Question

Cable

Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

I've been a fan of Hockey and the Flyers my entire life and even though I moved around a lot growing up and even today, I still enjoy watching the sport and Flyers play. However, recently I've become extremely angry and frustrated with the entire NHL, and not just with this team.

To be honest, the league was changed to allow more goals, yet that really hasn't happened, and without fights or passion from the players on ice, it's actually become very boring to watch.

In fact, I haven't followed a pro NBA basketball game in about 10 years and I find myself having more fun watching the Sixers lose then watching any hockey game on television. It's that sad!!!

So, my question is simple... Why can't the NHL bring back old school hockey? It was so much fun a few years ago.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
Hello,

I've been a fan of Hockey and the Flyers my entire life and even though I moved around a lot growing up and even today, I still enjoy watching the sport and Flyers play. However, recently I've become extremely angry and frustrated with the entire NHL, and not just with this team.

To be honest, the league was changed to allow more goals, yet that really hasn't happened, and without fights or passion from the players on ice, it's actually become very boring to watch.

In fact, I haven't followed a pro NBA basketball game in about 10 years and I find myself having more fun watching the Sixers lose then watching any hockey game on television. It's that sad!!!

So, my question is simple... Why can't the NHL bring back old school hockey? It was so much fun a few years ago.

It is just how the game has evolved. There is much more speed and skill to the game now. I mean when it comes to fighting, the NHL did not take it upon themselves to ban it, teams decided themselves to not have goons on their roster because of how the game evolved. And because the games are so tight checking now, there is no need for stupid penalties that goons would take because those PPGs could be the difference now as more games are 2-1, 1-0, 3-2, etc.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
I thinks it's a combination of the three point system and the game becoming so over-coached.

Teams understand that a couple of extra games going to OT over the course of a season could be the difference between making the playoffs or not. So teams are less inclined to go for it in third period of a close game.

Systems have taken over what used to be a free flowing game. And everyone has to buy in, including the elite talents. Gamebreaking talents aren't given free range to break games open anymore.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad