R.I.P. Alexander Skvortsov

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Alexander Skvortsov at eliteprospects.com

He was a very underrated forward. Him, Kovin and Varnakov were one of the top Soviet lines back to end of 70s - begining of 80s. The most wonderful thing about them was, they didn't play on CSKA or even a Moscow club, but on Torpedo Gorkiy (N. Novgorod nowadays). Skvortsov played a lot vs NHL teams (3 Canada Cups participations) and was pretty succesful against them. He died ealier today at age 65.

Reactions: seventieslord

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I believe he only played with his Torpedo Gorky linemates in the 1979 Challenge Cup and 1984 Canada Cup. Other than those tournaments they never played together as a line in the national team.

In the national team Skvortsov most often played with Viktor Zhluktov. The other winger in that line was Andrei Khomutov and sometimes Irek Gimayev.

He was one of the most unknown great Soviet players. I always liked him as a player. And his prime (1976-1985) coincided with the prime of the Soviet national team which is why I always associate him with the great Soviet teams of that time.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Not familiar with him to be honest...is there a game or tournament that he particularly stands out in...?
He was never a top line player in the national team. Most often he played in the fourth line.

He played in the following tournaments:
1976 Canada Cup
1979 Challenge Cup
1979 World Championships
1980 Olympics
1981 World Championships
1981 Canada Cup
1983 World Championships
1984 Olympics
1984 Canada Cup
1985 World Championships

As can be seen he was full-time player in the national team in his prime. Between 1979-1985 he only missed the 1982 World Championships from the major international tournaments. To be able to regularly crack the lineup of those Soviet teams you had to be a great player.

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes

It was that line that was on the ice at the end of the USSR - Canada semi-final game in the '84 Canada Cup, when Bossy scored, assisted by Coffey and Tonelli.

Kovin and Varnakov, I think, were the two guys on the 2 on 1 against Coffey prior to the goal.

I'm not sure what number Skvortsov was, can somebody confirm that he was the third guy on the ice that shift?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Both seventieslord and I have profiled him in the all-time draft board depth drafts.

I made a nice bio on him but I don't think it is linked and I am not good at searching with the board's format these days. I'll still try to dig it up this week.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad