Question: Have you seen anyone fall on the ice as much as Marner?

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
once marner physically matures more it'll show the biggest jump in his game i think, he hasnt changed much from year 1 so far this season, but his jump will come

Reactions: The Rat King

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
once marner physically matures more it'll show the biggest jump in his game i think, he hasnt changed much from year 1 so far this season, but his jump will come
yup. give him sometime to put on some weight and he'll be fine.

he's still built like a teenager lol

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Grabovski when he came and also Kadri. They were always on the ice.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Stajan was legendary for getting knocked down many times each game.
Also seems like a good time to bring up the time that Daniel Afredsson blamed a series loss on Tie Domi's lack of balance.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Kadri got knocked down a tonne in his early years, very similar to Marner now. Kadri got stronger over time, Marner will too.

Yeah I remember Kadri was on his butt half the game. Marner looks a lot stronger come to think of it.:laugh:

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
Hyman. It feels really common place for him to go in the corner or along the boards after the puck and fall over.

Probably a lot less common than I think. But when it comes to Leafs that fall over often he comes to mind before Marner.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Clarkson tried to use his butt cheeks to skate as much as he used his feet!

Marner will bulk up and get steadier on his skates.

Reactions: TroyTooSlick

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Hyman. It feels really common place for him to go in the corner or along the boards after the puck and fall over.

Probably a lot less common than I think. But when it comes to Leafs that fall over often he comes to mind before Marner.
Don't think Hyman deserves to get mentioned here. He only gets knocked down because he's totally relentless battling for the puck, he'll go in recklessly even when he doesn't have good body position/balance, just to start initiating contact to throw the other guy off. It often works, he wins tonnes of puck battles that he has no business winning, simply by throwing himself into them. He's arguably #1 on the team in terms of ability to win battles, he just puts himself in compromising situations where he's prone to getting knocked off his feet because he hustles so hard, and battles like crazy whenever the puck is remotely close to him.

Marner is different, he DOES get knocked down because he's skinnier than the opposition, he gets straight up outmuscled constantly. Again, though, I'm not worried. It's a very common issue for skilled, skinny youngsters, and almost all of them make big strides in that area as they age. His high skill game means he doesn't need a tonne of power, he just needs to get to mediocre NHL strength for it to be a complete non-issue, and I'm very confident he'll get there by his ~mid 20s.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad