Question regarding Coffey..

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
That's a pretty good post, fairly accurate of the times I will say. But the "plunge" in production still wasnt too bad for Coffey starting in '91-92 after his 30th birthday. He still had point seasons from the backend of 69, 87, 77, 58 (lockout year) and 74. Still pretty good.
1989-90 was the last time Coffey was an all-star in a full season. He picked up a second-team nod that year, and frankly, it was a stats-based birth. He topped 100 points that season, but he was the same force he had been in the past. He wasn't as effective. And those who criticized him for his defensive play had plenty of ammo in 1989-90. I don't think a defenceman has ever received so much criticism for their play despite scoring so much. (Maybe Housley in 1992-93, but Housley didn't hit 100 points that year).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Certainly not. I rate Coffey among the top 50 all time players. I just do not consider him a top 10 defenseman(Just outside, top 11-12)

Anyone would be glad to have him. But when he draws comparisons to guys like Robinson/Chelios, or anyone else I rate ahead of him, I draw the line and protest.

Robinson no. But Chelios? That's close enough IMO. Chelios is commonly right at #10 on teh defenseman's list and if you have Coffey at #11-12 that is fairly close. Both won 3 Norris trophies and Coffey had 8 all-star selections while Chelios had 7. As for an all around game I give the nod to Chelly, but Coffey's offense I believe makes up for some of his more average abilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad