Prospect Info: Question about Anttoni Honka

SAS

Sep 29, 2017
I see that during the prospect poll in July for top Canes prospects, Anttoni Honka was rated #18. How do you guys see him now? He is definitely boom or bust prospect but he has so much raw talent, but is prone to defensive mistakes. Thoughts?

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I see that during the prospect poll in July for top Canes prospects, Anttoni Honka was rated #18. How do you guys see him now? He is definitely boom or bust prospect but he has so much raw talent, but is prone to defensive mistakes. Thoughts?
I'm not sure that's an indictment of Honka as much as it is high praise for Carolina's prospects in general.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
I'm not sure that's an indictment of Honka as much as it is high praise for Carolina's prospects in general.

I think he’s a top 10 (6-10 tier) prospect in the CAR system. The Canes just have very good prospect depth in all around. I’d put Bean, Suzuki, Bokk, Gauthier, Sellgren and Puistola above him easily. I think you could make a cast that Luostarinen, Kuokkanen, Rees and Geekie should be ranked above him as well.

However, I think he has the tools to be the best D in the Canes system.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
So much this. Honka is the kind of guy that could very well be top 5 (or higher) for us in terms of overall talent, but there are a lot of guys that may have lower ceilings ahead of him that are also very likely to be at least role player types at the NHL level.

Eetu, Drury, and McKeown exemplify this as they don't have high ceilings but the floor on them are respectively #4c, #4c, and 6/7d.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad