Edler - Karlsson
Hughes - Petriangelo
Stecher - Tanev
Hutton

MisfortuneCookie

Replace Benning with a potato.
Jan 25, 2018

Welcome to the Quinn Hughes era

Another example of this management group (pair?) having no patience and no foresight.

Great plan. Let's both burn a year off his ELC and be forced to use a protection slot in the expansion draft, all so that Aquilini can keep his hopes alive for two whole games of playoff revenue. With only a few months of patience we could get a whole extra year of play from this player on the cheap. Now we'll need to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson during the same off-season, and none of the contracts that comprise Benning's ingenious $12 million 4th line will have expired by then. Future looking bright. We'll be in cap hell and still paying Eriksson and Gudbranson $10 million for their "contributions."

You can't win in the NHL without effective young players contributing on their ELC. Oh right, this team isn't about winning, it's about selling hotdogs and $10 beers for two games of a first round sweep.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Another example of this management group (pair?) having no patience and no foresight.

Great plan. Let's both burn a year off his ELC and be forced to use a protection slot in the expansion draft, all so that Aquilini can keep his hopes alive for two whole games of playoff revenue. With only a few months of patience we could get a whole extra year of play from this player on the cheap. Now we'll need to re-sign Hughes and Pettersson during the same off-season, and none of the contracts that comprise Benning's ingenious $12 million 4th line will have expired by then. Future looking bright. We'll be in cap hell and still paying Eriksson and Gudbranson $10 million for their "contributions."

You can't win in the NHL without effective young players contributing on their ELC. Oh right, this team isn't about winning, it's about selling hotdogs and $10 beers for two games of a first round sweep.

Quinn wants to turn pro and be in the NHL. Why would we deny his request?

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
Quinn wants to turn pro and be in the NHL. Why would we deny his request?

The same reason you might not want to eat ice-cream for dinner and ice-cream for dessert. Just because he wants something, or you want something, doesn't mean it's a good idea, or that it makes sense for the team at this very second. Boeser might want a $20 million contract. Who are we to deny him? It's called "management." I can understand why you might not be familiar with the concept given the team you follow.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
The same reason you might not want to eat ice-cream for dinner and ice-cream for dessert. Just because he wants something, or you want something, doesn't mean it's a good idea, or that it makes sense for the team at this very second. Boeser might want a $20 million contract. Who are we to deny him? It's called "management." I can understand why you might not be familiar with the concept given the team you follow.

lmao, thats obviously not the same. Its very common practice to sign college players when their seasons are over to give them an early look in the NHL. He could also join Utica for a playoff run as well so who knows what they what they want for him.

Catamarca Livin

Jul 29, 2010

I am selfish as well as I want to watch him play as soon as possible. I think it likely helps his development as well. Gives him incentive for the summer ensures that he signs with us and likely is better for relationship. Maybe hold him out a couple games to protect for expansion draft, but holding him out when he is good enough to play would be bush league.

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
lmao, thats obviously not the same. Its very common practice to sign college players when their seasons are over to give them an early look in the NHL. He could also join Utica for a playoff run as well.

It's exactly the same. You can decide right now whether you're going to pay him $800,000 for Year 3, or $8,000,000 for Year 3, and it all hinges on him playing 25 meaningless games to end this season.

When they did it with Boeser I was okay with it. Apparently his family badly needed the money, and the team didn't have cap constraints, so paying him early didn't matter. Now that Benning has spent a good chunk of cap on 4th liners, who will still be under contract when negotiations with Pettersson and Hughes start, it's a bigger problem. If you waited until next year you could avoid negotiating with both Pettersson and Hughes in the same off-season. Both will be rich contracts. Now you'll go into 2021 not with one big question mark to pay, but two. Uncertainty is the enemy of good planning.

By the beginning of year 3 of his ELC I would hope the team is starting to become competitive. You're looking at a big cap-hit that could be used for rentals at the trade-deadline in Year 3 to bolster the team in other areas, but instead you're deciding to spend that money on a player you'd already have for cheap otherwise.

For this team to be successful it has to be future-oriented, but it never is. They're always *now now now.* Gotta make the playoffs! *Anything can happen once you're in!* Christ, the only thing stopping Benning from trading 2nd and 3rd round picks away is that the draft is in Vancouver this year.

The only way this move makes sense is to evaluate whether Hughes' defensive game and giveaways are so egregious that they need to spend big on a UFA defenseman this off-season. But we already know the entire D-core is a dumpster fire, so they should be doing that anyway.

Playing him early seems to have very limited benefits and very clear drawbacks. I think I've outlined them well.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

The irony in this post is next level. Hint: foresight

Reactions: xtra

MisfortuneCookie

Jan 25, 2018
I am selfish as well as I want to watch him play as soon as possible. I think it likely helps his development as well. Gives him incentive for the summer ensures that he signs with us and likely is better for relationship. Maybe hold him out a couple games to protect for expansion draft, but holding him out when he is good enough to play would be bush league.

No, bush league is mismanaging your assets to such a degree that you can't afford to sign your good young players in the 2021 off-season because you've committed too much cap-space to 4th liners and decided to burn a bunch of ELC years off your young prospects. Considering this GM just mismanaged himself into being forced to play a teenage goalie from the OHL with not a single professional game of experience, with no goalie on the bench to back him up, I have absolutely no faith that they're actually *planning* for anything. Planning is clearly not an area of strength.

Bush league is having no good young players contributing on ELCs because you had no patience. Bush league is being fined for tampering because you can't keep your mouth shut about PK Subban in a TV interview. Bush league is offer-sheeting Ryan O'Reily to a 2-year, $10 million contract and not being aware that he would have to clear waivers first (enjoying the Weisbrod era?). Detail-oriented, careful planning is the exact opposite of Bush League. On the contrary, it's how championship teams are built.

Benning is trying to save his job and doesn't care about the future. He knows he'll be gone before he can reap the rewards if he doesn't burn that ELC year now. If you can't see that then you're blind. He's hoping Hughes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and distract everyone from the horrible D-core he's constructed. His head is on the chopping block, and every managerial embarrassment brings the axe closer.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
No, bush league is mismanaging your assets to such a degree that you can't afford to sign your good young players in the 2021 off-season because you've committed too much cap-space to 4th liners and decided to burn a bunch of ELC years off your young prospects. Considering this GM just mismanaged himself into being forced to play a teenage goalie from the OHL with not a single professional game of experience, with no goalie on the bench to back him up, I have absolutely no faith that they're actually *planning* for anything. Planning is clearly not an area of strength.

Bush league is having no good young players contributing on ELCs because you had no patience. Bush league is being fined for tampering because you can't keep your mouth shut about PK Subban in a TV interview. Bush league is offer-sheeting Ryan O'Reily to a 2-year, $10 million contract and not being aware that he would have to clear waivers first (enjoying the Weisbrod era?). Detail-oriented, careful planning is the exact opposite of Bush League. On the contrary, it's how championship teams are built.

Benning is trying to save his job and doesn't care about the future. He knows he'll be gone before he can reap the rewards if he doesn't burn that ELC year now. If you can't see that then you're blind. He's hoping Hughes can pull a rabbit out of his hat and distract everyone from the horrible D-core he's constructed. His head is on the chopping block, and every managerial embarrassment brings the axe closer.

rent free paragraph here boys

Reactions: Jack Burton

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
Can you just imagine a Gudbranson and Hughes pairing...wow, just wow

We can call them Swiss Cheeze

I kid, I kid! I’m looking forward to seeing Hughes, although long term its gonna hurt as Misfortune Cookie pointed out above. But when has foresight been a strongsuit of this organization. So I say the heck with it, life is short, bring it on!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad