Question: Have you seen anyone fall on the ice as much as Marner?

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Are you referring to body contact or just overall falling?

I notice him and Nylander both fall at times when doing that quick half spin move.

TMLifer

Jan 8, 2011
Toronto
I don't mean when he gets knocked down, Marner falls even when he takes shots, makes passes, or just clearing the puck. It's like he's trying to put extra zing on it and falls down every time.

To me it seems like something he's grown up doing, like a habit. Was he like this in junior? Does anyone know who watched him extensively?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I lost count how many times Willie fell after making that tight turn last year, he seems to be better this year but it happened once last night.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Don't think Hyman deserves to get mentioned here. He only gets knocked down because he's totally relentless battling for the puck, he'll go in recklessly even when he doesn't have good body position/balance, just to start initiating contact to throw the other guy off. It often works, he wins tonnes of puck battles that he has no business winning, simply by throwing himself into them. He's arguably #1 on the team in terms of ability to win battles, he just puts himself in compromising situations where he's prone to getting knocked off his feet because he hustles so hard, and battles like crazy whenever the puck is remotely close to him.

Marner is different, he DOES get knocked down because he's skinnier than the opposition, he gets straight up outmuscled constantly. Again, though, I'm not worried. It's a very common issue for skilled, skinny youngsters, and almost all of them make big strides in that area as they age. His high skill game means he doesn't need a tonne of power, he just needs to get to mediocre NHL strength for it to be a complete non-issue, and I'm very confident he'll get there by his ~mid 20s.

While true, the question doesn’t say anything about who gets knocked over the most. It’s about who falls down the most and Hyman does fit the criteria, even if you’re right about him being a dog on the forecheck.

Crease Master

Dec 17, 2016
Kadri got knocked down a tonne in his early years, very similar to Marner now. Kadri got stronger over time, Marner will too.
I was going to say the same thing but you beat me to it. That being said, so much of Kadri being on his butt early on had to do with his propensity for embellishing to get penalty calls. He's toned that down and muscled up over the years to get rid of it as any sort of noticeable problem. I don't mind if Marner is on the ice because he's getting knocked down, it shows he's getting involved. If he's on his butt because he can't skate well I might be concerned, but that's clearly not the case here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad