Quinten Howden vs Brett Connelly

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Matheson4Prez, Jan 19, 2011.

1. Matheson4Prez

Matheson4Prez Yu - Behr - Doe

After watching the WJC, and to this point in the season... who would you take?

2. Erick*

Erick* Guest

I would take Connolly because Howden was drafted by the Panthers.

3. maroon 6

maroon 6 Live and let live

Connolly is overrated

Howden for me

4. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    This for me too.

I like players who have a ton of drive to their game. Howden has that. Connolly might have nicer hands and more pure offensive skills, but I want someone who will run through a wall for me, and that's Howden.

5. Connolly not looking like the "best steal"?

He is arguably being outplayed by a fresh 6"6' Slovak rookie.

Too early to tell, but so far disappointing in my opinion.

6. ponder

ponder Registered User

Yeah, he was a very risky draft pick considering who was on the board. Connolly is real skilled but he's also a bit of a floater, and you gotta still have reservations about his health with that major hip injury that took him away from the game for almost a year (not to mention that hand that got destroyed when he was younger). Could turn out to be Stevie Y's biggest mistake so far when you consider that very proven, harder working, healthier players like Skinner and Fowler were on the board.

I'd still take Brett ConnOlly over QuintOn Howden though (seriously, Es are not Os), more skilled/higher upside IMO.

7. CAPiTA

CAPiTA Registered User

You have to wonder what things might have been like if the Lightning took Skinner. Would he have made the bolts? Could you imagine a Skinner-Stamkos-St. Louis line? Oh my jeebus....

8. or even fowler, I question that move since tampa needs a puckmover and along with hedman will form a top pairing for the next decade.

and you throw in stamkos, st. louis, lecavalier, etc. wow

9. Toydarian

Toydarian Registered User

I won't go as far as saying Howden is better than Connolly (or vice versa), as I haven't really seen either enough to comment. However, I didn't/don't quite understand why TBL picked a forward at #6; At the draft I thought they would be jumping for joy at an opportunity to get one of Fowler or Gormley, guess not.

10. LuckyLuke87

LuckyLuke87 Registered User

Exactly :nod:

11. The nice thing about Howden is even if he doesnt produce offensively in the NHL, you know he'll be a really good grinder and effective at the NHL level in one way or another. I'm not sure that Connolly if he isnt producing offensively, that he'd be a good forward in the NHL.

It was interesting too because leading up to the draft, some people had the Panthers selecting Connolly at #3 since they needed scoring so badly. But it looks like they got their scoring later in the 1st round between the Bjugstad and Howden picks.

12. Matheson4Prez

Matheson4Prez Yu - Behr - Doe

Due to his style of play(size, speed), he could probably step into the NHL next year.. Talking of Howden

13. sbtatter

sbtatter Registered User

Howden for me. he has size, speed and work ethic advantages. Also, he'll be able to grind a 3rd line role if need be, whereas Connolly doesn't have that same skill set to play 3rd line effectivelly. And so far, Howden has had less injury issues, but i guess that coulod change. Howden is so fast for a big guy, you have to see the speed in person to believe it.

14. leoleo3535

leoleo3535 Registered User

BC is out with a knee injury for upto 6 weeks.

15. IceManCat

IceManCat #CatsAreComing

Does Howden remind anyone of RJ Umberger?

16. Hale The Villain

Hale The Villain Registered User

Connelly

The guy had a bad WJC so what. He's obviously the better prospect.

17. Holy Jokinen

Holy Jokinen Registered User

That could be debated. I think BC has a higher upside, but it seems Howden has a much higher chance of reaching or exceeding his perceived upside.

18. Doctor Drej

Doctor Drej Unregistered User

Hedman is the puck mover.

19. Minister of Offence

Minister of Offence Registered User

Home Page:
    I'll go with Connolly.

Even if Connolly doesn't completely pan out...he's going to be a top 6 forward. I think Howden's a 3rd liner but to his credit could probably be on a 4th line right now as he's a fast big body.

I do think the Panthers are going to like the guy they get in Howden though...I think he was a really safe pick.

20. puckfan13

puckfan13 Registered User

Nice comp. I like it a lot.

21. MSL26

MSL26 Future Hall-of-Famer

7 months after hes drafted and people are already writing off Brett Connolly.

See how things are going in Howden and Connolly's careers, say, 4 years from now. I believe everyone look back at this thread(as you could with so many countless others on a hockey message board) and laugh. Look back from even farther down the road, say, 6, 8, 12 years down the road...I doubt there will be a single debate as to who is better, or more valuable, as a hockey player. Howden to me will become at best like the poster above me said, an RJ Umberger type, more likely a Tomas Kopecky.

Where as Connolly has the potential to be an all-star winger who could put up 30+ goals every season. One of these kind of players are a dime a dozen, the other isn't.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  22. Brandinho

Brandinho deng xiaoping gang

Howden isn't even close to being as skilled as Connolly. At this point, you have to go with the guy who has much higher upside. If Connolly stagnates for another year, then you might opt for Howden.

23. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 Moderator

That's quite the ironic post. You tell others to not write-off Connolly, but at the same time write-off Howden.

Howden has the size/speed/skill to be a solid top6 winger. He's still developing offensively, there's no guarantee where his offensive ceiling lands.

24. umwoz

umwoz Registered User

Connolly clearly has the higher offensive upside. Howden seems like he will be a very good 3rd liner in the future, think Kesler without the same offensive prowess. Yes, even similar skating speed to Kesler, it truly is remarkable.

He may top out as a 2nd liner, but I don't think he has a shot suited for the top line.

25. Maple Leafs Fan 2011

Maple Leafs Fan 2011 Registered User

I would take Howden. He might not have same potental as brett but Howden's all around better than connely's. Connely has dissapointed me so far. Plus i like Howden's name better.