R.I.P. Carol Vadnais

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Wasn't Carol Vadnais the one that would send a high lob on the net ? I believe he scores more than a few goals like that.

So sad

EspOrrsito

edumacated
Feb 27, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
Very sorry to read that Carol passed away.

He was a real favorite of mine back then and when he was traded to the Rangers with Espo I couldn't believe it.

When I was a youngster I used to get autographs of NHL players and I remember when I asked Carol for his I asked him why he shaved his mustache off, he smiled at me and said he had to because he cut it crooked.

R.I.P. Carol.

4834-1179283Fr.jpg

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
A reminder of how quickly time passes....."Bad Vad" was one of my favorite players on the 72 Cup Champions

Condolences to his family...in my minds eye he will always be 26 and lifting the Cup in New York.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Very sorry to read that Carol passed away.

When I was a youngster I used to get autographs of NHL players and I remember when I asked Carol for his I asked him why he shaved his mustache off, he smiled at me and said he had to because he cut it crooked.

R.I.P. Carol.

4834-1179283Fr.jpg

I'm so sorry to hear this actually, my stomach turned a little as I saw his name. He was actually a favorite of mine and I used to debate a girl in my 5th grade class when she said he was lousy and liked Dallas Smith way more (not that I didn't like Smith, but for some reason she hated Vadnais)....I'm so really sorry and sad to read this. I remember reading or hearing him say the bolded about not trimming his mustache straight. I believe that I was home on February vacation when they announced that they traded for him from the Golden Seals and I was thrilled because I loved watching him play as I did Orr and (begrudgingly at the time) Brad Park.
God Bless his soul and may he rest in Peace. :(

Last edited:

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ORRBRUIN View Post
Wasn't Carol Vadnais the one that would send a high lob on the net ? I believe he scores more than a few goals like that.

So sad
Yes he was!!~ I believe that I remember (for some reason) that he scored that way on the Flyers in two games in a row. Every so often during a B's game I wonder why almost nobody tries that anymore.

Last edited:

Dreghorn2

He's a Good Boy!
Feb 8, 2005
Oh man, this is so sad.

I was Carol Vadnais many many times playing pond and street hockey as a young teenager.

RIP.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Recall him more from his days with the Rags only because I was too young to recall him as a Bruin....R.I.P. indeed

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
so sad.....I remember going to Fours Restaurant after a Bruins game and walking in and seeing a table inside with a bunch of scouts sitting their smoking cigars and having a few- and right in the middle was Vadnais.

He won a Cup with Boston but was never as good as I thought he'd be but he was in one of the biggest trades in sports history - maybe the biggest that didn't have a money angle,

his first game as a Bruins may have been one of the greatest of all time and would be my pick to represent who and what the Big Bad Bruins were all about.

Boston was down 5-1 (actually just looked it up the Bruins were down 5 goals) on the road in the West Coast vs Seals and came back and won 8-6 on a hat trick by Fred Stanfield and 5 points by Bobby Orr. If memory serves correct Vadnais swapped dressing rooms and played his first game against former team- and was pretty brutal.

I heard later they were so hung over from partying and staying out they were more concerned not puking on the ice during a shift.

Needless to say Orr and Espo just went off on the ice and the rest is history.

If Mick reads this tell me if I am right on this but pretty sure this may have been correct (maybe it was the Schmautz first game, but I do think it was when they got Vad-a-nayz as Johnny Piersson called him)

Carol always seemed to belong on Montreal though- that is how I felt once we got him, but he was pretty good

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
He was a perfect fit with that swashbuckling Bruins team,tough and talented with some questionable behaviors. Loved having him here.

Gordoff

Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
so sad.....I remember going to Fours Restaurant after a Bruins game and walking in and seeing a table inside with a bunch of scouts sitting their smoking cigars and having a few- and right in the middle was Vadnais.

He won a Cup with Boston but was never as good as I thought he'd be but he was in one of the biggest trades in sports history - maybe the biggest that didn't have a money angle,

his first game as a Bruins may have been one of the greatest of all time and would be my pick to represent who and what the Big Bad Bruins were all about.

Boston was down 5-1 (actually just looked it up the Bruins were down 5 goals) on the road in the West Coast vs Seals and came back and won 8-6 on a hat trick by Fred Stanfield and 5 points by Bobby Orr. If memory serves correct Vadnais swapped dressing rooms and played his first game against former team- and was pretty brutal.

I heard later they were so hung over from partying and staying out they were more concerned not puking on the ice during a shift.

Needless to say Orr and Espo just went off on the ice and the rest is history.

If Mick reads this tell me if I am right on this but pretty sure this may have been correct (maybe it was the Schmautz first game, but I do think it was when they got Vad-a-nayz as Johnny Piersson called him)

Carol always seemed to belong on Montreal though- that is how I felt once we got him, but he was pretty good

Yes I remember that game. It wasn't Bobby Schmautz's first for sure since that (trade) happened a couple of years after the Vadnais trade. That game sticks in my memory because I woke up my parents by screaming and jumping up and down so many times lol. Pretty sure it was Carol's first game as a B though.

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Yes I remember that game. It wasn't Bobby Schmautz's first for sure since that (trade) happened a couple of years after the Vadnais trade. That game sticks in my memory because I woke up my parents by screaming and jumping up and down so many times lol. Pretty sure it was Carol's first game as a B though.

after I posted I typed in something like Bruins comeback against Seals Fred Stanfield hat trick and got the story- Feb 23, 1972 and that was the day they traded for Vadnais, so he did swap teams.

If I could acquire one entire video of a game from that era I think that would be the game....they would win a Cup that year and had most of the guys in that game. It showed how damn good the Bruins were when they wanted to be. I just wish Harry Sinden coached that team and the 1971. Sinden would have never, ever let the Bruins screw up that first round series against Montreal. I see Harry every now and then, even last year as I was leaving one game, and have always wanted to ask him if he would have started EJ in game 2 of that 1971 series or go with the superior Cheevers. let go, I know.

I read they were down 6 goals and it was the biggest come back in the history of the NHL at that time.....not sure if its been eclipsed or not but would not surprise me if no team has ever come back down 6-0.

Mick will somehow drop the tennis racked and stumble into this thread at some point and will set me straight on the details:laugh:

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
My dad worked for the Seals back then. Always spoke very highly of Carol, super nice and genuine guy.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
after I posted I typed in something like Bruins comeback against Seals Fred Stanfield hat trick and got the story- Feb 23, 1972 and that was the day they traded for Vadnais, so he did swap teams.

If I could acquire one entire video of a game from that era I think that would be the game....they would win a Cup that year and had most of the guys in that game. It showed how damn good the Bruins were when they wanted to be. I just wish Harry Sinden coached that team and the 1971. Sinden would have never, ever let the Bruins screw up that first round series against Montreal. I see Harry every now and then, even last year as I was leaving one game, and have always wanted to ask him if he would have started EJ in game 2 of that 1971 series or go with the superior Cheevers. let go, I know.

I read they were down 6 goals and it was the biggest come back in the history of the NHL at that time.....not sure if its been eclipsed or not but would not surprise me if no team has ever come back down 6-0.

Mick will somehow drop the tennis racked and stumble into this thread at some point and will set me straight on the details:laugh:

"Greatest comebacks" has to have some sort of reference such as time remaining in the game etc as of course does the quality of your competition.

I don't think anything compares to the Miracle on Manchester.

NHL teams have come back from 5-0 down 127 times in NHL history. I can't find anything on comebacks from 6-0 down, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

As for Vadnais, one of my favorites back in the day, even when he went to the Rangers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad