Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Peng summarizes six other candidates suggested by others.

So that's 16 candidates. Perhaps GMMG's list is shorter or longer.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

Peng summarizes six other candidates suggested by others.

So that's 16 candidates. Perhaps GMMG's list is shorter or longer.

I imagine Grier has a very short list as I don't think he makes the move to fire Quinn unless he had a couple of specific people in mind.

Reactions: Cas

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

Friedman (about 30 minutes in) does not think Berube is for Sharks. But Sturm, Woodcraft, Leach (interviewed when Quinn was hired), Halperin (Grier connections).

Last edited:
Reactions: TealManV

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sturm is still in playoffs (2nd round of AHL playoffs series starts 5/1). Woodcroft is unemployed. Leach's season is done (NHL Seattle). Halperin is still in playoffs (NHL Tampa Bay).

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California

Friedman (about 30 minutes in) does not think Berube is for Sharks. But Sturm, Woodcraft, Leach (interviewed when Quinn was hired), Halpern (Grier connections).

I’m very interested in Sturm and Halpern. Leach is interesting if/when the Sharks win the lotto.

Woodcroft is a bit of a stretch imo. Wouldn’t hate it if he’s an assistant coach.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
There is only one name I want: Gerard Gallant. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how he is unemployed. 2x jack adams winner. Took expansion team to dominance right off the bat. Picked up a garbage NYR team (from quinn) and transformed them overnight.

He is amazing.

P.S: David Carle is my second choice. 2x national champ in 3 years, and silencing Smith and BU? wow. Can coach scoring and Defense. Brother of Matt Carle so the sharks connection is there.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
There is only one name I want: Gerard Gallant. I cannot, for the life of me, understand how he is unemployed. 2x jack adams winner. Took expansion team to dominance right off the bat. Picked up a garbage NYR team (from quinn) and transformed them overnight.

He is amazing.

P.S: David Carle is my second choice. 2x national champ in 3 years, and silencing Smith and BU? wow. Can coach scoring and Defense. Brother of Matt Carle so the sharks connection is there.
That Rangers team wasn't garbage, though. At least not the group Gallant coached. (Quinn's group wasn't fully formed in the same way but definitely underachieved some of his time there.)

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I'm amazed at all y'all with good/strong opinions on this. Coaches are such a black box to me. You can see the system on the ice, kinda, and you see the media availability, and if you're Torts then you see everything you see with him, but otherwise, what the hell do we know about the 90% that happens behind closed doors? I'll just have to trust the posters who seem to know. Not sure it matters a ton for next year, but we'll see what happens.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I'm amazed at all y'all with good/strong opinions on this. Coaches are such a black box to me. You can see the system on the ice, kinda, and you see the media availability, and if you're Torts then you see everything you see with him, but otherwise, what the hell do we know about the 90% that happens behind closed doors? I'll just have to trust the posters who seem to know. Not sure it matters a ton for next year, but we'll see what happens.

I guess you trust results. Carle fascinates me because shutting down Smith and co. takes a lot of buy in and strategizing from the coaches.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
I guess you trust results. Carle fascinates me because shutting down Smith and co. takes a lot of buy in and strategizing from the coaches.
Carle is more cut and dry. He's obviously able to install a system that college players can execute well at the highest level at NCAA, he can recruit, players seem to like him, and he's well respected. No pro experience though. It's a lot of these other names that I just have no clue about.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
Carle's pretty young too. Not saying it'll be an issue in this case but sometimes older guys won't respect a younger boss especially when he doesn't have pro creds

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
Wow, I have so many questions. We all know Quinn would be gone, just not right at this time. Is there a HC candidate available out there that we can't miss? Anyone in the know when it comes to top Head Coach candidates know if there's someone like that available?

That brings me to my next question. The next step for this team is developing young players not necessarily playoffs success. HC that know how to win cups/championships don't necessarily know what to do with young prospects (i.e.: Steve Kerr). What HC candidate would be best developing our Celebrini (hopefully), Smith, Eklund, Musty, Muk, Hagens (hopefully), Zetterlund? I though getting 24 goals out of Zetterlund and 16 goals for Eklund was not bad.

If Grier tries to make a push to contend for the cup next year and hires a HC that only knows how to utilize veterans, that's like coming out of your pit stop with only 2 wheels replaced. Our prospects pool isn't anywhere near where we need to be to be serious cup contenders and if our draft picks are in the teens then we aren't restocking our pool with real talents.

Maybe Couture will be the new HC.

Reactions: Sandisfan

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Halperin's season ended tonight. Interesting to see if anything comes up in the press about possibly interviewing for Sharks' HC position.

Reactions: TealManV

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
…If Grier tries to make a push to contend for the cup next year and hires a HC that only knows how to utilize veterans, that's like coming out of your pit stop with only 2 wheels replaced. Our prospects pool isn't anywhere near where we need to be to be serious cup contenders and if our draft picks are in the teens then we aren't restocking our pool with real talents…

Easy there, chief. This team is light years from contending for more than a ham sandwich. I’m guessing Grier’s short term goals are to:

#1 with a bullet: put a team, staff, and system together that doesn’t perpetually hem the Sharks in their own zone for three quarters of a game, night in, night out. Get the young players a little ice so they can develop an offensive game to go along with the “hang on for dear life in your own zone for a two minute shift” game they developed this last season.

#2: Finish next season with a bit more distance from the top 10 all-time worst seasons

#3: Put something in front of the fans that isn’t so obviously unwatchable; like, someone says playoffs out loud and there is more than 3 seconds before the press conference erupts in laughter.

Last edited:

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Someone who interests me (partly because he was a favorite of mine when he played, and now he always looks very nattily-attired and professorial on the bench) is Rangers assistant coach Michael Peca.

It sounds like there have been positives out of New York on his work on faceoffs and the power play, but it's his first year as an NHL assistant (prior to this he was an assistant with AHL Rochester and before that coached juniors) so this is probably too early for him for this job.

Initially I thought he and Grier must have played together at some point since there's so much overlap in the teams they played for (Buffalo and Edmonton), but unless I'm missing something, they never actually were together.

Shark in Hockeytown

Jul 18, 2021

He is amazing.

Why? Yes, his teams post good records, but doesn't concern you that every team he has coached has fired him quickly once he has a short period of less than great results? I would think a coach with his record of winning teams would earn some slack, but every team he has coached--Florida, Vegas, Rangers--has fired him after a short spell of average results.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Easy there, chief. This team is light years from contending for more than a ham sandwich. I’m guessing Grier’s short term goals are to:

#1 with a bullet: put a team, staff, and system together that doesn’t perpetually hem the Sharks in their own zone for three quarters of a game, night in, night out. Get the young players a little ice so they can develop an offensive game to go along with the “hang on for dear life in your own zone for a two minute shift” game they developed this last season.

#2: Finish next season with a bit more distance from the top 10 all-time worst seasons

#3: Put something in front of the fans that isn’t so obviously unwatchable; like, someone says playoffs out loud and there is more than 3 seconds before the press conference erupts in laughter.
Those short term goals are going to be predicated on whether or not he believes there's enough talent going through the system to compete for a playoff spot in a given amount of time. The only real way this team is going to not get hemmed into their own zone 60-70% of the time is by acquiring puck-moving defensemen. At least two to compliment what they get out of Thrun and potentially Mukhamadullin. Doing so could be a significant boost to their competitiveness which is not exactly ideal given their talent in the system. The last thing this team needs to do is reenter the purgatory that is drafting around 7-16 and being outside the playoff picture but with small odds of getting an impact player at their draft position. I don't think Celebrini, Smith, Eklund, and even if we included guys like Muk, Musty, and Bystedt we're really set up to compete. Smith could be a very solid top line or 2C type but you need at least two gamebreaker type talents to compete on a nightly basis. Even if we get Celebrini, we're still missing that and doing that much better next year is going to probably take them out of the running for someone similar.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Probably won’t hire a coach until after May 7th, I don’t think any quality coach wants to come into this situation as it sits right now

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Why? Yes, his teams post good records, but doesn't concern you that every team he has coached has fired him quickly once he has a short period of less than great results? I would think a coach with his record of winning teams would earn some slack, but every team he has coached--Florida, Vegas, Rangers--has fired him after a short spell of average results.
yes, I noticed that too, and perhaps there is a red flag there. To be honest, a jack adams winner (3x finalist in just 6 real seasons excluding fired years and CBJ) with such an amazing winning record (313-186-64 when excluding the early CBJ years) should never be available so easily. You might be right that someone is up. Still, (ecl CBJ), in his full coaching seasons, he is batting .500 as a Jack adams finalist! Thats crazy!

OR...

Those teams are stupid! FLA fired gallant and proceeded to miss the playoffs in three straight seasons. VGK was an expansion team that rocked it off the start. They actually miss the PO's for their only time the year after Gallant was fired (though won the cup the year after that). NYR was not very good prior to his arrival but is now crushing it.

Im not saying Gallant is the reason for all those facts, but his record transforming teams, particularly presently unsuccessful or unproven teams is pretty amazing.
1. FLA: missed the PO's in the previous two seasons including a 29-45-8 record for 66 pts in the year before gallant. He comes, they improve from 66 to 91 points, narrowly missing POs. Then improve to 103 pts and make the POs. he then gets fired 22 games in at 11-10-1, and they proceed to miss the PO's the next three years.
2. VGK was expansion: they were supposed to stink. he came, they crushed it and made Wild bill, shea theodore and others into stars.
3. NYR had missed the PO's 3 of the 4 seasons before gallant's arrival (partly with David Quinn of course) and were 27-23-6 (88 pt full season pace). He came, they then crushed it improving to 110 pts.

In ohers words, in his first year, FLA improved 25 points and NYR improved 22 pts (equivalent) and vegas hit the ground running from expansion. His record is amazing. I dont know why he seems to only last 2-3 years each time, but he takes soso/bad and makes them very good very fast. Ill take my chances!

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
yes, I noticed that too, and perhaps there is a red flag there. To be honest, a jack adams winner (3x finalist in just 6 real seasons excluding fired years and CBJ) with such an amazing winning record (313-186-64 when excluding the early CBJ years) should never be available so easily. You might be right that someone is up. Still, (ecl CBJ), in his full coaching seasons, he is batting .500 as a Jack adams finalist! Thats crazy!

OR...

Those teams are stupid! FLA fired gallant and proceeded to miss the playoffs in three straight seasons. VGK was an expansion team that rocked it off the start. They actually miss the PO's for their only time the year after Gallant was fired (though won the cup the year after that). NYR was not very good prior to his arrival but is now crushing it.

Im not saying Gallant is the reason for all those facts, but his record transforming teams, particularly presently unsuccessful or unproven teams is pretty amazing.
1. FLA: missed the PO's in the previous two seasons including a 29-45-8 record for 66 pts in the year before gallant. He comes, they improve from 66 to 91 points, narrowly missing POs. Then improve to 103 pts and make the POs. he then gets fired 22 games in at 11-10-1, and they proceed to miss the PO's the next three years.
2. VGK was expansion: they were supposed to stink. he came, they crushed it and made Wild bill, shea theodore and others into stars.
3. NYR had missed the PO's 3 of the 4 seasons before gallant's arrival (partly with David Quinn of course) and were 27-23-6 (88 pt full season pace). He came, they then crushed it improving to 110 pts.

In ohers words, in his first year, FLA improved 25 points and NYR improved 22 pts (equivalent) and vegas hit the ground running from expansion. His record is amazing. I dont know why he seems to only last 2-3 years each time, but he takes soso/bad and makes them very good very fast. Ill take my chances!

Gallant is someone that I hope we'll hire. He's perfect for a rebuilding team. I think he'll be expensive to hire though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad