Question about Bryan Trottier

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Sorry to take this thread off topic, with Malakhov. I guess it’s always been a bit of a topic for me, because this guy essentially had all the tools to be what Victor Hedman is now.

But for those still interested, here is an old article that highlights how inconsistent he could be. Unfortunately, its from just before the car wreck that was the Isles-Rangers of 1994.

HOCKEY; Malakhov Remains Man of Mystery

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
My memory is somewhat clear on this one. I think the emergence of Brent Sutter as a #1C was part of the reason for Trottier's decline in stats. Brent Sutter was the Center on the line of Team Canada that won the Canada Cup with Tonelli and Bossy on a very good line. With the success of that line in the Canada Cup, I think Sutter really showed he was capable of being a #1C or atleast 1B. I am sure this had an effect on Trottier's stats. I do recall Arbour using a Sutter, Bossy, Tonelli line which would have cut into Trottier's time with Bossy and Tonelli. Here is a very memorable moment of that series. Bossy scored the OT golden goal to win it.

It always kinda bugged me that Bossy didn't get the glory of the moment for that amazing deflection. It think he and Doug Wilson (and the Soviet goalie) were the only ones who knew who really scored the goal.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It always kinda bugged me that Bossy didn't get the glory of the moment for that amazing deflection. It think he and Doug Wilson (and the Soviet goalie) were the only ones who knew who really scored the goal.
I recall watching that game, and Bossy, with 2 elite grinders Tonelli and Sutter were the best line on Canada. Bossy was a great player, one of the greatest IMO. I recall debating some posters on this when I said he was the best pure goal scorer in the history of the game. But he was so much more. A real tough player(he took punishment and he took it so he could score and help the team) that played big in big situations. Loved him as a player, and respected him as a man.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I always felt Mike Bossy got slighted on so many different stages. Bossy was overshadowed by Guy Lafleur in the beginning of his career and Wayne Gretzky at the end. In Canada Cup play. Shit even at the All Star Game at the Coliseum Bossy was upstaged.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
@Sidney the Kidney.

Here is a Players’ Tribune article that really highlights how physically punishing hockey was for Trottier. A player who was 5’11” 190ish but played with a ferocity akin to a bigger Messier. I think it puts in perspective why players could seemingly breakdown the way they did back then.

Thanks.

Yeah, for me it was less about him breaking down, but it seemed to just happen overnight. One season he's point per game, the next he's under 50 points.

Reactions: Kevin27NYI

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Lol it was so easy to score then, Dal Colle would be a 50 goal scorer. Literally anyone that put on their underpants the right way could win a Cup.

Reading this and I tought I was magically transported to the annual... “Is Ovechkin the greatest goal scorer of all-time thread/poll?”

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Isles fans, maybe you could clear something up for me about Trottier.

I was browsing through hockey-reference.com and decided to look up Trottier's career stats. I noticed that he seemed to just hit a wall offensively after age 31, when his production dropped dramatically from 82 points to 45 points.

What was the cause of this? Wear and tear on his body or did he suffer an injury that kind of hampered him after age 31?

Take a look at where is was playing and who he was playing with. Trots was no longer the number C and he was getting almost no PP time.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Thanks.

Yeah, for me it was less about him breaking down, but it seemed to just happen overnight. One season he's point per game, the next he's under 50 points.

It was a stark difference from one year to another. I can’t say I recall a single particular event that caused his offense to dry up. Just a lot of possibilities...

Mounting injuries

Roster turnover - Bossy, Potvin et al. left.

Pushed down the lineup, behind Sutter and Lafontaine

scott99

May 13, 2005
10 years in the NHL in the 70s and 80s = 15 years in today’s NHL. Just a tougher league back in those days. Trottier was 5’11” 195, and he was steamrolling guys. And when he was in his prime, a tough defensive center was all over him 82 games a year. Yet I think he stilled played 15 years despite the beatings he took (and dished out) every game. What a warrior.

Basically my answer to the OP’s question is, his skills diminished due to wear and tear.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

aronjudge11

Jul 2, 2017
He sucked his way to 6 rings and the Hall of Fame.

Don Maloney should be rat poisoned for what he did to our roster.

Yeah it was a different game back then. That's the game I grew up on and it's still the lens I occasionally view what should and should not be a penalty today.

I hated Maloney, now looking back, it must have been some analytics geek in the office who brought him some stats..hey boss look muller is better than turgeon and Schneider is better than malakhov"... that and the problem with hiring a GM. Gm needs to put his stamp on the team. Winning a cupbwith bill torreys guys does nothing for Maloney.

Reactions: scott99

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008

I was browsing through hockey-reference.com and decided to look up Trottier's career stats. I noticed that he seemed to just hit a wall offensively after age 31, when his production dropped dramatically from 82 points to 45 points.

What was the cause of this? Wear and tear on his body or did he suffer an injury that kind of hampered him after age 31?
Trottier's skills declined partially due to the number of games he played. The 19 post season series that they played in between 80 and 85 also included 3 International Tournaments between 78 and 85. The year you mentioned was his 14th in the league, and the first year he had less than 20 goals(never got there again). His physical style does not age well, if you asked me I would say his hands were not what they used to be. I moved out of Sportschannel's area around that time, so I had the thrill of watching the Whale. I do not remember any injury to his upper body after the separated shoulder in the 81 playoffs(he played 5 games with it). Maybe someone closer has a better answer.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I hated Maloney, now looking back, it must have been some analytics geek in the office who brought him some stats..hey boss look muller is better than turgeon and Schneider is better than malakhov"... that and the problem with hiring a GM. Gm needs to put his stamp on the team. Winning a cupbwith bill torreys guys does nothing for Maloney.
If you hated Maloney, let me tell you about a guy named Mike Milbury.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

Potvin retired that year. Huge drop off in PP production for Trots.

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls
Sorry to take this thread off topic, with Malakhov. I guess it’s always been a bit of a topic for me, because this guy essentially had all the tools to be what Victor Hedman is now.

But for those still interested, here is an old article that highlights how inconsistent he could be. Unfortunately, its from just before the car wreck that was the Isles-Rangers of 1994.

HOCKEY; Malakhov Remains Man of Mystery

He and Bertuzzi. What could have been.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
9hqIPT6l.gif

Islander Class

Jun 30, 2018
South Carolina
I was 13/14 years old at the time- but my memory was that it was an abrupt drop in production but also not surprising. As stated, age, wear & tear, decline of the roster (many nights felt like LaFontaine v. the world), and reduced role all made it explainable.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I always felt Mike Bossy got slighted on so many different stages. Bossy was overshadowed by Guy Lafleur in the beginning of his career and Wayne Gretzky at the end. In Canada Cup play. Shit even at the All Star Game at the Coliseum Bossy was upstaged.

In all fairness Howe's last swan song would upstage anybody in hockey history.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and MJF

crashthenet

Jul 9, 2004
Hockey Falls

This is true. Underappreciated. Most of histories elite goal scorers are high volume shooters. He really wasn't. Also, he was better than Lafleur.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and MJF

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
This is true. Underappreciated. Most of histories elite goal scorers are high volume shooters. He really wasn't. Also, he was better than Lafleur.
I thought he was better than Lafleur too. I thought Marcel Dionne was a better scorer than Lafleur but The Flower and his flowing hair played in Montreal and Dionne played for an awful Red Wings team in the beginning of his career and LA was a place hockey fans paid no attention to back in the late 70s.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
In all fairness Howe's last swan song would upstage anybody in hockey history.
Howe's last All Star Game was in Detroit the year The Joe opened. You couldn't have scripted a better moment.

It's funny but I don't remember Howe's final year in the NHL with the Whalers being a farewell tour. Maybe someone else here can fill in the blanks for me.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Howe's last All Star Game was in Detroit the year The Joe opened. You couldn't have scripted a better moment.

It's funny but I don't remember Howe's final year in the NHL with the Whalers being a farewell tour. Maybe someone else here can fill in the blanks for me.

They didn’t do farewell tours back then. It would have been considered ridiculous (it still is IMO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad