R.I.P. Lou Fontinato

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

I saw that. One of his biggest moments was a fight he had with Gordie Howe at MSG in the 50's. One of the linesman recounted they were hitting each other so hard it sounded like two people chopping down trees. Fontinato's face after that fight became the cover for an edition of Life magazine. It was a mess--apparently Gordie's was too--cut over both eyes.

nsvoyageurs

Jun 5, 2012
NS Canada
He was before my time, but he was one of the more popular players in Rangers' history.

Some of the older posters on here would remember seeing him play and have stories to tell.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
He was before my time, but he was one of the more popular players in Rangers' history.

Some of the older posters on here would remember seeing him play and have stories to tell.

He was well before my time too--I just remember reading that story and I've seen the picture of Fontinato's face after that fight.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I never saw him play live, I was just a bit late to that party. He took great pride in his work, much to the discomfort of opposing players, ha ha.
R.I.P. Lou

Jxmarts

Sep 8, 2008
Gordie Howe & Lou Fontinato were bound together in hockey lore as far back as I could remember. And now they pass away within one month of each other. RIP, both Lou & Gordie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad