Prospect Info: Quinn Hughes, Pt. IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
If we ship out Stecher so that we can sign Tyler ****ing Myers to a bloated contract then Benning is somehow dumber than I thought.

Stecher is better than Myers is right now and I don't think it's close.
I could live with it if we dumped Gudbranson.

Which won't happen.

Black Noise

Flavourtown
Aug 7, 2014
North Vancouver
I could live with it if we dumped Gudbranson.

Which won't happen.
Honestly I still would be mad. Biega has better numbers than Myers.

Biega: 0.87 P/60, 9.36 Rel CF%, -3.66 Rel GF%, 5.21 Rel xGF%,
Stecher: 1.05 P/60, 5.02 Rel CF%, 19.73 Rel GF%, 7.26 Rel xGF%
Likely 2019 Cap Hit: around 3 million

Myers: 0.56 P/60, 0.7 Rel CF%, -9.33 Rel GF%, 2.56 Rel xGF%
Gudbranson: 0.75 P/60, -7.03 Rel CF%, -19.84 Rel GF%, -4.79 Rel xGF%
Likely 2019 Cap Hit: around 10 million

Imagine if we don't resign Biega, trade Stecher, keep Gudbranson and sign Myers. 7+ million more expensive but infinitely worse.

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Honestly I still would be mad. Biega has better numbers than Myers.

Biega: 0.87 P/60, 9.36 Rel CF%, -3.66 Rel GF%, 5.21 Rel xGF%,
Stecher: 1.05 P/60, 5.02 Rel CF%, 19.73 Rel GF%, 7.26 Rel xGF%
Likely 2019 Cap Hit: around 3 million

Myers: 0.56 P/60, 0.7 Rel CF%, -9.33 Rel GF%, 2.56 Rel xGF%
Gudbranson: 0.75 P/60, -7.03 Rel CF%, -19.84 Rel GF%, -4.79 Rel xGF%
Likely 2019 Cap Hit: around 10 million

Imagine if we don't resign Biega, trade Stecher, keep Gudbranson and sign Myers. 7+ million more expensive but infinitely worse.
If you're looking for someone to be on board with, believe me I'm 100% with you. I'd rather have neither.

I'm just willing to take small wins or lateral moves with this management group.

Reactions: Black Noise

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Article: Pronman's 2019 World Junior Championship wrap: Standouts,... Full Quote:

Hughes’ play in the semifinal wasn’t the best, but his play in every other game left little doubt he was one of the best players at the tournament. The point totals didn’t show it, but when he was on the ice, USA had the puck. His feet are elite, as is his offensive creativity. He made so many plays on the breakout, zone entries and inside the offensive zone that there were times he looked a level above the competition. He needs to reign in the urge to make the cute extra play, as he was often the victim of a bad turnover, but his potential is clearly off the charts.

Snatcher Demko

High-End Intangibles
Oct 8, 2006
Watched a few WJC periods and the gold medal game. Some observations about Hughes:

- Don't think he'll be too much of a defensive liability, on the basis that he will help drive possession. That said there will be some ugly turnovers from time to time as he figures out what he can and can't do.
- Needs to mature. Hangs onto the puck too long and tries to force plays. You'd notice his teammates swing into lanes or scoring positions but then swing out because Quinn hasn't decided what to do with the puck yet. He looks out of sync sometimes with his teammates as a result. He does need to simplify his game for the NHL.
- Needs to work on his shot and use it. He doesn't need a great shot but it needs work and has to become part of his arsenal to round out his offensive repertoire.

I think the worries around his game stem from the fact that's he's skated circles around his peers for so long that he's developed some weaker habits that will need to get ironed out. The speed of the NHL will force him to simplify his game.

I see Quinn as being a supreme offensive talent and puck distributor but I think he'll need a few years to develop into his potential, and he will need to put some real work into it. I don't see an easy transition to the NHL but I think he'll still be a legit offensive weapon out of the gate, especially in terms of driving possession.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
He absolutely needs to develop a shot. He has a Tanev-like shot, and for him to be that superstar defenseman, he needs to have that tool in his bag of tricks.

Reactions: Robongo01

HankNDank

Oct 25, 2013
Medicine Hat
He absolutely needs to develop a shot. He has a Tanev-like shot, and for him to be that superstar defenseman, he needs to have that tool in his bag of tricks.
Not true. If he can get his shot on net for a tip or a rebound, that's agueably more effective than a cannon that's inaccurate, a la Phaneuf. Ideally he would have both a cannon and accuracy, but accuracy > velocity.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not true. If he can get his shot on net for a tip or a rebound, that's agueably more effective than a cannon that's inaccurate, a la Phaneuf. Ideally he would have both a cannon and accuracy, but accuracy > velocity.

He doesn’t need a cannon but it would be nice to have him have a respectable enough shot to be able to one time it on the PP and have it go in sometimes. If he can get pucks on net effectively, that’s obviously going to be really effective.

Still would be nice for him to have his shot be a weapon.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site

Who’s shot would you rather your dman have tanev (accurate) or phaneufs? I know for sure an offensive dman need the phaneuf shot more than the tanev shot

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
His shot isnt hard and it also doesnt hit the net lol. Its definitely something to improve on. One think ive noticed about Quinn is that hes so confident in himself. If you asked him today what he thinks of his shot id bet you he says he will say something like " i like my shot, i dont think theres much wrong with it" then follow up with "I think there isnt one point in my game where i need to improve on , i just need to get better all around".

He always says that he really likes his defensive game by saying I wasnt on the ice for a goal against in X games.

Hodgy

Feb 23, 2012
His shot isnt hard and it also doesnt hit the net lol. Its definitely something to improve on. One think ive noticed about Quinn is that hes so confident in himself. If you asked him today what he thinks of his shot id bet you he says he will say something like " i like my shot, i dont think theres much wrong with it" then follow up with "I think there isnt one point in my game where i need to improve on , i just need to get better all around".

He always says that he really likes his defensive game by saying I wasnt on the ice for a goal against in X games.

Ya, the weird thing is, it isn't like his shot is only bad because it isn't hard. It's just looks bad all around. At the WJCs, he had several point blank chances and missed the net on all of the, and by a decent margin. Caveat here is that I am basing the above on his WJC play, perhaps someone that watches him at Michigan could comment as well.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Why is everyone so hung up on Quinn's shot.

Litterally its probably the easiest skill to improve .

Pettersson himself said that 2 yrs ago he couldnt do a one-timer.

I remember Kesler came back w a laser wrister from a whole off season of shot training.

If he has a bomb of a shot and had the elite skills he has then he probably wouldn't have been available at 7 to us.

Compare Quinn's skills to someone like Bouchard who has a rocket but cant skate, turn, pass or think like Quinn

Who do you think will have a better chance at developing their weakness. Quinn or Bouchard?

Quinn is going to re-invent and revolutionize our offence . Just be patient

Var

Nov 10, 2007
Big slapping point shots can be more show than their worth. But having said that, velocity is important from the point because you don't get to choose how the ice is laid out. If you've got a player off center of the shot, a wrister/tip combo's the play. But if he's shooting off a cross ice pass, velocity's really important because of the distance. From that distance if it's not fast, the shot's not a weapon - it's a turnover.

Still, with when it comes to QH, it's hard to expect him to be punching in at a 10's across the board just yet. Not worried in the least. He seems like a real dude.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Clearly anyone who doesn’t have a shot comparable to EP just isn’t working hard enough at it

Cheeks Clapinski

Sep 26, 2017
This is just a re-skinned discussion of posters saying young players with skating issues should just be like Horvat and get better at it. Just replace skating with shooting and Bo with EP40

Reactions: PredsForPresidents

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I think not having a big bomb from the point wouldn't be much of an issue for Hughes. Hughes' skating allows him to create space easily if the other team backs off on him. He'll just skate the puck in and change the angles.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I heard from someone that this kid is so good he’s gonna get gudbrandson to score 3timea his career rate in Hughes rookie season.

His shots an issue as well as his defensive play doesn’t mean he can’t improve them it just means that he has to improve it to reach his full potential.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Unfortunately devleloping a good shot isn't as simple as just practicing it. Practice is one essential factor to getting there but if that's all it took, everyone in the NHL would be a sniper. Same goes for skating. Guys like Pettersson/Kesler for shooting and Horvat for skating are exceptions - not the rules.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Article: Pronman's 2019 World Junior Championship wrap: Standouts,... Full Quote:

Hughes’ play in the semifinal wasn’t the best, but his play in every other game left little doubt he was one of the best players at the tournament. The point totals didn’t show it, but when he was on the ice, USA had the puck. His feet are elite, as is his offensive creativity. He made so many plays on the breakout, zone entries and inside the offensive zone that there were times he looked a level above the competition. He needs to reign in the urge to make the cute extra play, as he was often the victim of a bad turnover, but his potential is clearly off the charts.

Ray Ferraro disagrees. Said his game is a ways away from the NHL level. He’s worried about his defending.

Made me confused when I literally heard Ryan Biech say the opposite earlier in the day.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Unfortunately devleloping a good shot isn't as simple as just practicing it. Practice is one essential factor to getting there but if that's all it took, everyone in the NHL would be a sniper. Same goes for skating. Guys like Pettersson/Kesler for shooting and Horvat for skating are exceptions - not the rules.

Your shot is something that you can improve by practicing over and over again. It's more mechanics than everything else. If Tanev shot the puck 1000 times each day he would without a doubt he way better. He just doesn't care enough.

Improving it to Ovechkin levels is obviously a different story. Im saying he could go from top 3 worst shot on the team to average by practicing.

Skating is a more dynamic skill that is harder to improve. Edge work, speed, balance, power, transitions, acceleration etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad