Question for my fellow Kings fans

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Lol, yeah. It was a really cool experience. My dad actually went by his house on a jetski and saw him on the porch. He, of course, called up to him because my dad has no fear and Jeff was nice enough to talk to him and invited me over. I don't want to hear anymore ******** about how he's not good to fans. Definitely the best experience I've had with an athlete.

Hopefully, one of these days I'll be able to get out to LA so I can give Quick his painting too.

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lol, yeah. It was a really cool experience. My dad actually went by his house on a jetski and saw him on the porch. He, of course, called up to him because my dad has no fear and Jeff was nice enough to talk to him and invited me over. I don't want to hear anymore ******** about how he's not good to fans. Definitely the best experience I've had with an athlete.

Hopefully, one of these days I'll be able to get out to LA so I can give Quick his painting too.

That's amazing! Congatulations. Great work. I painted a bit years ago and water colors are very tough. That is cool about what your dad did
and that you got to meet Jeff.

I own The Space Store and I ask astronauts from time to time va email, if they would sign their books for our store. (I mention I would pay a signing fee) They typically do not respond.
You have to meet them in person, or know someone who knows them.

I sell some of Astronaut Story Musgrave's books and photos, via his son and he came by my store 2 years ago and signed everything.
That's been 2 years this month....was amazing to meet the only astronaut to fly on all 5 space shuttles (he flew on Challenger and Columbia before their disasters) and did several space walks, including repairing the Hubble Telescope in space.

Anyway, 10 minutes ago he connected with me on LinkedIn and then
emailed me, about coming out again and signing his books. He does
not charge me a cent and is very gracious and amazing.

It's too bad that a few bad experiences you hear about athletes and celebrities are the one's publicized the most...most of them are very giving of their time. In 95, i was at the Kings training camp, first day
and got there at 7:30 AM. (when it was the ice complex Luc owned)
I had my copy of The Hockey News (remember, internet was just starting then and I still had the newspaper) and wearing a Kings cap.
Gretzky was sitting two table away, in the center ice cafe. He looked at me and said "can I see your news?". I said "sure, can you sign my hat?" He said yes. He then signed my hat and thumbed through the newspaper in about 2 minutes...I then had a short conversation with him and he was very genuinely friendly. I later thought Wayne was looking to see where they placed his ads. He always had an ad in there, it seemed.

Keep up the great work!

Last edited:

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
That's amazing! Congatulations. Great work. I painted a bit years ago and water colors are very tough. That is cool about what your dad did
and that you got to meet Jeff.

I own The Space Store and I ask astronauts from time to time va email, if they would sign their books for our store. (I mention I would pay a signing fee) They typically do not respond.
You have to meet them in person, or know someone who knows them.

I sell some of Astronaut Story Musgrave's books and photos, via his son and he came by my store 2 years ago and signed everything.
That's been 2 years this month....was amazing to meet the only astronaut to fly on all 5 space shuttles (he flew on Challenger and Columbia before their disasters) and did several space walks, including repairing the Hubble Telescope in space.

Anyway, 10 minutes ago he connected with me on LinkedIn and then
emailed me, about coming out again and signing his books.

It's too bad that a few bad experiences you hear about athletes and celebrities are the one's publicized the most...most of them are very giving of their time. In 95, i was at the Kings training camp, first day
and got there at 7:30 AM. (when it was the ice complex Luc owned)
I had my copy of The Hockey News (remember, internet was just starting then and I still had the newspaper) and wearing a Kings cap.
Gretzky was sitting two table away, in the center ice cafe. He looked at me and said "can I see your news?". I said "sure, can you sign my hat?" He said yes. He then signed my hat and thumbed through the newspaper in about 2 minutes...I then had a short conversation with him and he was very genuinely friendly. I later thought Wayne was looking to see where they placed his ads. He always had an ad in there, it seemed.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! Watercolors have always been my personal choice. I loved to do portraits and I was able to get a very good instructor in college. After that, I started painting what I loved which was sports.

And I know what you mean about meeting these guys. First, there's the problem of getting past all the PR people and other stuff. Since I do a lot of baseball paintings, I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend who knew someone in the Phillies organization so I was able to give them my stuff that way.

But once you get in there, most of them are awesome. It always ticks me off when 'fans' ambush these guys for autographs they can sell on ebay and then they get mad when a celebrity brushes them off. And they can have bad days too. I mean these stories about Richards jumping the barrier to avoid fans or Carter not sticking around to sign autographs are one time out of the hundreds of times they get asked. Suddenly, they're known as stuckup jackasses that hate all fans. It's ridiculous.

I really hope the Kings get a game in Philly this year. Maybe I could give Quick the painting then. If not, I guess I can start saving up to go to LA :laugh:

Captain Mittens*

Thanks! Watercolors have always been my personal choice. I loved to do portraits and I was able to get a very good instructor in college. After that, I started painting what I loved which was sports.

And I know what you mean about meeting these guys. First, there's the problem of getting past all the PR people and other stuff. Since I do a lot of baseball paintings, I was lucky enough to have a friend of a friend who knew someone in the Phillies organization so I was able to give them my stuff that way.

But once you get in there, most of them are awesome. It always ticks me off when 'fans' ambush these guys for autographs they can sell on ebay and then they get mad when a celebrity brushes them off. And they can have bad days too. I mean these stories about Richards jumping the barrier to avoid fans or Carter not sticking around to sign autographs are one time out of the hundreds of times they get asked. Suddenly, they're known as stuckup jackasses that hate all fans. It's ridiculous.

I really hope the Kings get a game in Philly this year. Maybe I could give Quick the painting then. If not, I guess I can start saving up to go to LA :laugh:

146194747_extra_large.jpg

Peter James Bond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

A good portion of the public think athletes owe the fans...but sometimes the expectations are unreasonable. Years ago, I took my son to Kings training camp and we stood outside Toyota Ctr afterwards and most all of the players stopped and signed things for the fans. My son had a Dustin Brown jersey on and his hockey card. He held out the card and Dustin signed it. He was then looking at the card and Dustin just went ahead and signed his jersey too. I thought that was cool, that he signed both. I also get it that players often will say they will only sign 1 item and that's fine. I recall (nameless here) another player walking briskly by and saying when asked to sign something "sorry, I have to be somewhere" (or something like that) and a fan said something derogatory. Hey, they have lives and they have appointments and other responsibilities as well.

I hear from space fans all the time complain that Neil Armstrong stopped signing things in 1995. So what? He graciously signed things for 3 frigging decades! He and his office assistant kept a file of all the letters he received and that he signed for. When he began getting additional letters from people he already signed for, he wouldn't sign for them again. And then when the internet started and people started selling his autographs, he stopped signing. Can anyone imagine being stopped in your daily life for 30 years, in which people
ask you to sign something? You then see people selling your autograph to make money and then stop doing it and the world then hates you for that.

I think you should paint the Quick / Doughty photo. That is epic!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
I'm a shy and private person to begin with so I can't even imagine what it would be like to be chased by people every day. The last time I saw Chase Utley, someone would not stop heckling him and cursing at him while he was on the field during spring training cause he wouldn't come over to sign autographs. Then people have the nerve to say that he's mean and ugly to fans. He's actually probably the nicest guy on the team. Just be nice to them, they are human beings after all.

It's sad that Armstrong stopped signing but people blew it by trying to exploit him for money. I always thought autographs were about having a memory of the experience or having a special collectable from someone you admire. Without that it's just a signature.

And I don't know why I can't see this painting anymore but...

quickkl.jpg

If I ever do a painting of Doughty I'll probably use that picture. I like to use a collage of different pictures instead of just one.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Thanks! Im vacationing in Sea Isle City so I gave it to Carter tonight. He and his girlfriend were the nicest people. I'm very happy right now :D

Very nice paintings and I'm so glad you had a good experience with him!

jml87

Jun 27, 2011
Bottom left picture - "Drew Doughty. Magic!"

Glad you can recognize it. I always try to pick the defining moments/photos for the smaller pictures.

And thanks for everyone's complements too. It always makes me feel good that people like them after all the effort I put into them.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Glad you can recognize it. I always try to pick the defining moments/photos for the smaller pictures.

And thanks for everyone's complements too. It always makes me feel good that people like them after all the effort I put into them.

I'm so happy you recognized my reference too! I make subtle ones all the time and no one catches them. It means a lot. :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad