Question regarding last year's KHL junior draft

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Please excuse my ignorance here as I'm certainly out of my element when it comes to Russian MHL outfits and independent clubs. I've noticed by looking over last summer's KHL junior draft that a couple of players were drafted from a St.Petersburg school that is listed as "NEVA" including a player that SKA drafted in the 4th or 5th spot overall. Is this a high school program or school for gifted athletes or something? I've looked online and can't find anything in regards to a junior outfit or independent club team called "NEVA". Part of my intrigue comes from when I tried to find out the background info from the top pick Dimitri Osipov and found that Khabarovsk drafted him from an unaffiliated and independent school from the Moscow suburbs. Is Neva similar to this? Any info on these two outfits would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yup, it's a hockey school based in St. Petersburg. Here's the list of all of them, 'Neva' is 6th from the top.

And yes, Neva is similar to the school Osipov was drafted from, that's a system of Russian sports - you go to the school nearest to your home until the big club notices and scoops you up :) Equivalent of "hockey school" in NA would be a "hockey program", I guess.

Last edited:

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Yup, it's a hockey school based in St. Petersburg. Here's the list of all of them, 'Neva' is 6th from the top.

And yes, Neva is similar to the school Osipov was drafted from, that's a system of Russian sports - you go to the school nearest to your home until the big club notices and scoops you up :) Equivalent of "hockey school" in NA would be a "hockey program", I guess.

Thank you. Appreciate it. Moscow Rus is how Osipov's previous club came up on the CHL site when it came to the import draft. I was left scratching my head in regards to this wondering if it was just vague information being provided by the CHL. How many schools are in this league and how many games would be played in a season for these teenagers?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Thank you. Appreciate it. Moscow Rus is how Osipov's previous club came up on the CHL site when it came to the import draft. I was left scratching my head in regards to this wondering if it was just vague information being provided by the CHL. How many schools are in this league and how many games would be played in a season for these teenagers?

Rus is one of the leading independent schools in Moscow, they had a few really good prospects this year too (Aleksand Zakirov, Roman Skhodtsev).

The number of schools and the number of games varies from city to city and from region to region, also depends on the age of the players because those hockey schools have their teams for kids of the each age group (of each birth year). Russia has 6 separate regions of junior hockey (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ural, Sibir, Volga, Center).

But for example, Moscow '97 born championship featured a lot of teams, ~25 games. Also, the same players could play (if they were good enough) in Moscow's junior league (players born '95-'97) which consists of 16 teams.. Long story short, it's complicated.

For example, this is Maxim Karpov's stat card.

And for comparison, Anton Slepyshev's (Oilers prospect)

P.S. The site the links are from has a great database when it comes to Russian prospects, from junior hockey too

Last edited:

paul-laus

Jun 20, 2007
Rus is one of the leading independent schools in Moscow, they had a few really good prospects this year too (Aleksand Zakirov, Roman Skhodtsev).

The number of schools and the number of games varies from city to city and from region to region, also depends on the age of the players because those hockey schools have their teams for kids of the each age group (of each birth year). Russia has 6 separate regions of junior hockey (Moscow, St. Petersburg, Ural, Sibir, Volga, Center).

But for example, Moscow '97 born championship featured a lot of teams, ~25 games. Also, the same players could play (if they were good enough) in Moscow's junior league (players born '95-'97) which consists of 16 teams.. Long story short, it's complicated.

For example, this is Maxim Karpov's stat card.

And for comparison, Anton Slepyshev's (Oilers prospect)

P.S. The site the links are from has a great database when it comes to Russian prospects, from junior hockey too

Your a wealth of info. Thank you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad