Quinn Hughes' Season (So Far) in 10 Minutes - I present all of his goals, assists, & 89 total plays.

Guardian452

Jun 10, 2011
His skating and in particular edging is elite level, his vision and how fast he processes the game is also very very world class. He added a slapshot this summer. Zone exit wizard. Gets sometimes, not often, beat in board battles and down low coverage is probably my only knock on him.

Quinn and his brothers learned to skate from their mother, who was an elite hockey player in her day. Hockey players and organizations should be lining up at her door to hire her as a skills coach.

Reactions: SurferBroChad

nucksflailtogether

Oct 15, 2017
It's weird thinking back to that draft. Hughes' knocks were ,"too cocky", "soft shot" and "defensive deficiencies". Perhaps they were true at the time. That to me is why scouting is so much more than what we see. This kid was clearly the most driven and the most raw talented. He easily goes top 3 in a redraft. Dont want to say top 2 yet, hope Dahlin doesn't waste away over there.

Apr 4, 2015
Minneapolis
I really want to dislike this guy cause he went to the wrong U of M (Go Gophers!). I just can’t get myself to hate him though, he’s so good.

He is American after all :laugh:

Reactions: DFAC

pomx

May 15, 2014
Thank you, can’t believe Canucks have a player like him. Good things don’t happen to us.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014

Quinn Hughes has been a revelation — a truly transformative on-ice presence whose rare skill set deserves the full attention of the hockey world. One might fairly argue that, aside from avid followers of the Vancouver Canucks, few could accurately express just how masterful the first-year NHL defenceman has been for his team. Canucks fans, some skeptical before his arrival in Vancouver, have been left speechless and astonished as the young phenom has completely rewritten their team’s playbook and contributed to the restoration of reasonable belief in the team’s playoff potential. A team of stagnant players has suddenly become one of the fastest squads in the league, all thanks to the puck movement of their new superstar defenceman — a master of motion.

From his own goal line, Hughes routinely moves the puck up the ice with precision for the Canucks, either slicing through the opposition’s defensive structure with patience and deception, or firing a crisp stretch pass across two lines to a high-speed target. In the offensive zone, the team now runs its plays through him, no longer working from the half-wall as it once did; when loose pucks manifest in open areas of the ice, his extra gear activates, at which point one can often expect him to aggressively pirouette, dodge and weave between obstacles to ensure that the Canucks continue to attack the opposing net.

He has, with each stride and every pass, propelled the team forward via a combination of offensive intelligence, inimitable agility on his skates, pure puck skill, and a proactive sense of motion, and has provided a degree of puck-moving expertise as well as possession savvy unique among players currently in the league.

The rest of the article is at Nucks Misconduct. Enjoy the presentation! Please follow @CambieKev on Twitter for updates about future content. More is on the way.

The music is 25 years out of date, but I love that almost all the calls are from the opposing broadcast team. It's fun to hear how deflated they are.

NHL1995

Dec 9, 2019
He is American after all :laugh:

He's American but spent a lot of time in Canada as a kid and played in Canadian minor leagues. He also recently admitted that he's a Leafs fan and still follows them.

He is an excellent skater and puck handler, my god.

Reactions: DL44

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Canucks are so lucky to have him! An absolutely fantastic player who is only going to get better.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Great highlight video, but the music was just annoying. I'd rather just listen to the game sounds and commentators.

Hughes has been exactly what the Canucks needed on the blueline. He's a typhical modern defenseman, that has evolved alot from the hacking and hooking pylon they used to be.

Last edited:

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
He plays like I do in video games

my thought exactly, felt like the music only added to the feeling.

Everyone’s said it already, kids amazing. Personal favorite is around 2:12, the one where he pulls it off the boards, skates forwards to the blue line, skates around the puck to get it on his forehand, and wires a slap shot in- all while the opponent just has to keep up with him whilst moving forwards and can’t do it. Saw that one live and just.. jaw drop, probably my favorite goal of the year outside of Sabres. Not goty, but just for the “damn, this guy is good at hockey and this goal represents his skills in a great way” award- ya, this would be it for me.

Last edited:

DiglettDangles

Feb 15, 2020
Montreal
Great video, thanks! Hard to believe it's an extract of his 50 first games :O
Hughes is a such an entertaining player, keeps you on the edge of your seat.
I think hockey fans are lucky he fell to Vancouver because he's a great fit playing with high skilled players in Pettersson & Boeser. Some of those assists are extremely smart but not every receiving player in this league would bury them. Had he been drafted by my Habs or by Detroit/Ottawa, his great vision would be wasted without anyone to finish the plays for his first ~2 years in the show, and people would sadly focus on the turnovers. It's likely he would be smart enough to adapt his play but the result wouldn't be such a treat!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad