question for goalies: velocity vs. summit

brody30*

Im looking to get new pads and Im interested in both the velocities and the summits. These pads should last the rest of my life so I want to make the right choice. I havent started looking seriously yet, so I dont really have an idea about which one I want. Could someone tell me the advantages of each pad and which ones you prefer.

Also, on a side note, I was wondering if either pads could be customly ordered so that they are all white with a blue trim (on the knee rolls, etc.) If you are unsure what Im talking about, think of kiprusoffs old Heaton 10s (white with red trim). I visited the vaughn and tps websites and tried to design the pad like that but was unable to. Thanks for the help.

aerialis

Oct 7, 2005
toronto & pittsburgh
don't know alot about the summits, but the velos are the original box pad, so you're getting a pad with little lateral flex but good rotation..
perhaps some of the other guys can talk more indepth about the two, i personally haven't taken the summits out for a demo

you should be able to get the pads how you like them if you go through a rep, ask your lhs who their guys are, (or they might have order forms) plus you can get more than just custom colours (higher thigh rises and the like)

Hounsy

Dec 28, 2003
A wonderful location
Visit site
I have not looked at Summits in person so not sure what the differences are but If your serious about Velo's take a look at Smith's. He played a significant role in creating the Velo pad and is great to deal with and only builds custom, but if you'd rather spend more money that is completely your own business.;)

http://smithhockey.com/

kold

Mar 31, 2004
Edmonton
The velo is probably one of the more flexible both pads, even torsionally. That being said, the velocity and the summit are similarly designed, so I would recommend trying both on to see which one suits your style and comfort more. I'm not sure how easy it is to get TPS stuff custom, but you can get your velocity's to your specifications through your retailer. This includes colors, sizing, and a lot of commonly asked for mods.

Bottom line - go try them on!

VisionQuest*

I have not looked at Summits in person so not sure what the differences are but If your serious about Velo's take a look at Smith's. He played a significant role in creating the Velo pad and is great to deal with and only builds custom, but if you'd rather spend more money that is completely your own business.;)

http://smithhockey.com/

I've got Smiths! They rule.

brody30*

thanks for the help. im still cant decide though. any additional info would be great.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad