R.I.P. Carol Vadnais

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
CAROL VADNAIS - RIP

Very sad news indeed.

I started to follow the Bruins daily after they won the Stanley Cup in 1970.

Jumping to February 1972 - The Bruins were at the top in NHL but was just a point ahead or below the New York Rangers and few points ahead of the Montreal Canadiens.

(This was after the Bruins had their fantastic season in 70/71. Phil Esposito scored 76 goals and as many assist for League record (at the time) 152 PTS. Bobby Orr scored 37 goals plus 102 assist= 139 plus had an astonishing plus/minus record of +124. Still a record. But as all know the Bruins lost to Montreal 4-3 in the first round of the playoffs 1971).

Bobby Orr played, but was really knee injured, Don Awrey had missed most of the season with an ankle injury. Ted Green, Dallas Smith, Rick Smith and rookie Bob Stewart filled in admireably. But, the Bruins were uncertain whether Bobby's knee would hold.

Without Bobby Orr (if unable), they would have no defenseman filling the role of a quarterback, so Carol Vadnais, was about the closest thing, they could get.
But, Carol Vadnais, who always dressed like a gentleman, always perfect (as EspOrrsito mentioned about Vadnais shaving because it wasn't perfect), wasn't about to come cheap.
I think the Canadiens wanted him too.

To get the big, swift skating and multitalented Carol Vadnais (who always had a deep French accent in his English) the Bruins paid a big price. 1970 third draft pick overall, RW Reggie Leach, who would turn out to be the goalscorer he was predicted to be, a young but very good allround defenseman in Rick Smith plus rookie defenseman, tough Bob Stewart, age 22. The Bruins recieved a minor leaguer I can't remember much about, Dan O'Donoghue.

I thought they gave up too much. But getting a star in his prime like Carol Vadnais the price maybe was right at the time. It proved to be.

It is true however what Dan says, that Carol Vadnais first game as a Bruin, turned out to Vad's worst performance in a Bruins jersey. In fact Carol Vadnais had some trouble adjusting to the Bruins style of play. Vadnais was big star and a flamboyant guy in California.

Going from last place team to the first place team that already had bigger stars
(Orr & Esposito), a bigger personality (Derek Sanderson) wasn't as easy as everybody thought. Orr and Vadnais on the power play would be a killer. It took a while but....

The Bruins shifted Dallas Smith to Bobby Orr so Vadnais would play with Don Awrey when came back from injury, then shifted them again. Orr-Awrey, Vadnais-Smith, then finally settling on Orr with Smith, Carol Vadnais with Don Awrey.

Things got better and with a better Carol Vadnais the Bruins got better too and Carol Vadnais helped the Bruins win the Stanley Cup in that 1972 season. Even Bobby Orr mentioned this after the final. (Vad got critized in the beginning but found his form in just the time).

I believe he won the 7th player award the year after, in 1972-73 season sharing the Trophy with Don Marcotte, the hardworking, hardchecking winger and penalty killer.

I was as shocked as anybody an early morning in 1975, the first news I heard was that Phil Esposito had been traded to New York Rangers. I waited for more news. Brad Park of course. I had always liked Brad Park since the Canada - Russia summit series.

But Esposito, I couldn't think of Espo in another jersey than the Bruins. Then came the news that Carol Vadnais was in the deal. The Bruins couldn't have traded Esposito and Vadnais for Brad Park. Park was also playing on a damage knee. I looked at the Rangers roster and they had noone I could think of, perhaps Walt Tkaczuk (who was in the deal, but, in the last second the Bruins thankfully changed to Jean Ratelle).

I didn't like it. Jean Ratelle was old on paper at least. But he turned out to become a great Bruin. One of best Bruins, I've seen, elegance and an hockey IQ most players won't be near. Then the Bruins also got Joe Zanussi who was a non factor.

In 1977 Carol Vadnais and Phil Esposito played for Team Canada at the World Champions in Gothenburgh, Sweden. Players were from NHL teams that missed the playoffs. It was also the first year every player participating in World Champions Chips had to wear helmets. Oh, my. Did Phil and Carol, who both were sort of extremely caring about their hairstyle, ever looked out of place wearing helmets.

Phil was so discusted he threw his helmet up in the stands after a 10-minute misconduct. Carol Vadnais seemed uninterested too. Canada lost big and I hesitated a bit going down saying hallo to Esposito and Vadnais.

But as the end was near Espo had gone to the showers. I placed my myself near the players entrance and looked at Carol Vadnais all the time to see if he would recognize me? He looked down mostly, but, all of sudden our Eyes met and smile came off Carol's face. "Dat guy I know" he pointed towards me and took off his glove. We shook hands and he complained about the lousy referees, that they had to wear helmets, so I just said "terrible, but nice to meet you". He punched me in the chest and said "nice town" twinkled his eye as in (we gonna take a look at it again tonight).

It's sad. Very sad. Carol Vadnais was a nice guy and a great hockey with style, on and off the ice.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I always remember Eddie Andelman's show and his 'Whaddya think of the Vadnais trade' schtick.

Sad to lose another Bruin from the glory days as well as a Golden Seal (that's a special group as well).

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Great post Pepe, not much to add. Only that Dallas actually won the 7th Player in '73 and Vads and Marcotte shared it in '74. Remember Vadnais overheard by the ice microphone choosing the "Celica" car when the two were rolled out.

Vadnais did indeed fortify a Boston defense for that '72 run in which they gave up fewer goals and really won with more grit. Bumping Terrible Ted to the 5 hole was a tough pill for Green to swallow and he went WHA with Cheevers, McKenzie and Sanderson in '72. Losing Leach would hurt, though, as much as MacLeish, the other prospect of the same magnitude and era, in the 1970 Walton deal. Both guys were very good short-term Bruins and played significant roles in the '72 Cup run (but both became big-time Philly Flyers, in part at Boston's expense -- Game 6 GWG tip-in by MacLeish on 5/19/74. and Leach haunted them in the '76 semis). Walton went WHA in '73, Vads to NYR in Nov. '75. He and Espo were kind of lost until the 78-79 Shero Rangers with the Swedes and the Maloneys toppled 1st-overall NYI and stole a game in the Forum before falling in 5.

Vadnais had one of the highest back swings in the history of slap shots ... always got a kick out of that.

My only memorable bugaboo with him was three chances to clear the zone in Game 2 OT vs. Philly and finally rimmed it around right. O'Reilly's ducking cutback move read by rival Dave Schultz, popping the turnover that led to Clarke's GWG. Series turner. I retrospect, the right team won that championship, but Boston could have stolen that one the way the Canadiens stole one more in '79 and the Lakers stole one more in '88. Not shoulda, but definitely coulda.

One more thing on the goaltending: Cheevers had some crappy stretches in that '71 season, and the Bruins were a tandem system. Easy to forget that, in the '72 playoffs, Johnston outplayed Cheevers with an unbeaten record and a GAA under 2, earning the start for the potential clincher Game 5 at home. My first sleepout for tickets, and Boston led 2-0 before Bobby Rousseau and a funky deflection off either Awrey's or Dallas Smith's skate for the winner that sent it back to MSG for Cheevers' redemption performance (3-0).

PepeBostones

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2002
Thank you doc5hole for correcting me. Of course you're right.
I appreciate your post.
Years go by too fast and you see friends and players you followed
so close, pass away.
Then you realize how vulnerable we are as human beings.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Thank you doc5hole for correcting me. Of course you're right.
I appreciate your post.
Years go by too fast and you see friends and players you followed
so close, pass away.
Then you realize how vulnerable we are as human beings.

1972 was the year I started collecting hockey cards including Vadnais with the Seals I think (always fascinated with the Charlie Finley colored uni's). Definitely feeling old as those guys pass by the wayside.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad