Question regarding hand pass seen in Stars/Ducks game. (Made w/ forearm.)

Discussion in 'National Hockey League Talk' started by timelydewd, Oct 14, 2018.

View Users: View Users
  1. timelydewd

timelydewd Registered User

Hey, in the third period of the Stars/Ducks game, Radek Faksa directed the puck to Mattias Janmark with what looked to be his forearm rather than his hand, and the play was blown down for a hand pass. They specifically made mention of this on the Stars' broadcast, with the play-by-play guy mentioning it was directed with the arm, and Razor joked that it was just like soccer vis a vis hand balls. I thought that was a very apt comparison.

My question is simple: Is this the correct call? Faksa clearly played it forward with his forearm, just above the wrist. It definitely falls within the spirit of the rule. I have no issue with it if it's right. I used to ask lots of rules questions here, but thought I'd run out. Not so. Does anyone know if this was interpreted correctly? Sorry for being a nerd.

2. Kcb12345

Kcb12345 Registered User

Ref probably thought it was with his glove so he blew it dead

3. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Registered User

Dallas got called for that in their last game against Toronto, I'm pretty sure. Maybe the refs are looking out for it more.

4. LatvianTwist

LatvianTwist Global Moderator

http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Actually pretty vague and never directly addresses anything other than the open hand. You could certainly argue it should be allowed within the terminology of this rule.