Confirmed with Link: Quinn out as HC, Ray Tufts not returning to team

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
That happened quickly. It was brought up on Monday's 32 Thoughts and I didn't think there was any possibility of letting Quinn go. It almost seemed like that Podcast willed it to happen. Of course i really haven't followed Sharks news since the end of the season so maybe everyone knew it was coming.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Very surprising on the timing of this. I'd have thought after next year would have made more sense. I wonder how much of this is the front office/ownership trying to prove to fans that they really do care about all the losing and really do intend to do better next year (in other words, don't let your season ticket package expire!).

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Very surprising on the timing of this. I'd have thought after next year would have made more sense. I wonder how much of this is the front office/ownership trying to prove to fans that they really do care about all the losing and really do intend to do better next year (in other words, don't let your season ticket package expire!).
Came from my dad so could very likely be fake news (I never know if he's serious or trolling), but he was telling me earlier this week he has a buddy who was also an original season ticket holder that apparently got a call from Quinn trying to sell him on renewing.

Reactions: Sandisfan

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Gary B must have given Grier the lotto results early...

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
Not that I expected him to last but right now seems like kind of an odd time. Even if he was the best to ever coach what did people expect him to do with the team he's had the last couple of seasons?

Another piece of the puzzle that GMMG has to resolve going forward. He's got a big hill to climb now!

Reactions: Sandisfan

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Quinn was a clear upgrade over Boughner, but he didn't really bring anything new or fresh to the table, that and he got tactically spanked by pretty much every other HC in the NHL.

Reactions: karltonian

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Coaches have become like prominent UFA players where teams feel compelled to either extend them or cut ties prior to the final year on their contract. It makes sense as you don't really want a "lame duck" coach trying to get his players to buy in.

I thought Quinn did a much better job than he was given credit for but there must have been something said in player exit meetings that convinced Grier he wasn't the right person for the job. Full credit to Grier for making the tough decision to can a close personal friend. No one can accuse him of having too much sentimentality.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
@tahoesharksfan WRT timing... this gives team and candidates most time to be considered. There are a few guys out already, including those who were ousted in the last year. More may be let go as playoffs advance.

DUs David Carle is one of the most highly touted coaches not in the NHL. It may be that the Sharks have an inside track with hiring him.

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake
@tahoesharksfan WRT timing... this gives team and candidates most time to be considered.

I’m genuinely shocked. I thought Quinn would get his last year.

Yeah, I was more thinking maybe he'd gone one more year to babysit as well. It's not like anybody's going to turn this roster around too far next year. Then again, maybe whoever is brought in next will surprise us all....:crossfing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad