Quick re-tool or major re-build?

Bure All Day

Mar 29, 2012
Vancouver
Didn't vote because I don't think either option is necessary.

If Gillis plays his cards right, we should be able to remain (reasonably) competitive while still adding younger pieces to compete in the future.

If we can have another draft similar to last year's, we should be in good shape going forward

Soth

Feb 18, 2010
If we can have another draft similar to last year's, we should be in good shape going forward

That is not likely, since that draft was one of the deepest in recent history and we had 9th overall + our first. I would argue that draft was a quick retool.

And yeah, I think a quick retool would be a good idea, something in line with what we did at the last draft.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Given the strength of the 2015 draft I have no problems with tanking next year.
There's been more than enough (save the SC) success in recent years to be able to weather 1 bad season and the chance to completely turn the franchise around and increase the future chances at the Stanley cup.

Lundface*

Trade Bieksa, Burrows (when he regains some form) Luongo and Edler ( if the return warrants it). If that counts as a rebuild or retool is up to you...try to get some picks this year and try and bounce back next year. The defence needs to be a more mobile group moving forward, and more money needs to be distributed on offence.

VeteranNetPresence

Disco Super Fly.
Dec 8, 2011
Vancouver
re-build
a re-tool will consist of us getting some second rate prospects while the top players continue to play like crap -> AKA bubble playoff team

arsmaster*

Retool.

Edit* it's always nice when people who make polls make the results public.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
As much as I'd prefer a complete overhaul I don't think we have the right coach and management in place to make that a realistic possibility.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I can't answer that until I see what happens at the deadline and around the draft/UFAs.

If we can get young roster players than are ready to contribute then keep rolling along with a quick retool. If you can do an Edler for ROR then you are only your way to a retool with only 1 or two more hard to get pieces to add.

If the best offers are picks and unready prospects - rebuild.

Last edited:

TARS

May 3, 2009
Vancouver
Depends what Edler can get. The rest of the core is too old to return the young roster players that could make an immediate impact. I don't think an Edler trade is enough to make the team a contender next year. We're kind of in a rough spot. It's hard to know whether to blow it up or try to creep into the playoffs the next few years and rely on the prospects we have and see how we draft.

arsmaster*

As much as I'd prefer a complete overhaul I don't think we have the right coach and management in place to make that a realistic possibility.

Or owner.

I don't like the terms "quick" or "major" in the poll either.

A retool is an ongoing process.

A major rebuild is stripping down everything to the studs.

Sedin's are on a 4 year deal. Unless they retire a major rebuild won't happen for 4 seasons.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Given the strength of the 2015 draft I have no problems with tanking next year.
There's been more than enough (save the SC) success in recent years to be able to weather 1 bad season and the chance to completely turn the franchise around and increase the future chances at the Stanley cup.

So Next Years draft is suppose to be a strong one? Is it comparable to the 2013 draft?

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary

Sedin's are on a 4 year deal. Unless they retire a major rebuild won't happen for 4 seasons.

A quick re-tool would be something along the lines of moving a dman for a forward and some other minor changes. A major re-build would constitute moving 2 or more core pieces for youthful returns.

Basically, do you want personnel moves to try and compete next year, or are you okay with personnel decisions that will take the team further from contending than they are right now.

Either way, I don't believe the Sedins or Hamhuis will be moved in the next 2 years, at least.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Or owner.

Similar as to how I see it.

Reset - offseason
Retool - rolling over players, not an instant job
rebuild - sell and tank

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Re-tool

Trade Top 4 dman for offensive help. Prerequisites, young, stiff, and full of potential.

If so young and unpolished that not even drafted yet (a la Horvat trade last year) so be it. If as old and accomplished as an O'Reilly or Kane, so be it.

To me, one or two players traded, regardless of the return, doesn't define a rebuild. Teams can lose one or two players via ufa each year, with no return... and still have the goal to win asap.

If an Edler or a Bieksa get traded for nice draft picks I'll treat it as if they left via ufa for nothing... the roster spot being filled as best as possible to win asap.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I want to make a couple of deals here for some young forwards with upside or high draft picks. I'd like to move potentially both of Edler and Bieksa IF the right offers surface. Sign a UFA defenseman in the offseason who can run a power play (or trade for one if needed) and bring up Corrado to fill the spots.

I'd also like to sell Hansen at the deadline if we can get a 1st round pick.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Re-tool

Trade Top 4 dman for offensive help. Prerequisites, young, stiff, and full of potential.

The question for me is, doesn't that just take us further from contention, unless Gillis hits a homerun in free agency? You're usually not going to get younger and better in the same transaction...

If you trade Edler for a guy like Couturier, this team still wouldn't have a PP or be able to score enough goals to compete.

IMO there are 2 ways this will likely go - race for 8th in the West, or race for the top of the draft. Based on how ridiculously tought the West is, and how ridiculously strong the top of the draft is - I'm leaning heavily towards a youth movement at this point.

pahlsson

Mar 22, 2012
too many old players on long, possibly unmoveable contracts to do a total rebuild

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I'll vote retool but I don't like the inference some might make that this option means it has to be completed for next season.

Basically my choice is to maintain continuity among five to seven of the team's most important veteran skaters.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
too many old players on long, possibly unmoveable contracts to do a total rebuild

Not really. Teams that re-build don't move every single veteran, core player they have. You still need to fill out the roster and hit the cap floor.

If Gillis makes 2 or 3 moves where he knows the team will be further from competing than they are right now, I would constitute that as a re-build. You're essentially saying the team isn't a contender right now, and you're willing to take it even further from contention.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad