question about toads

mmalady

Jan 31, 2013
minden, ontario
hi all, not sure if any of you science people can help with my strange question but hoping for an answer once and for all...i keep finding large toads on my deck which is 6 feet high and 6 steps up from the ground..so do they hop or climb...they seem so cumbersome..with prodding i only made him hop maybe 3 inches horizontally never vertically..and i have watched him clumbsily crawl over a small log i put in his way...so i just cant figure out how he manages those stairs...i know it seems like a weird question but one im obsessed with finding the answer for...and yes its definitely a toad not a frog...thanks for any insight you can offer

One Blurred Eye

Prefer the future.
Sep 27, 2014
Last summer we had a toad that managed to make a home in a flower planter that was maybe a two and a half foot vertical climb to get into. It was a bit troublesome at the end of season, I didn't want him to freeze when winter came, and I didn't want to blow up his nice crib so I did my best to transfer the soil whole (with Mr. Toad as well) into our yard refuse area, covered it with leaves and such. I think the same toad is now living under an oak tree near the house, so hopefully my effort was not in vain. Anyway, they're capable climbers as far as I can tell, they can stretch out pretty far on their hind legs to reach up when they need to and can jump a mile when properly motivated, so not so surprising, especially if your deck has a nice selection of bugs to eat, to make it worth the extra effort. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad