Question about Pat Lafontaine

Beauty eh?

Not sure if serious.
Dec 20, 2004
Southern California
Is he the only player in NHL history to play for the Islanders, Rangers and the Sabres? Kind of cool that he spent his entire career in the state of NY.

EDIT - whoops, meant to post this in the history of hockey board. Mods, feel free to move it :)

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Is he the only player in NHL history to play for the Islanders, Rangers and the Sabres? Kind of cool that he spent his entire career in the state of NY....EDIT - whoops, meant to post this in the history of hockey board. Mods, feel free to move it :)

Yepp. Wrong section. Amazing player. Scored 175G & had 149A playing for Detroit Compuware in minor hockey one yr; 104G & 103 assists one year with Verdun in the QMJHL. Islanders, Rangers & Sabers. :)

MayDay

Oct 21, 2005
Pleasantville, NY
Is he the only player in NHL history to play for the Islanders, Rangers and the Sabres? Kind of cool that he spent his entire career in the state of NY.

EDIT - whoops, meant to post this in the history of hockey board. Mods, feel free to move it :)

There have been several others to play for all three NY State teams.

LaFontaine might have been the only player to play for only those three teams in his career, though. That I'm not sure about.

Biron also played in Philly, Dawe also played for the Habs, etc.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
According to LaFontaine's wikipedia page, the only other ones are Biron, Dawe and Mike Donnelly. LaFontaine was the only one to play for just those three teams and no other.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
If Biron plays for the Devils, he will have played for Buffalo, Isles, Rangers, Devils and Philadelphia Flyers, that'd be quite the career...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
How can you forget about a guy who had three straight 20 goal seasons and then just 6 goals after that?

Yeah, Dawe is one of the most incredible losses in ability ever.

At age 25, when he was traded away from Buffalo, he was finishing up his 3rd straight 20-goal, 40-50 point season.

At age 26, he scored 6 goals in 59 games and never scored another NHL goal after that.

At age 27, he was a 40-point player in the AHL.

At age 30, he scored 1 point in 15 games in the SM-Liiga in Finland.

At age 31, he was in the ECHL, and a middling ECHL player at that - 30 points in 50 games, not even close to being one of the best players on his team.

Then he retires as he's turning 32.

This was a guy who'd been a massive scoring star in the OHL, star for Canada at the WJCs, scored 49 goals in 92 games in the AHL at age 20-21 to make the NHL. Then just completely fell to pieces.

Other guys have 'lost it' (Kyle Calder, Derek Plante spring to mind) but I can't think of any other established NHL players who fell so far, to the point where they couldn't even stand out in the ECHL when they should have still been in the prime years of their careers.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
At the time I was shocked that they traded Dawe away for such a low return; but considering how his career went, Reiger must've known that something was wrong with him.

Franck

eltiT resU motsuC
Jan 5, 2010
Gothenburg
Yeah, Dawe is one of the most incredible losses in ability ever.

At age 25, when he was traded away from Buffalo, he was finishing up his 3rd straight 20-goal, 40-50 point season.

At age 26, he scored 6 goals in 59 games and never scored another NHL goal after that.

At age 27, he was a 40-point player in the AHL.

At age 30, he scored 1 point in 15 games in the SM-Liiga in Finland.

At age 31, he was in the ECHL, and a middling ECHL player at that - 30 points in 50 games, not even close to being one of the best players on his team.

Then he retires as he's turning 32.

This was a guy who'd been a massive scoring star in the OHL, star for Canada at the WJCs, scored 49 goals in 92 games in the AHL at age 20-21 to make the NHL. Then just completely fell to pieces.

Other guys have 'lost it' (Kyle Calder, Derek Plante spring to mind) but I can't think of any other established NHL players who fell so far, to the point where they couldn't even stand out in the ECHL when they should have still been in the prime years of their careers.

I'd honestly love to know what could cause such a dramatic drop, but I realise that all that I could ever get would be very loose speculation at best.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Yepp. Wrong section. Amazing player. Scored 175G & had 149A playing for Detroit Compuware in minor hockey one yr; 104G & 103 assists one year with Verdun in the QMJHL. Islanders, Rangers & Sabres. :)

his numbers that one season in the Q was absolutely astonishing, especially considering an American kid having to adjust to a French speaking (majority) league is amazing...

I still think that the movie Youngblood is very much based on Pat Lafontaine and his amazing young career....American kid heads up to Canada at 17 with such an amazing skill set and the actor Rob Lowe even looks like Patty a bit!!

Either way I miss Pat Lafontaine, a true gentleman and imo, the greatest American player ever who sadly had his career cut short due to head injuries.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
I'd honestly love to know what could cause such a dramatic drop, but I realise that all that I could ever get would be very loose speculation at best.

Change of scenery is all I can think about. Honestly, I never thought he was very good in the first place

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad