Quinn hughes sophomore slump or nah?

Quinn hughes will he be top 5 in d men scoring

• Total voters

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
So I guess the answer was yes to both? He’s definitely going to have career-low defensive numbers this season. Offense is going great though.

For a player that young, his offensive contributions far outweigh defensive deficiencies. It's up to the Canucks to build a better defense around him.

If he had a huge caphit you could harp on him for defense but ppg offense from a guy on his ELC? Absolute steal.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
For a player that young, his offensive contributions far outweigh defensive deficiencies. It's up to the Canucks to build a better defense around him.

If he had a huge caphit you could harp on him for defense but ppg offense from a guy on his ELC? Absolute steal.

He's also been playing much better recently and looking more like his rookie year level of defense, which isn't great or anything, but not near the terrible defense he was playing earlier in the year. I think something was affecting his skating because he wasn't able to pull away from forecheckers with ease like he was last season and it was leading to a lot of mistakes. He's been able to gain that separation again the last 4-5 games.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It’s not something I’d lose sleep over if I was a nucks fan. Just think it’s interesting the offense picked right up where it left off while the defense has been a real struggle. If anything, I would’ve thought the opposite.

Last edited:

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'm so sick of the whole Makar vs Hughes conversation.
Everybody gets so swept away with the Calder that it gets to the point where teams have a vested interest to shit on another teams rookies/young players.

It's neat that Pettersson won and Boeser/Hughes almost won but that award doesn't have that much weight to me.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Let's be honest, Hughes isn't a defensive stalwart and I'm sure that part of his game will develop.

But in the system he's in now, he's going to look worse than he does defensively. Green's been horrible at limiting scoring chances against. The Canucks since 2018-19 have been 2nd last in SCF% and 2nd last in SCA/60. This is going to make Hughes seem worse than he actually is defensively.

Canucks also lost Tanev who is their go-to defensive defenseman because Benning decided he's going to sign bottom 6ers to nice fat contracts instead. None of this has done Hughes any favors. Even despite all that, he's still producing great offensive numbers. I'm rather confident that under a better coach, Hughes will flourish and develop more of the defensive aspect of the game.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Think he pulled/strained something early in the year, after the first couple games he was slowww. Getting back to form now, winning all the races.

Huggy just gettin warmed up.

Rhaegar Targaryen

Jun 25, 2016
I'm so sick of the whole Makar vs Hughes conversation.
Everybody gets so swept away with the Calder that it gets to the point where teams have a vested interest to shit on another teams rookies/young players.

It's neat that Pettersson won and Boeser/Hughes almost won but that award doesn't have that much weight to me.

The Calder is a pretty useless award, tbh.

Reactions: WTG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad