Speculation: Questions from the isles board

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Isles will have a bunch of inexperienced kids pushing for blueline spots. I would like to see them sign a vet, who can help mentor them and play a 2nd pairing role for 2014-2015.

Because the isles are not an attractive spot for ufas, I think they'd probably have to offer an extra yr.

How much does Morris have left in the tank? Can he still play a top four role?

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
The #Morris4Norris meme was rolling around this forum the first half of the year. He had a death in the family roughly midseason, missed a couple games and didn't look the same after.

If his head is right, yes, he can still be a very salty 2nd pairing guy. PHX doesn't want to / need to stay at this party because we have so many good, young, cheaper defensemen.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Last season he had a MISERABLE start. He was awful and we all thought he was done. Then he missed some games for personal/family issues. When he returned he was excellent. One of our best D for the rest of that season. This year it was the opposite. He started the year like gangbusters. He was one of our best D and was playing brilliantly. Then he missed some time for personal/family issues. When he returned he was AWFUL. He was completely asleep out there. Drift wood. Had absolutely no emotional response on ice even when he started getting healthy scratches.

So he's a mystery to be honest. Physically I think he's far from done and could absolutely be great. You just never know what you are going to get from him mentally. He seems to be really affected by off ice factors (every person in the entire world allows their personal life to impact their professional life, it's just Derek Morris seems to display it more than other players).

He and is family all live in Glendale year round. They aren't like most player family's who run back to Canada as soon as the season ends. They are Arizonans for real. As a result, if he does play for another NHL team, I'd be shocked if it was in the East. I suspect he will seek work in the Pacific Division and if he can't find it, he will retire. That's my guess.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
He's done.

He sucked in boston and was largely inconsistant here. He's nowhere near a top 4 D in this league.

He's now a guy who can help you as the 7th D. No consistancy and no longer willing to get his nose dirty. Not very good at handling puck so when you remove the toughness part he's useless.

The coyotes need a tough stay at home type guy and they will let him go. What does that tell you?

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
I think he has plenty left to offer, but is hitting UFA status at the wrong time for him to stay a Coyote. The Yotes have a lot of competition at D. I can't imagine that signing Morris is a top priority for GMDM, considering the team's completely inadequate offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad