Quick Question About Pens Fans in DC

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
When I watched the NBCSPORTS Pens Caps rivalry show Alan May said before either Mario or the Pens 1991 season there were no Pens fans at the Caps Center.
I find this hard to believe and wanted to ask if the Pens always had a large showing of fans pre cup or pre Mario.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
My family is from PA and through all the Pirates and Steelers seasons of the 70s and early-mid-80s the Pens never came up once. I saw my first Pens fan in college in the early 90s. Had a Jagr mullet.

Reactions: brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I have no problem with Pittsburgh or the players they had. It took the Pens a while to get there, it wasn't until the late '80s early '90's that things started to fall in place for them. In terms of Penguin fans in DC I kinda think distance and scheduling could play a part. Cheaper for Pens fans to visit Philly or to see them at home, inconvenience making the trip especially mid week I would assume would be a real hassle. I can say that it's cheaper and easier for me to see the Caps at MSG or the Coliseum (gonna miss you) or on tv than to head down to DC. But that's just my opinion.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I may be wrong but I don't think Pens fan invasions were a thing beyond playoff games until the firesale when regular season attendance started to drop. Any STH from the 90s recall?

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
I may be wrong but I don't think Pens fan invasions were a thing beyond playoff games until the firesale when regular season attendance started to drop. Any STH from the 90s recall?
Even in the Mario days, I associate the Flyers with the Cap Centre invasions, not Pittsburgh.

No I disagree. I go back to the 90s, the Pens, Rangers, Flyers, Red Wings were massive invasions. However my memory (I was born in 84) doesn't go before 1993.
I've seen highlights in 91 and 92 which clearly were invasions.
I am wondering, pre-Mario, and then Mario but pre 90s, were there Pens invasions?

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
The wild thing is, since winning the cup in 2018, we're actually starting to see Caps fan invasions of opposing stadiums! In all my years as a Caps fan (40 years) I never dreamed I would see that happen -- in fact, to me, that is a MORE remarkable occurrence than the Caps winning the Cup. But is happening to be sure -- we saw a bit of it when they played Las Vegas in the Finals. Game 5 was about 50% Caps fans.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
The wild thing is, since winning the cup in 2018, we're actually starting to see Caps fan invasions of opposing stadiums! In all my years as a Caps fan (40 years) I never dreamed I would see that happen -- in fact, to me, that is a MORE remarkable occurrence than the Caps winning the Cup. But is happening to be sure -- we saw a bit of it when they played Las Vegas in the Finals. Game 5 was about 50% Caps fans.
I've been to a couple recent Caps/Avs games in Denver and the amount of Red was always insane. Although I believe the most recent one (that I didn't attend) was even significantly more than before, judging by the twitter photos IIRC.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Caps fans always had a strong showing in Tampa but it was like 40% Caps fans for the last regular season game I went to in December.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
I have it on good authority (*1) that most Pens fans started off as non-hockey fans who were converted to the Pens. Most were drunk Cowboys fans who were easily duped by other drunk Cowboys fans at tailgating parties into buying Penguins apparel

*1 #statistics

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I was only rarely going to games back then....watched just about all on tv....but no, the bettguin bandwagon didn’t fire up until after their first cups...and really took off once Cindy came along.

they were a poopy team, even with Mario, missing the playoffs for years in a row. Of course fans were there, but it was more or less a smattering.

As said prior....flyer fans were out in force...it was a distance thing. Isles too and the jerks.

funny, during the dark ages, cassidys tenure, deadthing fans would take over the section I sat in.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00