Question About Covering Puck in Crease

Fundin

May 11, 2015
I know that it is a penalty shot if you conceal/cover/fall on the puck while it's in the crease ("No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a Penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team), but my question is, how does it work when the puck is partially in the crease and partially outside of it? Assume a small part of the puck is on the red line that makes up the border of the crease and that most of it is on the white ice outside.

In other words, must the ENTIRE puck be within the confines of the crease for the rule to apply, or can just part of it be in the crease?

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
I know that it is a penalty shot if you conceal/cover/fall on the puck while it's in the crease ("No defending player, except the goalkeeper, will be permitted to fall on the puck, hold the puck, pick up the puck, or gather the puck into the body or hands when the puck is within the goal crease. For infringement of this rule, play shall immediately be stopped and a Penalty shot shall be ordered against the offending team), but my question is, how does it work when the puck is partially in the crease and partially outside of it? Assume a small part of the puck is on the red line that makes up the border of the crease and that most of it is on the white ice outside.

In other words, must the ENTIRE puck be within the confines of the crease for the rule to apply, or can just part of it be in the crease?

It would come down to the ref's discretion as it's a non reviewable play.

Fundin

May 11, 2015
It would come down to the ref's discretion as it's a non reviewable play.

Well, yeah... but there has to be an actual answer to that. Many calls are down to discretion, but there MUST be an actual answer whether the entire puck or just part of it has to be in the crease at the time of the infraction. I cannot imagine otherwise, especially in a sport like hockey where boundaries and lines are so adhered to.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Official rule says "goal crease area", any non black and white call is solely up to the ref. If they think the puck is somewhat in the crease, they'll blow it down as a penalty shot. There's no need for boundaries to matter as the ref can't see the exact position of a covered puck or pinpoint it moving with the players arm in real time.

If it's a really close call, then I guess it would depend on the time left in the game and the score.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Official rule says "goal crease area", any non black and white call is solely up to the ref. If they think the puck is somewhat in the crease, they'll blow it down as a penalty shot. There's no need for boundaries to matter as the ref can't see the exact position of a covered puck or pinpoint it moving with the players arm in real time.

If it's a really close call, then I guess it would depend on the time left in the game and the score...

... and if one of the teams is a Canadian team

Fundin

May 11, 2015
Unless the rule says otherwise, seems to me that "in the crease" means any part of a thing is in the crease.

I was thinking that too, but bear in mind that it says "within the crease" in the actual rule. Within... to me, might imply the whole thing. Indeed it is down to judgment, but I'm sure the NHL somewhere has this buried in a referee casebook that we have no access to. However, the usage of "goal crease area" may well govern the decision, which seems to support your assertion.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Agreed - "within the crease" implies a distinct subset of the crease (so entirely within).

I guess the follow-up - is the paint that defines the crease part of the crease or not? I'd assume that it is, but then again, the foul poles in baseball are actually fair.

Fundin

May 11, 2015
Agreed - "within the crease" implies a distinct subset of the crease (so entirely within).

I guess the follow-up - is the paint that defines the crease part of the crease or not? I'd assume that it is, but then again, the foul poles in baseball are actually fair.

The red lines ARE part of the crease. I.e, all of the paint.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
All of the puck has to be in the crease,as a goal has to be over the line,offside,etc.

This is what I was thinking.

How does the NHL define other situations involving a line? The puck has to be completely over the lines in those situations, so I would surmise it has to be entirely in the blue paint/red line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad