Question about Bruins Salaries

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
How come cap geek has Seguin's (@ 3.55 mil instead of 5.75 mil),Lucic (@4.08 mil instead of 6 mil), and Marchand (@2.5 mil instead of 4.5mil) at lower salary cap then what they signed it for but players like Kelly/Chara have the same cap for what they signed for?

Is it a mistake on Cap geek's part? or is there a rule or cap reduction for younger players?

Cap Geek - Bruins

kman22

Apr 11, 2010
How come cap geek has Seguin's (@ 3.55 mil instead of 5.75 mil),Lucic (@4.08 mil instead of 6 mil), and Marchand (@2.5 mil instead of 4.5mil) at lower salary cap then what they signed it for but players like Kelly/Chara have the same cap for what they signed for?

Is it a mistake on Cap geek's part? or is there a rule or cap reduction for younger players?

Cap Geek - Bruins

Pretty sure their extensions kick in next year. Those are still the previous deals.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
yeah. the extensions they signed aren't effective until their current contract expires. Thus we have a bigger cap issue starting next year.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Next years cap will be interesting to see how they get it done.

I think a large contract must be moved.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008

We'll have about 10m. Lose Horton and Ference. We really need 4 players.

1. Sign Rask - How much will depend on his performance
2. Top 6 Forward to replace Horton. Or, re-up Nathan.
3. Defenseman. 5-6 type guy isn't expensive
4. 3rd liner - Though, I'm pretty sure Spooner is the guy for that.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH

Well for the sake of argument....

Say Rask costs $5M, Horton signs for the same $4M he's making now or you allocate that on a replacement, and that leaves you with not even the league minimum for a middle/bottom pair defenseman and a winger.

There will be some tough decisions for PC.

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
Well for the sake of argument....

Say Rask costs $5M, Horton signs for the same $4M he's making now or you allocate that on a replacement, and that leaves you with not even the league minimum for a middle/bottom pair defenseman and a winger.

There will be some tough decisions for PC.

Spooner will be filling one of those holes. Might even have a def. from Providence for that back pair by next year too. Probably, just need Rask and a forward.

mdonova33

Nov 7, 2011

Is there any chance that Ference gets re-signed?

corpfan1

May 9, 2009
Etobicoke
Yes. I think it would be wise to offer him $2M. However, he may be able to get more than that elsewhere because of everything he does off the ice and with the NHLPA.

I was looking at next year's $$ yesterday and it really sucks that they won't be able to sign a Perry or Getzlaf as UFA. I could see Getzlaf coming here if they moved Krejci. I could see Perry replace Horton rather nicely...but again that would mean a hole somewhere else.

The key here is Savard and LTIR. That might give the Bs $14M. If so...

1) Re-up Ference at $2.25M

2) Sign Rask at $5.25M

3) Let Spooner fill the wing spot left by Horton (or have him replace Bourque on 3rd line to make room for Perry).

4) Move Krejci or Boychuk and bring in Getzlaf or Perry.

I think the one things the Bs DO NEED is to shake things up a bit from year to year. Sometimes having the same guys year after year, although nice, can become stale and play on the ice can get a little lazy (lack of hunger). New blood always motivates a team if it is the "right" blood.

Is there any chance that Ference gets re-signed?

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Can't we just Keep Horton. Keep savard on LTIR and buyout Thomas? won't that create enough room?

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
With the extensions just north of 6 million plus from this year to next, and the team a bit below the cap this season with Savvy and Timmy still counting (9 mil combined?). I don't see the panic. Tuukka might get a 1-1.5 mil raise, but I can't see Horty or Ference demanding a lot more than they're currently on to stay, providing we want to keep them. Is the cap due to be lowered? Am I missing something?

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Did half this thread get deleted?

There is no chance either of the two players mentioned coming to boston. A large piece would be moved. I wouldn't object to krejci or Lucic. But it seems like the people who are paid to know their **** think both will bounce back.

Not that I can tell. Are you missing a post?

TheSeguinEra2010*

Krejci. I like the guy but with our center depth he will be the most obvious choice.
I dont see Nathan Horton coming back unless he takes a paycut.

Thrive

Scoish Velociraptor Maloish
Jan 10, 2009
Massachusetts
Accounting for the players who are locked into NHL contracts, the Bruins will have $12,618,333 in cap space next offseason (with Savard off the books at the start of the year) with 7 roster spots to fill.

Players on the books for next year:

Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Lucic - Krejci - XXXX
XXXX - Kelly - Peverley
Paille - Campbell - Thornton
XXXX

Chara - Boychuk
Seidenberg - Hamilton
XXXX - McQuaid
XXXX

XXXX
XXXX

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The contracts Chia gave out last year were not really good IMO. Definitely no home town discounts.

Fopppa

Jan 3, 2009
The contracts Chia gave out last year were not really good IMO. Definitely no home town discounts.
I've read up now, and realised the cap is indeed due to be reduced for next year.

If you mean the three extensions right before the deadline, I don't see a problem with any of those deals. Maybe Looch was a smidge high, but he is obviously key to retain and a type of player every team in the NHL covets so you could very easily make an argument that he got the going rate. The contracts that could cause a problem, and will most likely see at least one Cup winner have to leave, are the Kelly, Peverley and Boychuk deals (all of those were also signed last year if I remember correctly). The "easy" route this summer is to let Ference go and replace him with a Prov guy (Krug?) or Johnson if he performs adequately this season.

Code:
CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Milan Lucic ($6.000m) / David Krejci ($5.250m) / Tyler Seguin ($5.750m)
Brad Marchand ($4.500m) / Patrice Bergeron ($5.000m) / Nathan Horton ($4.000m)
Ryan Spooner ($0.870m) / Chris Kelly ($3.000m) / Rich Peverley ($3.250m)
Daniel Paille ($1.300m) / Gregory Campbell ($1.600m) / Shawn Thornton ($1.100m)
Chris Bourque ($0.550m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Zdeno Chara ($6.917m) / Dougie Hamilton ($1.494m)
Dennis Seidenberg ($3.250m) / Johnny Boychuk ($3.367m)
Torey Krug ($1.704m) / Adam McQuaid ($1.567m)
GOALTENDERS
Tuukka Rask ($4.500m)
Niklas Svedberg ($1.000m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $65,230,833; BONUSES: $1,822,500
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $891,667
With Ference let go and Krug in his place, Horton re-signed for equal salary and Rask getting a 4-5 year deal at 4.5 mil, we'd have room for another vet d-man (Johnson or someone of that ilk). Svedberg or Dobby doesn't really matter, they'd be on the same type of money if Dobby wants to stay. Bourque's cheap deal makes him ideal as the press-box forward if he doesn't completely stink up the place. I put Spooner in there, but it wouldn't really make any difference wether it's Knight or Sauve or Koko or whomever, the money would be about the same I imagine. We'd most likely have to play a kid there in any case.

If Ference is retained and Horton let go, we have a much more difficult situation imo. I really like Ference but he should be much easier replaced than Horty. It might be a reach that Nate re-ups at the same coin, depending on how he performs of course, but I'm counting a bit on him wanting to be here next year. An unlikely option for some minor relief would be to buy out Thornton and replace him with McDermid, which would probably save ~400k (McD is RFA). But I doubt they'd do that to Sugah.

Unfortunately, the cap situation doesn't really look to be any better next summer either, as it's just Thornton, Bergy and Seids that have expiring deals. Obviously, Bergy and Seids are no-brainers to extend, and at least Seids would be due a raise from his currently very cap-friendly deal. What is the word on the cap over the next few years, is it due to come up a bit after next season? If it doesn't, the B's might have to dump someone like Kelly or Pevs.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011

None of our contracts are close to the magnitude that Wade Redden/Scot Gomez contracts were.

But a number of contracts signed recently were reaches.

Our top line, without question in my mind, is Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin.

Why are we paying 5.25 and 6 mill for 2nd line players?

Why is Boychuck making over 3 million?

Kelly and Peverley contracts could be lower.

Next season the team needs to sign Rask and either Horton or a replacement. This will eat a large chunk.

Everyone loves tearing down Borque. But for us to fit successfully under the cap, players like him with small cap hits will need to be successful players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad