Question about Backes

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's been a center about 95% if not more since he made the switch to center back in 08-09. He's much more engaged when he plays center and can be a true 2-way player. On the wing, he can be a little more aggressive and physical, but in the middle of the ice, he's more effective in a physical role and performs better offensively. He's a guy who prefers to be in the middle of the action.

All of the wing experiments end with mediocre results, and then he goes back to center and thrives.

Captain America*

On RW: he's like a Mellanby

At Center: he's like a miniature, defensive-minded Lindros.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
I dont think Backes plays as well on a wing. The opening down the middle is better suited for him IMO.

Girth Butcher

Mar 15, 2014
St. Louis
I know one thing, when David Backes plays angry, he IS worth the price of admission. I love when he's honked off at someone, he is a BEAST

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How much does he/did he played RW?

If he played RW, did his game change when he switched?

Thanks

Guessing this is for the ATD. With that in mind, I'd recommend playing him at center. His defensive game is best at that position and he's decent at the dot. At RW, he was a little less defensively responsible, because he could be, and more aggressive, particularly on the forecheck - because he could be.

In terms of playing style, he has always played an aggressive, physical game where he wins board battles, fights for possession and drives the net. He's great on the cycle, and good in front of the net. His shot isn't incredible, but it's good. He's good with rebounds. He's defensively sound in all aspects - positionally, physically, and stickwise. He can PK quite well, and isn't afraid to fight. One thing that always has stuck out to me is that he rifles his passes, so make sure his linemates can handle that.

sst338d

Oct 20, 2014
I agree with everyone above with him being better suited for center. I would even go as far as saying he is one of the best 2 way physical centers in the game! Saying he is a beast sums it up well. Every team in the league would love to have this guy suiting up for them!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad