Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I'd like to see what he can do, but since we haven't seen Grier hire anyone other than Quinn at HC so far it's hard to know what he values

Whether he wants a veteran to set the tone for the culture or if he wants a younger promising mind, I guess we're about to find out
They interviewed Warsofsky and got him to come as an assistant. Feel like part of that was to come learn the NHL under a guy that I like the personality of and then we will turn it over to you once we've torn it all the way down. Could be wrong, but wouldn't be the first time we've seen a coach hired internally (and the usual cast of characters like Gallant, Boudreau, etc. are not going to waste their final gig in the NHL on a rebuilding group).

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Thank you for your time and effort, David. Those in the know, knew this was not going to last but you did what you could. Trying to be above it all after horrible games is not easy. You did an admirable job. Best of luck.

Reactions: Grinner

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
They interviewed Warsofsky and got him to come as an assistant. Feel like part of that was to come learn the NHL under a guy that I like the personality of and then we will turn it over to you once we've torn it all the way down. Could be wrong, but wouldn't be the first time we've seen a coach hired internally (and the usual cast of characters like Gallant, Boudreau, etc. are not going to waste their final gig in the NHL on a rebuilding group).
It could be that Warsofsky is on the HC radar again and Grier doesn't want to lose him.

Jul 10, 2010
come on down david carle. likely GMMG heard rumblings he was gonna get a job somewhere and didnt wanna lose out by waiting another year to dump DQ

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

AP story. Some stats, but nothing new.

Updates expected to Mercury News story.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
The only thing that's tough is it does seem like everyone really likes Quinn as a guy, so it's unfortunate it didn't work out

But he has absolutely no track record of success at this level, the 2021 Rangers weren't as fully stocked as they are today but they still had Panarin, Fox, Shesterkin, Trouba, Zibanejad, and Kreider and paced for 39 wins in a full season, he just isn't a good NHL head coach

Maybe he'd be a good AC as the "good cop" to a hard-ass HC, but he can't be in charge of the team if you want to win

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
My money is on Gallant, who is an underratedly bad coach in his own right, but from a culture perspective it could certainly be worse

That would complete the flip of HCs between the Sharks and Las Vegas.

I think Grier should do better at finding HCs than DW. I don't think there were many HC willing to work for DW towards the end of his tenure at the Sharks.

Skeksis25

Feb 17, 2023
Guess they are serious about wanting the turnaround to start next season. I don't know how realistic that is, but wouldn't make sense to move on from Quinn already unless they plan to have the guy in place they expect to lead the team into playoff contention again.

Or, maybe they think Warsofsky is going to get poached and are planning to promote him instead.

Reactions: stator

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
This is both very very surprising and not surprising at all at the same time.

Quinn was a fine coach. Not good, not bad. Just fine. Obviously with those results it’s hard to bring him back but it’s also clearly not all on Quinn. I think this is one of those that it’s hard to know whether this is good or bad without a replacement in place.

ChompChomp

Can't wait for Sharks hockey to return someday
Jan 8, 2007
El Paso, TX
Really thought with the tank job Quinn was going to get to coach out his contract and then Warsofsky take over.

But I guess Warsofsky will take over now. I'll die on the hill he was hired to be Quinn's replacement whenever Quinn was gone. IMHO, I think Warsofsky has great potential to be the next "Jon Cooper" type.

SJsharks

Apr 17, 2007
Dont worry about it
I found it interesting towards the end of the year when Grier essentially said they didn’t intend to be this bad. I wonder if he was publicly saying that after having some pressure applied from Hasso (who was reluctant to tearing things down prior to hiring Grier). Because anyone who looked at this roster knew it wasn’t going to be pretty.

Like others have said, I would have thought McCarthy would have been gone before Quinn.

Reactions: landshark

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Really thought with the tank job Quinn was going to get to coach out his contract and then Warsofsky take over.

But I guess Warsofsky will take over now. I'll die on the hill he was hired to be Quinn's replacement whenever Quinn was gone. IMHO, I think Warsofsky has great potential to be the next "Jon Cooper" type.
RIP because it doesn't sound like that's happening

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
  • Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan

Bowie22

blow it up
Jul 20, 2012
Santa Clara, CA
inba Tortorella