Question for Refs

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
As a player, that's not for you to decide.

Yes, it's not for me to officially decide but everyone is going to draw up their own assumptions on a biased referee whether someone likes it or not, especially one who lets a checking from behind go in a non-contact league. There is no way I will get smoked, have the ref see it or least hear it without a doubt, struggle to breathe, have no call and then think - "Ouch, but wait, I am totally impartial to judging whether or not that is a good or bad referee. I feel neither negative or positive feelings towards him, only the love of this game." You can't stop players thinking what they want to even if it isn't their place to decide. If you disagree with their thoughts, fine, but they are still going to think them regardless.

Whoever told the referee to meet him in the parking lot is at fault. No questions asked.

If I got threatened in the parking lot, I would leave the game too. I wouldn't give a rats *** who is playing. Uttering threats, of a severe nature, is another thing that as a rec league ref, I wouldn't hesitate to have the cops lay on a player.

Fair enough, but I guess my main thinking was why let one idiot spoil it for the other 29? I'd like to think if I were a ref, I would finish the game, and then if the guy isn't all talk, I'm sure my linesmen and other players would help me out. I think involving the police on a verbal threat is a bit over the top though. Of course I've never reffed a game so perhaps I would just do what you said you would.

By the way I've been seriously thinking about taking up reffing when I get back to Hong Kong. I think it would be cool to see the game from a different perspective. Any tips?

Gino 14

Aug 23, 2006
First thing to remember is that as much as you would like to believe the ref sees every penalty that occurs to you, they don't. There are times when I've seen what appears to be the end result of a penalty, but can't in good conscience call it because I didn't see the actual infraction. Things aren't always as they seem.

As for having a player threaten me during a game, I'd have him removed from the game and would more likely than not get the cops involved. The idea of depending on anyone else to help out is stupid, it can make matters much worse, and, it can make you legally liable.

It's real easy to condemn the refs until you actually are on the other side then it's a whole new ballgame.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
Well I play today so we'll see how I do.

I'm not trying to rag on all refs, both of my brothers ref hockey and one of them does Jr A. so I know its a tough job.

Every other ref I've had has been at least fair, but like I said, we'll see what happens today.

vexXed

Oct 23, 2005
Hong Kong
First thing to remember is that as much as you would like to believe the ref sees every penalty that occurs to you, they don't. There are times when I've seen what appears to be the end result of a penalty, but can't in good conscience call it because I didn't see the actual infraction. Things aren't always as they seem.

As for having a player threaten me during a game, I'd have him removed from the game and would more likely than not get the cops involved. The idea of depending on anyone else to help out is stupid, it can make matters much worse, and, it can make you legally liable.

It's real easy to condemn the refs until you actually are on the other side then it's a whole new ballgame.

Sure the ref isn't going to see everything, it's hard to see all the little cheap shots behind the play and all but when he doesn't call an obviously dangerous hit in full view of everyone, then he is neglecting his duty as an official. This holds especially true if he didn't call it based on his dislike for our teams mere existence.

If the player threatened you in the game and you had him removed would you still ref the game untill the end result? Or would you leave? Heh, when I said I would ask my linesmen and other players to 'help me out', I didn't mean with their fists... I would have us restrain him / talk to him and calm him down, or get the other team to just tell him it's just not worth it and if he is that pissed then he can lodge an official complaint. If no amount of reasoning works and the guy is hell bent on displaying my head on his mantlepiece then sure, I'd call the cops. I'd like to think I would try and see if he was serious about the threat before involving the police.

trueblueinboston

Mar 19, 2006
Boston
You also gotta remember that you're not in the NHL. Neither are the refs.

In your situation, where you are obviously much better than the competition, you are never going to get the benifit of the doubt. ESPECIALLY in a beginner's league. Not to say that you are sandbagging, or your reasons for playing are not valid, but I would suggest not taking over the show. When I play a level or 2 down, I always sit back and play D, and not pull anything fancy over 40 year olds who are just strapping on skates for the first time. It doesn't benifit me, or anyone else to score 8 goals on a goalie who just started! When I ref these games and go back and look at the calls I made, they're always on the better skaters. I don't set out to do that...hell, I can't even remember specific penalties from game to game...but that's just kinda how it goes.

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
You also gotta remember that you're not in the NHL. Neither are the refs.

In your situation, where you are obviously much better than the competition, you are never going to get the benifit of the doubt. ESPECIALLY in a beginner's league. Not to say that you are sandbagging, or your reasons for playing are not valid, but I would suggest not taking over the show. When I play a level or 2 down, I always sit back and play D, and not pull anything fancy over 40 year olds who are just strapping on skates for the first time. It doesn't benifit me, or anyone else to score 8 goals on a goalie who just started! When I ref these games and go back and look at the calls I made, they're always on the better skaters. I don't set out to do that...hell, I can't even remember specific penalties from game to game...but that's just kinda how it goes.

Well I am a forward, always have been and in this league I'm playing D. And technically under their rules I am a beginner. This is my second full year of playing (I played a year in another city and then I had just strapped on my skates) hockey.

I don't care what calls he makes on our team, Im just sick of getting manhandled by teams that are WAY better than our team (last year they were a tier 1 team but dropped to this league because of lower fees). There is one girl besides me that can keep up to that team, other than that we lose about 10-0. They lean on us, take liberties with our goalie and weaker players and when I even get NEAR one of them I get called.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad