make money and these are some of the more lucrative options, but man, I wish it wasn't like that.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
I think it is super sad that Gretzky is doing gambling ads. And participating in the buffoonery with the other idiots on the TNT panel. This man is hockey royalty. He should be above this nonsense. Would Jean Beliveau or Bobby Orr stoop this low? I understand he needs to make money and these are some of the more lucrative options, but man, I wish it wasn't like that.
Something doesn’t make sense for him. He moved from LA to STL (of all places), the MGM ads, the TNT gig, etc. His public reasoning for moving to STL was to be closer for flying.

Mario owned a team, saved it, sold it, and faded to the background (was generally in the background).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad