Question regarding hand pass seen in Stars/Ducks game. (Made w/ forearm.)

timelydewd

Jan 7, 2018
Hey, in the third period of the Stars/Ducks game, Radek Faksa directed the puck to Mattias Janmark with what looked to be his forearm rather than his hand, and the play was blown down for a hand pass. They specifically made mention of this on the Stars' broadcast, with the play-by-play guy mentioning it was directed with the arm, and Razor joked that it was just like soccer vis a vis hand balls. I thought that was a very apt comparison.

My question is simple: Is this the correct call? Faksa clearly played it forward with his forearm, just above the wrist. It definitely falls within the spirit of the rule. I have no issue with it if it's right. I used to ask lots of rules questions here, but thought I'd run out. Not so. Does anyone know if this was interpreted correctly? Sorry for being a nerd.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/rules/2018-2019-NHL-rulebook.pdf

Rule 79 – Hand Pass
79.1 Hand Pass - A player shall be permitted to stop or “bat” a puck in the air with his open hand, or push it along the ice with his hand, and the play shall not be stopped unless, in the opinion of the on-ice officials, he has directed the puck to a teammate, or has allowed his team to gain an advantage, and subsequently possession and control of the puck is obtained by a player of the offending team, either directly or deflected off any player or official.
A player shall be permitted to catch the puck out of the air nbut must immediately place it or knock it down to the ice. If he catches it and skates with it, either to avoid a check or to gain a territorial advantage over his opponent, a minor penalty shall be assessed for “closing his hand on the puck” under Rule 67 – Handling Puck.

Actually pretty vague and never directly addresses anything other than the open hand. You could certainly argue it should be allowed within the terminology of this rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad