OT: Question about EI (Employment insurance)

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hello.

I have a slight dilemma on my hands. I have been employed at a company I really enjoy for nearly 2 years. Unfortunately, work was slow from mid December to late January last year. This year, work has been slower than at any point in years in my industry. I have only worked roughly 20 days in 4 months. My last job was a 9 day stint outside my city in mid February. My last day working was Feb. 23.

I am technically still employed, but my manager said that work may not pick up unitl late April. Meanwhile, I have been living off my credit card for the past month. Considering I havent' worked in 6 weeks, and ahve barely worked at all since early December, would I be eligable for EI benefits, or would I have to ask my employer for a temporary layoff?

I can't seem to find this answer, so I went and applied at any rate today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
Yes. You are eligible.

No, you don't need to req a lay off.

If you are scheduled to work very little, EI will pro-rate your EI payment (top you up) to your EI max.

Next time apply earlier. Within three weeks. Hopefully they backdated a bit of your first pay. (Prob will a week, maybe two)

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Hello.

I have a slight dilemma on my hands. I have been employed at a company I really enjoy for nearly 2 years. Unfortunately, work was slow from mid December to late January last year. This year, work has been slower than at any point in years in my industry. I have only worked roughly 20 days in 4 months. My last job was a 9 day stint outside my city in mid February. My last day working was Feb. 23.

I am technically still employed, but my manager said that work may not pick up unitl late April. Meanwhile, I have been living off my credit card for the past month. Considering I havent' worked in 6 weeks, and ahve barely worked at all since early December, would I be eligable for EI benefits, or would I have to ask my employer for a temporary layoff?

I can't seem to find this answer, so I went and applied at any rate today. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
You absolutely have to have something from your employer saying you are laid off or let go to collect. Friend of mine lost his job and was on unemployment for 1 month and went and tried a new job but didn't like it and quit and now has been fighting to get unemployment but because he quit they now don't want to pay him unemployment. He's fighting it but it's been over a month with no money. So if you are collecting unemployment you better not try out something new and find out you don't like it and quit because then you can't collect anymore, just a stupid system.

Reactions: Jets4Life

WaveRaven

Apr 30, 2011
MB
You need a layoff notice. Ask you're employer.

As far as not being eligible when you quit you can blame the Conservative party for that one. It used to be a 6 week waiting period of you quit. Now thats quite a hit but better than the current system.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
You need a layoff notice. Ask you're employer.

As far as not being eligible when you quit you can blame the Conservative party for that one. It used to be a 6 week waiting period of you quit. Now thats quite a hit but better than the current system.
Honestly with the current system it's almost like they don't want you to try something new and get a job until your unemployment is going to run out. My buddy had never collected unemployment before, first time after 30 years of working and paying into unemployment insurance and should be able to collect until August, very frustrating.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would refer to the guidelines outlined on the government website:

I tried this website. Unfortunately, it says nothing about having a job where one goes nearly 2 months without work. What I suspect from research, is i may ahve to ask my employer for a temporary layoff, just so I can be paid retrospect to after February 23.

The frustrating thing about my job, is hours are usually plenty for nearly 10 months, but it's an erratic schedule at times, and I do not know ahead of time when I will be not working for long periods of time. If I had known that I would be sitting for 2 months, I would have just worked at a temp job until work resumed, considering how much I hate sitting around.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yes. You are eligible.

No, you don't need to req a lay off.

If you are scheduled to work very little, EI will pro-rate your EI payment (top you up) to your EI max.

Next time apply earlier. Within three weeks. Hopefully they backdated a bit of your first pay. (Prob will a week, maybe two)

I am not certain that is correct in my situation.

Are you referring to people on EI who find part time work, after their benefits kick in? They are eligible to work 20 hours/week. After that, any extra pay they receive, is deducted from their EI earnings. IN my case, if I were to be called back at the end of the month, I would resume my regular work schedule (100 hours every two weeks), so there is no need to collect EI once that occurs.

Last edited:

razorsedge

Oct 19, 2006
Hello.

I'm in the exact same boat. I claimed EI while still being technically employed. You can even claim EI to top up your wage if you're only working a couple days a week. I've gone off and on it since December.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
You absolutely have to have something from your employer saying you are laid off or let go to collect. Friend of mine lost his job and was on unemployment for 1 month and went and tried a new job but didn't like it and quit and now has been fighting to get unemployment but because he quit they now don't want to pay him unemployment. He's fighting it but it's been over a month with no money. So if you are collecting unemployment you better not try out something new and find out you don't like it and quit because then you can't collect anymore, just a stupid system.

Nothing stupid about it. You quit your job, you are not eligible. The rest of your friend's story is irrelevant. He found a job. No longer eligible for EI. He quit that job. Not eligible. The only way to get around that is if you quit for acceptable cause, like abuse by the employer.

Reactions: Nona Di Giuseppe

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I'm afraid I don't have any additional information to offer, so I can't be of much help.

Maybe if you call the EI number and speak with an agent? If you do, be sure to call as soon as they open; when I was laid off, you had to call early just to get in the queue. Otherwise, you can't get through that day.

Be prepared for a long wait also. I think I had to wait for over an hour when I called first thing in the morning.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
I tried this website. Unfortunately, it says nothing about having a job where one goes nearly 2 months without work. What I suspect from research, is i may ahve to ask my employer for a temporary layoff, just so I can be paid retrospect to after February 23.

The frustrating thing about my job, is hours are usually plenty for nearly 10 months, but it's an erratic schedule at times, and I do not know ahead of time when I will be not working for long periods of time. If I had known that I would be sitting for 2 months, I would have just worked at a temp job until work resumed, considering how much I hate sitting around.

Eligibility criteria​

To receive EI Regular benefits, you need to demonstrate that you:

• were employed in insurable employment
  • lost your job through no fault of your own
  • have been without work and without pay for at least 7 consecutive days in the last 52 weeks
  • have worked for the required number of insurable employment hours in the last 52 weeks or since the start of your last EI claim, whichever is shorter
  • are ready, willing and capable of working each day
  • are actively looking for work (you must keep a written record of

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Nothing stupid about it. You quit your job, you are not eligible. The rest of your friend's story is irrelevant. He found a job. No longer eligible for EI. He quit that job. Not eligible. The only way to get around that is if you quit for acceptable cause, like abuse by the employer.
You better be sure you will like your new job or how they run their company because you can't quit and get EI again. It's a pretty stupid system if you ask me .

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam

this is false.

you provide a company name and phone number. that's it.

your friend quit a job. not very stupid system if ppl can quit n collect

Reactions: hockeyarena

Nona Di Giuseppe

Jul 14, 2009
Coquitlam
That is not correct in my situation.

I beleve you are referring to people on EI who find part time work, after their benefits kick in. They are eligible to work 20 hours/week. After that, any extra pay they receive, is deducted from their EI earnings. IN my case, if I were to be called back at the end of the month, I would resume my regular work schedule (100 hours every two weeks), so there is no need to collect EI once that occurs.

no. im not.

i just pointed out you don't have to be entirely "laid off".

Even just reducing hours below x threshold qualifies you.

You better be sure you will like your new job or how they run their company because you can't quit and get EI again. It's a pretty stupid system if you ask me .

it's infinitely more stupid if ppl could quit their jobs and get EI. i don't think u understand it's purpose.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation. I'm afraid I don't have any additional information to offer, so I can't be of much help.

Maybe if you call the EI number and speak with an agent? If you do, be sure to call as soon as they open; when I was laid off, you had to call early just to get in the queue. Otherwise, you can't get through that day.

Be prepared for a long wait also. I think I had to wait for over an hour when I called first thing in the morning.
Tell me about it lol. This morning I went to Service Canada at 9 AM. There were at least 100 people lined up outside. My guess is it can be a direct result of the record number of non-Canadians we admitted in 2022. Canada grew by 1.050,000 last year, nearly doubling the old record. My take on it, is many of the new Canadians are applying for Government ID, and looking inot programs that will integrate them into their new home.

In all seriousness, thank you to all. It's not easy to admit one is struggling, but being on this forum for 20 years, I realise aside from being passionate hockey fans, and at times wanting to choke each other out lol, the vast majority of you are good people. Cheers to you all! :cheers:

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

How is that stupid? It is a system designed to protect you from something beyond your control and not your fault. It is like fire insurance on your house. Would you expect coverage if you decided you didn't like your house so you burned it to the ground?

If you don't like your job look for another one. Do not quit your current job until you have found its replacement.

Jetsfan79

Jul 12, 2011
Winnipeg, MB
How is that stupid? It is a system designed to protect you from something beyond your control and not your fault. It is like fire insurance on your house. Would you expect coverage if you decided you didn't like your house so you burned it to the ground?

If you don't like your job look for another one. Do not quit your current job until you have found its replacement.
or stick with the Job you don't like and make them fire you without any tangible ammunition for getting fired with cause.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
or stick with the Job you don't like and make them fire you without any tangible ammunition for getting fired with cause.

Sure - but I'm assuming a little more ambition than maneuvring for EI. EI doesn't pay very well IF you qualify for it. Might keep the wolf away from the door for a while, but its not much of a living.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad