Speculation: Question about offer sheet.

2-4 Slashin

Tony Granato Fan!
Jul 25, 2005
South Pasadena
If a team really wanted to screw with the club of a player receiving an offer sheet, could they include a No Trade Clause in said offer sheet? So that if the receiving club matches the offer sheet they’d be stuck with the player for the life of the offer sheet? And if so.. do you think the league would allow it?

Reactions: MFSUPERVILL4IN

Fastasaurus

Nov 15, 2010
Saskatoon,Sask
I think you can include it on the deal but I don't know if they have to honor it. I think when Philly offersheeted Weber, Nashville didn't honor it but I'm not 100%.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I think you can include it on the deal but I don't know if they have to honor it. I think when Philly offersheeted Weber, Nashville didn't honor it but I'm not 100%.
The original team does not have to honour any ntc conditions.

The only ntc is that the original team if they match is not able to trade the player for 1 full year.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I thought there were restrictions on the no move clauses you could offer to RFAs?

Haven’t their been a number of guys who signed RFA deals and got traded because their NMC hadn’t kicked in yet

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
If a team really wanted to screw with the club of a player receiving an offer sheet, could they include a No Trade Clause in said offer sheet? So that if the receiving club matches the offer sheet they’d be stuck with the player for the life of the offer sheet? And if so.. do you think the league would allow it?
I could be wrong but I don’t think RFA’s can get no trade clauses in their contracts?

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I do not believe you can include a NTC/NMC.

Which is why Shea Weber is a Montreal Canadien. He couldn't stop it.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017

I kind of doubt you are going to find many players signing offer sheets that "screw with the club". Almost all offer sheets ever signed have been matched. I think that a player is going to know that going in and screwing the club has about a 95% chance of screwing the player one way or another unless they only care about money and I don't believe there are too many athletes that only care about money.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
When choosing to match an offer sheet you are only required to match monetary terms. Additional clauses are the teams option. The offer sheet Weber signed had an included NTC Nashville just decided not to include it when they matched because they didn't have to. had they not matched he would have had one in Philly.

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
If the offer sheet is matched (formally: if the Prior Club exercises its Right of First Refusal), the contract will only include the "Principal Terms" of the offer sheet, which are Term, Paragraph 1 Salary, Signing Bonus, and Reporting Bonus. However, the matching team can choose to negotiate additional terms which go beyond the principal terms, which could include trade restrictions -- this is the team's choice, though. The matching team can't trade the player for one year after matching.

Reference: CBA 10.3 (b), 10.3 (e)

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I could be wrong but I don’t think RFA’s can get no trade clauses in their contracts?

Not sure if thats true or not, but you can definitely offer NTCs on a RFA contract for when they would technically be a UFA (if their contract wasnt there).

For example, Landeskog signed a 7 year contract after his ELC and has a NTC clause kick in this coming season (first year he would be a UFA, due to 7 seasons played, if he wasnt signed through the next 3 years).

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I kind of doubt you are going to find many players signing offer sheets that "screw with the club". Almost all offer sheets ever signed have been matched. I think that a player is going to know that going in and screwing the club has about a 95% chance of screwing the player one way or another unless they only care about money and I don't believe there are too many athletes that only care about money.

For the rare time an offersheet occurs, the best way for it to work is to "screw the other team". Not because you want to screw over another GM,but because you dont want them to match it.

For example, Weber contract was high $ early on to try and force Nashville to give him away due to internal budgets and there was an offersheet from CGY to COL where they gave ROR a short term (2 year) contract because it upped his Qualifying offer to an insane number in the second year meaning there would be a good chance he would take that qualifying offer (it was like 7m I think) and become a UFA the following year I believe.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I don't think Weber's contract ever had a NTC. PK's did, which Nashville voided, since it didn't kick in yet.

As for the op....the team doing the offersheet has to skirt a very fine line to screw the other team with a truly untradeable offersheet contract, otherwise they will be the one ending up with it, if its not matched.

They'd have to guesstimate how high they can go where the other team will still accept, but no other team would logically trade for it without extenuating circumctances arriving afterwards.

Last edited:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Not sure if it's a matter that you "can't include" one, but that Philly didn't include one.

By all accounts Philly did include a NTC in the Offer Sheet. Nashville just elected not to include a NTC when matching the Offer Sheet as is their right.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
RFAs cant get NNC or NTC until they hit 8th pro season.

If you sign a 4 tr rfa it can’t take effect till 3rd yr of the contract.

Even if it’s in the offer sheet contract, club matches, then trades him, the new team does not have to honor that.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
For the rare time an offersheet occurs, the best way for it to work is to "screw the other team". Not because you want to screw over another GM,but because you dont want them to match it.

For example, Weber contract was high $ early on to try and force Nashville to give him away due to internal budgets and there was an offersheet from CGY to COL where they gave ROR a short term (2 year) contract because it upped his Qualifying offer to an insane number in the second year meaning there would be a good chance he would take that qualifying offer (it was like 7m I think) and become a UFA the following year I believe.

I don't exactly agree. Almost all of the time the team matches no matter what so they are screwing themselves. It's one thing to get paid more, it's another thing to structure a contract that sticks it to the other team. They are going to match it most of the time, the best use of an offer sheet is for a player to get the contract he wants from his team. That is the most effective way to use an offer sheet.

Any player like Weber at the height of his career is going to have the offer sheet matched and he ended up making life just a little harder for his team. He wanted to leave and play for the Flyers, I think a better way to do that is to say that you want to be traded to the Flyers and that you won't sign.

Offer sheets get matched. Unless a team is just paying too much for a borderline player, they always get matched.

I'm not saying that people don't try to do things your way, I am saying that it flat out doesn't work and it screws over the player's team and the player.

Reactions: Community

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
I don't exactly agree. Almost all of the time the team matches no matter what so they are screwing themselves. It's one thing to get paid more, it's another thing to structure a contract that sticks it to the other team. They are going to match it most of the time, the best use of an offer sheet is for a player to get the contract he wants from his team. That is the most effective way to use an offer sheet.

Any player like Weber at the height of his career is going to have the offer sheet matched and he ended up making life just a little harder for his team. He wanted to leave and play for the Flyers, I think a better way to do that is to say that you want to be traded to the Flyers and that you won't sign.

Offer sheets get matched. Unless a team is just paying too much for a borderline player, they always get matched.

I'm not saying that people don't try to do things your way, I am saying that it flat out doesn't work and it screws over the player's team and the player.

I agree. All I meant is that it ends up screwing over the players team because other GMs are trying to force the offersheet players team to let them go.

Best use of the offersheet for the player is to get marketvalue (or better) because their team will almost always match it as you said. This is what offersheets end ip being, a tool to keep rfas from being extremely underpaid.

Reactions: WJCJ

Noldo

May 28, 2007
Weber signed the Offer Sheet because he wanted the eternal low cap hit contract before they were disallowed with the next CBA. Nashville did not want to offer one (because they suspected that there would be limitations in the future?) so Weber’s agent sought a team willing to offer one. Remember that the League was heading towards the lockout when the offer happened.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
as others have said RFA do not have a right to those clauses so it would only apply to the UFA years of the contract. So I guess a player like Mark Stone or Jacob Trouba you could potentially add them to do what you stated in the OP but really if they are willing to leave via an offersheet but it gets matched do you think they will refuse to waive the clause for a trade?

Draft Dynasty

Oct 28, 2014
Can you make multiple offer sheet to the same team. Like offer sheet Elias lindholm if they match you make another offer to Hanifin ?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Can you make multiple offer sheet to the same team. Like offer sheet Elias lindholm if they match you make another offer to Hanifin ?

You could, they just couldn't be concurrent due to the compensation issue. Calgary could take up to a week to decide on the first one as well.

The stars have to align for an offer sheet to make sense, nevermind two.

Reactions: north49er

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Just a comment. I've found all of this info. you guys/girls are giving on this offer sheet stuff to be very informative. Thanks.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
They discussed offer sheets and especially the Weber one on nhl radio like 2 hours ago. Host said Philly made a mistake by not including such a clause. Made Nsh decision to match easier. But host also discussed how he met Bylsma in Rome on the day of the offer sheet and coach said Nsh would match even though he didnt have all the specifics.

Show pointed out to Wpg goalie and TML Nylander as prime targets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad