Quinten Howden vs Brett Connelly

Erick*

I would take Connolly because Howden was drafted by the Panthers.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Connolly is overrated

Howden for me

This for me too.

I like players who have a ton of drive to their game. Howden has that. Connolly might have nicer hands and more pure offensive skills, but I want someone who will run through a wall for me, and that's Howden.

HemskyToHall*

Connolly not looking like the "best steal"?

He is arguably being outplayed by a fresh 6"6' Slovak rookie.

Too early to tell, but so far disappointing in my opinion.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Connolly not looking like the "best steal"?

He is arguably being outplayed by a fresh 6"6' Slovak rookie.

Too early to tell, but so far disappointing in my opinion.
Yeah, he was a very risky draft pick considering who was on the board. Connolly is real skilled but he's also a bit of a floater, and you gotta still have reservations about his health with that major hip injury that took him away from the game for almost a year (not to mention that hand that got destroyed when he was younger). Could turn out to be Stevie Y's biggest mistake so far when you consider that very proven, harder working, healthier players like Skinner and Fowler were on the board.

I'd still take Brett ConnOlly over QuintOn Howden though (seriously, Es are not Os), more skilled/higher upside IMO.

CAPiTA

Sep 4, 2008
Vancouver
You have to wonder what things might have been like if the Lightning took Skinner. Would he have made the bolts? Could you imagine a Skinner-Stamkos-St. Louis line? Oh my jeebus....

HemskyToHall*

You have to wonder what things might have been like if the Lightning took Skinner. Would he have made the bolts? Could you imagine a Skinner-Stamkos-St. Louis line? Oh my jeebus....

or even fowler, I question that move since tampa needs a puckmover and along with hedman will form a top pairing for the next decade.

and you throw in stamkos, st. louis, lecavalier, etc. wow

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I won't go as far as saying Howden is better than Connolly (or vice versa), as I haven't really seen either enough to comment. However, I didn't/don't quite understand why TBL picked a forward at #6; At the draft I thought they would be jumping for joy at an opportunity to get one of Fowler or Gormley, guess not.

CoolburnIsGone

The nice thing about Howden is even if he doesnt produce offensively in the NHL, you know he'll be a really good grinder and effective at the NHL level in one way or another. I'm not sure that Connolly if he isnt producing offensively, that he'd be a good forward in the NHL.

It was interesting too because leading up to the draft, some people had the Panthers selecting Connolly at #3 since they needed scoring so badly. But it looks like they got their scoring later in the 1st round between the Bjugstad and Howden picks.

Lundell4Prez

Yandle = Bad
Jul 5, 2008
Due to his style of play(size, speed), he could probably step into the NHL next year.. Talking of Howden

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Howden for me. he has size, speed and work ethic advantages. Also, he'll be able to grind a 3rd line role if need be, whereas Connolly doesn't have that same skill set to play 3rd line effectivelly. And so far, Howden has had less injury issues, but i guess that coulod change. Howden is so fast for a big guy, you have to see the speed in person to believe it.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I'll go with Connolly.

Even if Connolly doesn't completely pan out...he's going to be a top 6 forward. I think Howden's a 3rd liner but to his credit could probably be on a 4th line right now as he's a fast big body.

I do think the Panthers are going to like the guy they get in Howden though...I think he was a really safe pick.

The Hockey Hitman

Jul 26, 2006
7 months after hes drafted and people are already writing off Brett Connolly.

See how things are going in Howden and Connolly's careers, say, 4 years from now. I believe everyone look back at this thread(as you could with so many countless others on a hockey message board) and laugh. Look back from even farther down the road, say, 6, 8, 12 years down the road...I doubt there will be a single debate as to who is better, or more valuable, as a hockey player. Howden to me will become at best like the poster above me said, an RJ Umberger type, more likely a Tomas Kopecky.

Where as Connolly has the potential to be an all-star winger who could put up 30+ goals every season. One of these kind of players are a dime a dozen, the other isn't.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Howden isn't even close to being as skilled as Connolly. At this point, you have to go with the guy who has much higher upside. If Connolly stagnates for another year, then you might opt for Howden.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
7 months after hes drafted and people are already writing off Brett Connolly.

See how things are going in Howden and Connolly's careers, say, 4 years from now. I believe everyone look back at this thread(as you could with so many countless others on a hockey message board) and laugh. Look back from even farther down the road, say, 6, 8, 12 years down the road...I doubt there will be a single debate as to who is better, or more valuable, as a hockey player. Howden to me will become at best like the poster above me said, an RJ Umberger type, more likely a Tomas Kopecky.

Where as Connolly has the potential to be an all-star winger who could put up 30+ goals every season. One of these kind of players are a dime a dozen, the other isn't.

That's quite the ironic post. You tell others to not write-off Connolly, but at the same time write-off Howden.

Howden has the size/speed/skill to be a solid top6 winger. He's still developing offensively, there's no guarantee where his offensive ceiling lands.

umwoz

Feb 28, 2010
Connolly clearly has the higher offensive upside. Howden seems like he will be a very good 3rd liner in the future, think Kesler without the same offensive prowess. Yes, even similar skating speed to Kesler, it truly is remarkable.

He may top out as a 2nd liner, but I don't think he has a shot suited for the top line.

Maple Leafs Fan 2011

Jan 20, 2011
I would take Howden. He might not have same potental as brett but Howden's all around better than connely's. Connely has dissapointed me so far. Plus i like Howden's name better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad