Quick (unofficial) Poll: Which Option Best Makes the Leafs a Perennial Contender

Durkin67

Those are the only options??

tumblr_mf0wbidlcf1qbmftbo1_400.gif

OTHER. You fill in the blanks, in this case. :)

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect most would chose #2, but successful teams aren't built around individual players. Even a Crosby or a Toews won't be able to get their team to a cup final, without other key positions filled and organizational depth.

CalgaryLeaf*

I suspect most would chose #2, but successful teams aren't built around individual players. Even a Crosby or a Toews won't be able to get their team to a cup final, without other key positions filled and organizational depth.

Name me one Stanley Cup winner in the last 20 years that didn't have a #1 center...It goes without saying that a legit contender will have the surrounding pieces in place.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Name me one Stanley Cup winner in the last 20 years that didn't have a #1 center...It goes without saying that a legit contender will have the surrounding pieces in place.

You can't win without top goaltending or top defenders or even a GROUP of top forwards.

The #1C is a key piece but only part of the puzzle. The Islanders or the Bolts hasn't won anything despite each having one of the best centres in the league.

MajorLeaf

Maj. Conn Smythe
Dec 19, 2008
Ontario
I voted other.

This franchise needs a whole lot of changes to happen before it can become a perennial contender.

1) New ownership is the most important. When Stavro took over ownership the team's fortune changed. Same with Mike Ilitch in Detroit. It all starts from the top down. The past teachers pension/TD/Tanenbaum ownership and now the Bell/Rogers/TD/Tanenbaum ownership is a big fiasco. Once that changes then a real step will take place.

2) Management/Coaching changes. Dave Nonis and Randy Carlyle will need to be moved out. So far bringing in Dubas is a good move for Shanahan, so let's see what happens in the off-season for the Nonis/Carlyle.

3) Core needs changing. Even with #1C the problem is Kessel being too comfortable with Bozak as the two are inseparable. It's like Kessel forces the coaching staff to only play with Bozak and no one else as his center. Kind of reminds me like the Sedin twins where they see themselves as a "package" in any deal.

Also, Phaneuf needs a change of scenery, it doesn't matter if a top pairing defenseman plays with him. He was only decent prior to being a Maple Leaf while in Calgary and there is a reason why Calgary decided to move him.

All of this will take time of course in some cases many years. Leafs fans will have to be patient yet again.

Mindrust

Feb 28, 2013
I hope you mean contender for a playoff spot, because to think anything more at this point is ludicrous.

My vote goes to getting a #1D. Easiest way is to trade Kessel for that guy. We've already got a #1C in Kadri, and Nylander in the pipeline. It's going to be pretty difficult and costly to get an upgrade over Kadri, and even if we do, it doesn't fix the team's biggest problem: defense.

Durkin67

I hope you mean contender for a playoff spot, because to think anything more at this point is ludicrous.

The goal is to contend for the cup. The question is what option brings you closer.

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I'm happy were back to being terrible, now the comedians are back out :laugh:

Why even make this poll? I'm sure you could say "what would you rather have, Kessel on this team or a grill cheese?" and the sandwich would win.

The irony of you attacking someone's credibility.

The poll is just fine.

Durkin67

Maybe it's time mgmt stopped doing the easiest fix.

Agreed.

It might jumpstart them enough to make it into the first round, but the real surgery needs to happen in the off season. Or, you jettison Kessel, Kadri, Gardiner and hopefully Lupul, bottom out and collect near game ready prospects and add value to the pick. Sh!!!t. Did I just accidentally align myself with tank nation?

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Why is Phil Kessel an option? The last 5 years is proof he isn't singlehandedly bringing playoffs here. It should be #1 C, #1D, A new coach(Babcock), Other. This poll seems like its going to be used as ammo for the anti Kessel people on the board. If your point with this poll is to say Kessel isn't enough, we should all know that by now, if its a post to say trade Kessel disguised you should probably jump on another Kessel hate thread, this post screams alterior motive, sorry if I am making an incorrect assumption but the options are pretty vague and don't have any viable options.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Well, I voted top line centre, almost too obvious at this point. That would propel us to an area very close to contending. After that it might just be nips and tucks after getting a coach with a working defensive system.

And if it took a Kessel to get that solid top line centre...then amen and good bye.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Becoming a completely different team. Different players. Different coaches. Different scouts and a different general manager. Just erase it all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad