Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

sharski

Jun 4, 2012
Drew_Remenda.jpg

#unfinishedbusiness

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Berube makes a lot of sense. Hard ass coach who can get maximum effort from the roster for a few years before he's inevitably replaced by the guy who's actually going to be The Guy for us.
Was thinking the same thing. But then again, with the bulk of our "best prospects" still yet to play NHL games, a guy like Quinn would probably be best for the next 2ish years before a Berube/Tortorella type would be most effective.

That's why i'm kinda leaning towards a coach with more recent experience with a young roster.

Reactions: landshark

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I'd have kept him for another year, but you can't just show up with the same roster (less Hertl, and with Couture a major ?) and coach on what was a horrifying team.

That said, I think I'd have preferred to see some additions around the edges, and run it back for another tank commander. Grier's number one priority is Grier (which in business, I don't have a problem with). He clearly thinks he needs a pelt, so Quinn is the guy. It's not like he can trade the captain either.

Add Celebrini (god willing!) and Muk, sign a top 4 d-man and a top 6 vet in free agency, and maybe trade for a cap dump that's decent but overpaid. Get another top pick. Then fire/let Quinn walk. Next year, add Musty, Smith, and perhaps next years 1st. Trade Ferraro and Granlund at the deadline, see the end of Vlasic and Borough's contract, and the last year of Couture's. At that point begin using extra picks/prospects as currency to grab a game changer or two to supplement Smith, Celebrini, Eklund, and next years 1st.

We're going to be bad through the remaining 3 years of Logan's contract. Yes, you need some vets to insulate the team, but if we try and built to compete now, we're going to have a bad time.

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007
Fair play to the guy for sticking it out this long. He was on a hiding to nothing with what we had on the ice. He's been compensated well for it, but he was never part of the longer term solution.

This next appointment will be fascinating as we're - in theory - about to put a bunch of these shiny new assets in the NHL. It's not just for more of the same - there has to be a purpose to pulling the trigger now.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Gallant did make Vegas a pretty nasty team to play against. Do people dislike him? I really don’t like his face but I don’t hate what he did with that team, especially at the beginning.
Gallant is an underratedly terrible coach, his teams routinely get caved in on shot attempt differential metrics, the only 2 teams he ever coached with a positive differential were the expansion Knights and that one playoff Panthers team

Friday

Apr 25, 2014
LA
What's the point of having Warsofsky here if they're not going to give him a chance. Low pressure situation as far as results go. Run it

• Love
Reactions: ChompChomp

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
What's the point of having Warsofsky here if they're not going to give him a chance. Low pressure situation as far as results go. Run it

I still think it's his job (almost) no matter what, because you have to think it was a wink-wink promise that he'd take over once Quinn was done, whenever that would be.

For those who think it isn't, they should think about why Warsofsky accepted an NHL AC offer for the Sharks when he was 1.) interviewing for NHL HC jobs and 2.) must have had other NHL AC offers. The Sharks HC and AC jobs in 2022 were the least attractive jobs in the NHL.

The reason was (IMHO), that Grier said, if you come here to be a Sharks AC, I'm making you the unofficial wink-wink promise that once Quinn is gone, whether it be when his contract runs out or earlier, you will be promoted to HC. And at that time, you will be coaching mostly young prospects, not the has-beens and plug-ins.

And no other team could even come close to wink-wink promising an NHL HC job. Really the only way to explain why the "hot name" of the 2022 coach hiring circuit joined the Sharks as an AC.

And on top of that, I honestly believe he's the next Jon Cooper. I very much want him to grow with the kids like Smith, Eklund, Thrun, Muk, Zetterlund, etc and the first and second round picks from 2024. He can and will build something very special here.

Now I'm sure you will have people saying, "well, if it is was promised to Warsofsky, then why didn't they immediately name him HC?" Because you still go through the process. What if something crazy happens like Jon Cooper gets fired after TB is out of the playoffs? That's the guy you do whatever you can to get him to come over, promises to Warsofsky be damned. The Sharks are a franchise that, during its history, twice, Barry Freaking Trotz was available and the Sharks didn't have the hutzpah to make a full court press for him and be opening to canning whoever the HC was at the time (2014, when TMac should have been sacked after the series we don't speak about, and 2018 after the PDB Sharks looked hapless against VGK in round 2).

Last edited:

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Carle already committed to coaching the 2025 US WJC team. He’ll be a great coach and I would love to have him, but that’s why I thought we’d want to hang on to Quinn for one more year, then try and entice Carle over.

I was wondering about that honestly. Is there any precedent for a WJC coach “stepping aside” for an NHL opportunity? I would assume there is some kind of out clause in the contract. I have no idea how that works though.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I could see Warsofsky still getting the job even if Grier is allowing him to interview with other organizations

It can be damaging to a young coach's resume to be attached to a team like this, he was an assistant coach for the worst team in the salary cap era, that's on his record forever

He's seen this team up close, it's up to him to decide if he thinks it's good for his career to take on this challenge, because we're still going to be really bad next year, just hopefully not quite so historically bad, and if he has a chance to be an assistant in a more stable environment maybe he sees it as a better stepping stone to a HC job on a more competitive team in the near future rather that strapping himself to what may just be a ticking time bomb leading to him being out of the league in 2 years

On the other hand, maybe Grier doesn't want to give such a difficult challenge to someone who's never been a head coach in the NHL before, that may disqualify Warsofsky in his eyes

Reactions: Sandisfan

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
He's seen this team up close, it's up to him to decide if he thinks it's good for his career to take on this challenge, because we're still going to be really bad next year, just hopefully not quite so historically bad, and if he has a chance to be an assistant in a more stable environment maybe he sees it as a better stepping stone to a HC job on a more competitive team in the near future rather that strapping himself to what may just be a ticking time bomb leading to him being out of the league in 2 years

Warsofsky knew the team would be tanking in 22-23 and 23-24, so this shouldn't be a surprise. He had to know that being a Sharks AC for this tankjob team wasn't going to lead any NHL jobs elsewhere.

As to Warsofsky's career, yes it is taking a chance, but I think given the team's rebuild and their prospect pool, there is a good chance from 24-25, 25-26, and 26-27 could see year over year point improvements in the final standings, even if the team isn't a playoff team in those years (i.e., 50-60 point team, then 60-70, then 70-80). If Warsofsky is the HC for those seasons and there is a year over year improvement, he'll be set, either as a long term Sharks HC or getting jobs elsewhere.

Last edited:

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
It's not happening bro. He's literally giving Warsofsky a chance to seek other employment...

I don't think that necessarily rules out giving Warsofsky an opportunity to interview or get the job. He can easily tell Warsofsky "Hey I'm looking at you as a serious candidate for this role if you're interested, but we may go another direction so you can also explore other opportunities". I don't think that is smart way to go about it if Warsofsky is your main target, but he doesn't have to be to still get the job.

With that said, Grier is also pretty candid compared to Wilson so maybe that does mean he isn't even being considered. I just don't think you can simply close the door on Warsofsky getting the job because of this comment.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I don't think that necessarily rules out giving Warsofsky an opportunity to interview or get the job. He can easily tell Warsofsky "Hey I'm looking at you as a serious candidate for this role if you're interested, but we may go another direction so you can also explore other opportunities". I don't think that is smart way to go about it if Warsofsky is your main target, but he doesn't have to be to still get the job.

With that said, Grier is also pretty candid compared to Wilson so maybe that does mean he isn't even being considered. I just don't think you can simply close the door on Warsofsky getting the job because of this comment.
Maybe not close the door, but it does make it extremely unlikely.

Reactions: SjMilhouse

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Maybe not close the door, but it does make it extremely unlikely.
Warsofsky might not even be good, who knows. I don't think it's really worth stressing over the coach because none of it really matters given we still have a few more years of being utter shit. So long as it's someone who doesn't ruin the culture/development, I don't really care who they hire

Only thing I'd add is if it's an external hire, we will never know why it wasn't Warsofsky and it's probably not worth getting upset about because it could simply be that Warsofsky wasn't interested in the job

Reactions: Sandisfan and Hodge

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Warsofsky might not even be good, who knows.

Good point, and you know who else might not even be a good NHL HC? David Carle.

I remember the last time a highly touted NCAA coach made the jump from NCAA directly to NHL HC. His name is David too. David Quinn...

So long as it's someone who doesn't ruin the culture/development

And I think this is the reason Quinn was fired instead of getting to finish out his contract. They want the culture to change.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
And I think this is the reason Quinn was fired instead of getting to finish out his contract. They want the culture to change.
Which is exactly why it makes no sense to promote a guy who was part of the shitty culture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad