Question to people that moved (Hockey Team Related)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm sure a lot of people here moved from the NY area at some point. I just signed a lease for an apartment to Pittsburgh as I'll be attending Carnegie Mellon's Tepper School of Business or 2 years. My question is did you guys adopt the local team as a 2nd team, or maybe learn to hate it (more if you already did), or were ambivalent. My problem is that I like Pittsburgh but hate the Pens and Steelers. That said this will be the first time I lived outside of NY since I was 3 and have soft spot for it already. Maybe I can still hate the Pens but not as much. What did you guys do?

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Rangers fan first and foremost. When the Thrashers were here and I got tix to see them versus any other team, i'd want them to win...mostly because all my friends are thrashers fans and its annoying to watch a game live without any rooting interest at all.

but right now my "2nd" favorite team woudl be the Red Wings just so my wife doesnt castrate me while i'm asleep.

but really i just want the rangers to win and all other teams die a miserable death.

dont tell her i said that.

SixGoalieSystem

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2011
Trondheim
Not NY or the Rangers, but I'm a pretty dedicated fan of my local soccer team (to the degree of insanity that I go to every home game and most away games, also in the European competitions, spending a third of my net income doing so) and when I left my home town for a few years, my love for my own team only grew, as did my hatred for the other club.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I didn't really adopt the Hurricanes when I first moved to Charlotte. At the time, the Checkers weren't the Canes affiliate (they were actually the Rangers ECHL team).

When I moved to Nashville, I definitely adopted the Predators as my second team. Went to a ton of games, had a great time. I still follow them even though I left Nashville 3 years ago.

When I moved back to Charlotte, the Hurricanes were the Checkers parent team, but my getting into the NHL club really only extends to talking to friends who are fans. The Checkers themselves are just a good way to watch some live hockey from time to time.

Wolfy*

You should support the team from the city where you are born or lived most of your life, or the closest team. Anything else would be treason.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
You should support the team from the city where you are born or lived most of your life, or the closest team. Anything else would be treason.

He didn't say anything about not supporting the Rangers anymore. You can definitely develop an attachment to a second team and not have it be "treasonous" to the first team.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
I would think if I moved to Pittsburgh there is NO WAY I could root for the Pens as it is one of our rivals. If I moved to say St Louis then maybe I could adopt them as a second team,

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Went to school in LA for four years, and now I'm back here. Back in 09, I went to about 15 Kings games (before the fair-weather fans realized they were an up-and-coming team and would be great very soon...tickets cost me something like $19 a game).

I always had a soft spot for the Kings, but no more or less than any other team that I occasionally pull for. I REALLY like Kopitar, and liked Brown for a long time. But no, I didn't root for them any more than any other team. Plus, I hate LA fans (the casual fans, not the die-hards...I met some amazing LA fans at the Staples Center).

Traditionally, my "second favorite team" is always whichever team JD is running (first STL, now CBJ), or whatever team has my favorite players (TB with Cally). But in reality, I hardly root for those teams at all.

As per living in Pittsburgh but hating PIT teams...more power to you. There's something special about being a perpetual thorn in the side of your rivals. You're on their home turf, let them know how much they suck! :laugh:

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
LOVE watching the Bruins and Jack Edwards. Definitely root for them as long as it doesn't impact the Rangers.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Moving to Minnesota in a couple of months and I plan on adopting the Wild as a Western Conference rooting interest.

If I were moving to Pittsburgh I feel like I would hate the Penguins even more.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm moving to Portland this summer and intend to become a Winterhawks fan. Not the same though. Just be grateful that you live in a time when you can watch your favorite team in real time from just about anywhere.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thanks for the answers. I already softened towards the Pens a bit, I went to a sports museum yesterday and was happy to see the Pens there and didn't have my normal repulsion, though I was more happy because it's a hockey team and not everything was Steelers (was mostly).

jerseyjinx94

I jinx players.
Jan 11, 2012
Miami, FL
I lived in Mass and hated the Bruins. I'm a Met fan and I used to root for the Sox vicariously through the Mets because of the Yankees, and I left Mass hating the Sox more than I hate the Yankees.

I live in Miami now and I've always hated the Heat. Nothing can make me like the Heat. In fact, seeing the Heat fans and banners and BS everywhere makes me hate them more. Panthers I'm ambivalent. Dolphins, meh, I'm a Giants fan. Always despised the Marlins for ending the Mets' seasons in 07 and 08.

I could never root for the Penguins. I think you should hate them.

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
Well there was no local team in Houston, but I never switched teams in any of the other sports.

Getting closer to those Pens fans would make me ill and hate that team even more.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
BTW, I wouldn't root for Pittsburgh if we're close to them in the standings, but like they were last year where it didn't matter anymore during the regular season, I wonder if I will end up quietly rooting for them.

TeamStewie

Jan 17, 2013
BTW, I wouldn't root for Pittsburgh if we're close to them in the standings, but like they were last year where it didn't matter anymore during the regular season, I wonder if I will end up quietly rooting for them.

If you do you have no soul :shakehead

skymachine

Aug 2, 2005
New York
First congrats for going to CMU, great school. Moving to the Bay Area I have somewhat adopted the Sharks as a 2nd fav team, its a bit easier when it's a different conference. I'll root for them, but do not get devastated when they blow a 3-0 playoff series lead.

Being in division makes it tougher. Good news is you'll get to go to 2-3 NYR games a season.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
First congrats for going to CMU, great school. Moving to the Bay Area I have somewhat adopted the Sharks as a 2nd fav team, its a bit easier when it's a different conference. I'll root for them, but do not get devastated when they blow a 3-0 playoff series lead.

Being in division makes it tougher. Good news is you'll get to go to 2-3 NYR games a season.

Thanks! I'm already feeling the heat. I looked at their math modules and 3 of the 5 are stuff I haven't done in years, two of those were calculus. Luckily I've become somewhat of a probability nerd (though not always a correct nerd) and got 5 out of 5 in probability. But talk about a wakeup call for the rest of it. Even the first module I had trouble with (especially this one word problem that tormented me).

Regarding the 2-3 NYR games, yeah, I wonder if I'll have the time though. The season friggin starts for the Rangers during finals.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Carnegie Mellon was my #1 choice when i was going to college, i got in but they didnt give me financial aid for some reason. Ended up going to Rutgers instead. oh well, i dont use my degree anyway lol.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Carnegie Mellon was my #1 choice when i was going to college, i got in but they didnt give me financial aid for some reason. Ended up going to Rutgers instead. oh well, i dont use my degree anyway lol.

Yeah I got no financial aid, but I pretty much had to accept as I was getting jerked around by my other schools on the waitlist. Carnegie Mellon is a great comp sci and engineering school. Business school it's good but not elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad