Quinn Hughes 80 Assist Watch

Feb 20, 2013
With 3 assists last night, Quinn Hughes now has 74 in 79 games. With 3 to play, he would need 6 more assists to reach 80. This is highly unlikely, but would represent a rarer* achievement than the 70 goal or 100 assist marks that Matthews and McDavid/Kucherov are chasing. (*Although there are obviously fewer defensemen than forwards which decreases the number of high statistical achievements by itself.)

He also needs 2 more to equal or 3 more to pass Karlsson's 76 last year to post the highest assist total or any defenseman in the last 30 years. This mark is much more realistic and would still be a historic feat.

80 assists has been achieved 10 times by 3 different defencemen (Orr, Coffey, Leetch). Most recently in 1991-92.

70 goals has been achieved 14 times by 8 different players.

100 assists has been achieved 13 times by 3 different players (Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr).

Points aren't the only measure of a player's value, and Hughes has been dynamic in all facets of the game, but it certainly shouldn't hurt his Norris chances if he puts up a historic assist total as the cherry on top of his overall contributions. With that in mind, if he actually manages to get to 80 he should also get more Hart consideration than he currently is.

Calderon

Mar 24, 2006
Tbh dmen's single season assist numbers have never been in my radar whatsoever. Would surely be cool if Hughes could hit 80.

Feb 20, 2013
80 assists doesn't mean anything if you can't play defense too

/s
Yeah, it certainly diminishes the achievement. Karlsson's 101 points last year was impressive, but it was also coupled with a complete disregard for the defensive side of the game.

That Hughes is putting up so many points to go with his elite defensive impact is truly remarkable.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
would be wild. no idea he was that close. I still stand by the kotkaniemi pick.
1712884835096.gif

BurnabyJoe7

Derek Ryan is a top 6 forward change my mind
Apr 12, 2019
Yeah, it certainly diminishes the achievement. Karlsson's 101 points last year was impressive, but it was also coupled with a complete disregard for the defensive side of the game.

That Hughes is putting up so many points to go with his elite defensive impact is truly remarkable.
Last watched hughes against LA on Saturday. He's usually alright in his own end but if you call that elite defensive play you might need to get your eyes checked.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
I didn't realize 80 assists by a defenseman was that rare tbh. I would have thought at least Bourque, Housley. Maybe even Potvin or MacInnis would have done it.

Really impressive by Hughes.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Avs2022

Jan 4, 2011
Plus, you gotta subtract all the empty net assists Facts. Cause I just read the Kucherov thread where he has like 49 empty net points or something.

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Plus, you gotta subtract all the empty net assists Facts. Cause I just read the Kucherov thread where he has like 49 empty net points or something.
Hughes has 4 empty net assists and 1 goal.

80 assists for a defenseman is insane though.

Orr had an 102, 90, 89, 87, 83 and 80

Coffey 86, 84, 80, 75

Leetch 80

Last edited:

TheUnusedCrayon

Apr 12, 2018
Last watched hughes against LA on Saturday. He's usually alright in his own end but if you call that elite defensive play you might need to get your eyes checked.
As somebody who watched Tanev in his prime, he's a notch below Tanev this year but still very good regardless. Just being one notch below might not be best in the league, but still very damn good.

There have been plays where he outright strips guys on a regular basis. His stick work and body positioning has been exceptional this season, but he's had the rare gaffs where he trusts his partner too much and let's guys sneak in behind when he could be a bit more precautions. But some of the highlights that get shown on Hockey Night in Canada are absolutely phenomenal. Nick Lidstrom level of defensive play where guys look like they protect the play well and he somehow ends up with the puck cleanly.

If he can blend out the rare gaffs, he could be elite defensively. He lacks Tanev's consistency from his prime defensively, but he's still very good. Also his defense is very subtle and something you have to outright look at because he's not hitting and dispossessing, he's biding time and then stripping when the time is right a lot of times. It's really really cerebral and something that took me almost a quarter of a season to appreciate. You can tell Leetch is showing him how to play with position.

Feb 20, 2013
Update: Hughes has 0 assists in his last 2 games and remains at 74. 80 is all but out of the question now, but he could tie Karlsson's mark from last year with one more, or pass it with 2 more, which would set the best assist mark for a defenseman in the last 30 years.

It will be interesting to see if he even plays Thursday with the division title clinched.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
Update: Hughes has 0 assists in his last 2 games and remains at 74. 80 is all but out of the question now, but he could tie Karlsson's mark from last year with one more, or pass it with 2 more, which would set the best assist mark for a defenseman in the last 30 years.

It will be interesting to see if he even plays Thursday with the division title clinched.
I'm obviously biased but i'd prefer Hughes doesn't eclipse Karlsson's total from last year. I don't think people truly realize how amazing Karlsson's 101pts were on that Sharks team, so the more that season is separate from other great Dman seasons, the better.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Feb 20, 2013
Quinn gets to 75 with the assist tonight, which is one shy of the mark set last year by Karlsson. Still he is tied for the 14th most all time among defensemen.

For comparison, McDavid and Kucherov's 100 assists are also tied for 14th all time among all players, whilst Matthews' 69 goals is tied for 15th all time. Scoring was up this year and that makes 4 players setting top 15 all time marks.

Reactions: Raistlin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad