Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
While I'm 1000% convinced the next HC will be (And should be) Ryan Warsofsky, there was a lost opportunity with Lindy Ruff. Ruff has been a great rebuilding team coach (and then when the team becomes a contender, he sucks and you move on from him). Would have been nice to have Lindy Ruff with the rebuilding squad.

Reactions: themelkman

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I really hope Grier has a coach in mind that he really wants to grow with the team moving forward, and that this is not a sign that he’s going to go get some veteran coach and try to actually compete starting next year.

We need like one more year of semi tanking to really stock our prospect pool (mainly defensively if we get Celebrini) before trying to entertain the idea that we are ready to move to the being competitive phase of the rebuild.

rekrul

Mar 7, 2003
bittersville,ca
Visit site
Likable for sure, great job getting Graf to come here. But clearly 0-10 start, most 5+ goal losses in the league and general malise throughout the season showed they needed a change. Lot of talk about winning culture, Grier fired his friend to find a better direction.

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

Well yeah, since you wink-wink promised Warsofsky the HC job to get him to take the AC job two years ago, you don't need a timeline to "make a decision." Just have to make it look like a process where they interview the likes of Gallant, Vigneault, Babcock, Berube, Grier's old coach Ron Wilson, Todd Nelson, maybe 1 or 2 juniors coaches and David Carle, and then ultimately promote Warsofsky and beg Carle to take a Sharks AC job, which he will politely decline.

Last edited:
Reactions: themelkman

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Well yeah, since you wink-wink promised Warsofsky the HC job to get him to take the AC job two years ago, you don't need a timeline to "make a decision." Just have to make it look like a process where they interview the likes of Gallant, Vigneault, Babcock, Grier's old coach Ron Wilson, Todd Nelson, maybe 1 or 2 juniors coaches and David Carle, and then ultimately promote Warsofsky.
It's not happening bro. He's literally giving Warsofsky a chance to seek other employment...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
When you are in last place of the NHL, you have to fire someone. GM is not going to fire himself. Grier should be fired after the Hertl trade.

Last edited:

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I found it interesting towards the end of the year when Grier essentially said they didn’t intend to be this bad. I wonder if he was publicly saying that after having some pressure applied from Hasso (who was reluctant to tearing things down prior to hiring Grier). Because anyone who looked at this roster knew it wasn’t going to be pretty.

Like others have said, I would have thought McCarthy would have been gone before Quinn.
Think that is more due to the fact that they didn't expect to be without Couture all year along with missing Hertl the majority of the year along with injuries on defense too. They didn't expect to be good, but being historically bad is a different story.

It's not happening bro. He's literally giving Warsofsky a chance to seek other employment...

It may or may not be happening, but this isn't the gotcha that you think it is. If Warsofsky is the candidate many seem to believe, he'd be foolish to limit himself to just the Sharks job. Realistic path that he can interview around and the Sharks interview around and both sides make their way back together.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It may or may not be happening, but this isn't the gotcha that you think it is. If Warsofsky is the candidate many seem to believe, he'd be foolish to limit himself to just the Sharks job. Realistic path that he can interview around and the Sharks interview around and both sides make their way back together.
I'm sure other teams are lining up around the block to interview the associate coach from one of the worst teams in NHL history for their head coaching position.

• Haha
Reactions: CaptainShark

Solmors

<3 Data
May 3, 2010
San Jose
I've never shared this before on this forum, because I've yapped about things that I've heard on the inside. I've never shared his name or said who he was, so I wouldn't reveal a name or even what the person did in the organization, I guess I can now. I never said anything that would get him in trouble after the fact.

Ray Tufts is a family friend. We go back a long ways. He's a bit older than I am.

He's arguably the best in the business and that's not even my opinion. He's highly regarded around the league. He was with the 49ers for years before he came to the Sharks.
I understand about not wanting to share before. I've tried to comment less on here than I did before so I don't accidently share too much.

I will say this though, Ray is well respected from within the AT community from what I have heard. He can be a little more old school than some, with a "just play through it" mentality whereas others might be more cautious, I remember seeing the injury reports after playoffs were over and being amazed some of them were still on the ice.

He has so much experience I am really curious to see what he does next. I'd love to see him move into a teaching role of some sort so he can share his knowledge gained over his long career.

I'll also drop this here. I know of one more person in the org who was informed they wouldn't be coming back next season that hasn't been announced yet. 🤫

ChompChomp

Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX

I see this differently. Back in 2022, Ryan Warsofsky was the "hot name" for an NHL HC position. He had multiple NHL HC interviews, but ultimately took an offer to be the Sharks AC. Knowing the Sharks were going to be a bad team, and both HC and AC jobs in 2022 for the Sharks were probably the least attractive jobs in the NHL, he took the Sharks AC job. (I'd like to think he had other NHL AC offers).

Why? Why take that? The only thing that makes sense is that Grier promised him, unofficially, that once Quinn was gone, whether it be his contract expiring or firing, that Warsofsky would be HC. And that he'd be the HC of a young, up and coming team that whose roster would mostly be the young prospects, as opposed to the has beens and plug-ins we saw from 2022-2024. And I believe that is what sold Warsofsky on becoming Sharks AC at the time.

Reactions: Sandisfan

pappaf2

Feb 24, 2009
Bay Area, CA
I understand about not wanting to share before. I've tried to comment less on here than I did before so I don't accidently share too much.

I will say this though, Ray is well respected from within the AT community from what I have heard. He can be a little more old school than some, with a "just play through it" mentality whereas others might be more cautious, I remember seeing the injury reports after playoffs were over and being amazed some of them were still on the ice.

He has so much experience I am really curious to see what he does next. I'd love to see him move into a teaching role of some sort so he can share his knowledge gained over his long career.

I'll also drop this here. I know of one more person in the org who was informed they wouldn't be coming back next season that hasn't been announced yet. 🤫
To be continued???

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
Solmors said:

Hedican?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad