Question about Anders Lee

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Can anyone tell me when anders lee played center last time for the islanders in the NHL?

Pretty much never, unless it was spot duty because of an injury during a game. I don't ever remember him starting as a center. He's not a good enough skater to play center at the NHL level, but he was a center in college I believe.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Can anyone tell me when anders lee played center last time for the islanders in the NHL?

I assume you are talking about this. The answer, like PK alluded to above is never, and HockeyRef should really fix it.

upload_2020-9-2_11-39-42.png

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012

he played under Center as Quarterback in high school . He was a finalist for Mr Football Minnesota . Had 1 game with almost 600 yards total between passing and running . Still a record . Would have been drafted much earlier I believe if the chance he would play football in college instead of hockey wasn’t real. Anyway he is now known as Captain or BUZZZZZZ LIGHTYEAR look a like

LGI

nyisleslover

Jun 20, 2018
Albany, NY
We clearly know that Anders Lee is not a better player than John Tavares, but is he a better team captain? I think the obvious answer would be YES, YES, YES! But we never got to see what Tavares would do under the tutelage of Barry Trotz, and sure, that's entirely on JT. Of course, even if JT were a better player under Trotz, it might not make him a better captain than Lee.

I want to dig deeper though. How much does a team captain actually effect the on ice performance of a team? In addition to that, outside of the head coach, the team captain often functions as the teams primary mouthpiece to the media... so while it's impossible to quantify, is the team's perception in the media effected at all by the team captain?

Even if media interaction has a negligible effect regarding on-ice performance, does it function more importantly to the team with regards to how fans THINK of the team? Does it possibly get more butts in the seat? Thus creating more revenue? Thus creating more incentive to spend by ownership? Obviously winning does that over and above anything else, but does Lee being more personable and naturally comfortable with the media than JT have any measurable effect on fans and/or teammates?

We don't get to see much of the behind the scenes interactions, which makes these questions somewhat more difficult to answer. I'm just trying to gauge how important our fans believe leadership outside of the head coach translates to positive results both on the ice and with regards to fan confidence/support?

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
We clearly know that Anders Lee is not a better player than John Tavares, but is he a better team captain? I think the obvious answer would be YES, YES, YES! But we never got to see what Tavares would do under the tutelage of Barry Trotz, and sure, that's entirely on JT. Of course, even if JT were a better player under Trotz, it might not make him a better captain than Lee.

I want to dig deeper though. How much does a team captain actually effect the on ice performance of a team? In addition to that, outside of the head coach, the team captain often functions as the teams primary mouthpiece to the media... so while it's impossible to quantify, is the team's perception in the media effected at all by the team captain?

Even if media interaction has a negligible effect regarding on-ice performance, does it function more importantly to the team with regards to how fans THINK of the team? Does it possibly get more butts in the seat? Thus creating more revenue? Thus creating more incentive to spend by ownership? Obviously winning does that over and above anything else, but does Lee being more personable and naturally comfortable with the media than JT have any measurable effect on fans and/or teammates?

We don't get to see much of the behind the scenes interactions, which makes these questions somewhat more difficult to answer. I'm just trying to gauge how important our fans believe leadership outside of the head coach translates to positive results both on the ice and with regards to fan confidence/support?
since the Captain and Alternate Captains are the only ones that are allowed to talk to the referees while the game is in play, they certainly are important. their attitude and mannerisms translate to how the referees 'treat' them. theoretically, it's not supposed to be this way, but referees are humans too. they may show a tiny bit of favoritism, especially in the lower leagues, but certainly at the top levels as well.

their work ethic, loyalty, positive tendencies, etc... certainly effect the team. leaders are very important. their actions, including speeches, are a big part of the team cohesiveness and success.

for Lee, something that stood out for me this year (in the PO's), is when Wilson challenged him, right at the bench. Lee jumped over the boards and went right at him, like a madman! Wilson may have won the fight by a small margin, but still, i think he was surprised by Lee's reaction. that was a battle of two big boys, and Lee held his own.

that kinda thing is priceless...

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL

I've already given my two "sense" on this topic many times in the past so my short answer is that who the Captain is is a nice honorific for that person, but it has zero influence on game outcomes. After the Panarin saga when it became apparent that Lee would be re-signed so much was made about not losing our captain two years in a row. IMO, a ridiculous factor to weigh in whether to re-sign a player or not. JT was proof positive that losing your captain doesn't mean anything and the same fans who were making the argument that we had to re-sign Lee for that reason, or at least as a factor in re-signing him, were in many cases the same ones who directed every ounce of hate in their hearts at JT. That same person who was our revered captain became a traitor and a snake and a thousand other pejoratives overnight. The bottom line is that in practical terms, it means virtually nothing.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
I've already given my two "sense" on this topic many times in the past so my short answer is that who the Captain is is a nice honorific for that person, but it has zero influence on game outcomes. After the Panarin saga when it became apparent that Lee would be re-signed so much was made about not losing our captain two years in a row. IMO, a ridiculous factor to weigh in whether to re-sign a player or not. JT was proof positive that losing your captain doesn't mean anything and the same fans who were making the argument that we had to re-sign Lee for that reason, or at least as a factor in re-signing him, were in many cases the same ones who directed every ounce of hate in their hearts at JT. That same person who was our revered captain became a traitor and a snake and a thousand other pejoratives overnight. The bottom line is that in practical terms, it means virtually nothing.

I think leadership is important but the captain and alternates aren't the only ones capable of leading. Team chemistry, having veteran leaders, good coaching and management, etc. are all part of it. Having a bad captain can have a negative impact on the team, just the same as having a bad non-captain teammate could. Cohesion is important and so is having people who know what to say and do in different situations.

Chara has spoken about how they don't haze rookies and treat them as equals. He helps set the tone as the captain and leader in that locker room, both by what he does and by what he says. That definitely has an impact on the rest of the guys. Combine that with another great leader in Bergeron, who demonstrates what it means to be a 200 foot player and to work hard on the ice, it helps cultivate the proper team culture for that group. Leadership can also come from guys at the bottom of the roster, but it's a lot harder to set the tone of the entire room as a role player if the guys at the top of the food chain aren't on board.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I think leadership is important but the captain and alternates aren't the only ones capable of leading. Team chemistry, having veteran leaders, good coaching and management, etc. are all part of it. Having a bad captain can have a negative impact on the team, just the same as having a bad non-captain teammate could. Cohesion is important and so is having people who know what to say and do in different situations.

Chara has spoken about how they don't haze rookies and treat them as equals. He helps set the tone as the captain and leader in that locker room, both by what he does and by what he says. That definitely has an impact on the rest of the guys. Combine that with another great leader in Bergeron, who demonstrates what it means to be a 200 foot player and to work hard on the ice, it helps cultivate the proper team culture for that group. Leadership can also come from guys at the bottom of the roster, but it's a lot harder to set the tone of the entire room as a role player if the guys at the top of the food chain aren't on board.
I don't disagree with any of that, but as you note, there are usually several guys in a locker room who can fill that role and so who the specific person is does not usually matter so long as whoever is chosen can carry that mantle well.

Reactions: PK Cronin

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
We clearly know that Anders Lee is not a better player than John Tavares, but is he a better team captain?
I'd say yes based solely on the fact that, unlike Tavares, when being interviewed Lee doesn't look like he's undergoing a colonoscopy.

Reactions: Sparksrus3

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say yes based solely on the fact that, unlike Tavares, when being interviewed Lee doesn't look like he's undergoing a colonoscopy.
I'm not trying to get into a thing, but I will remind you again, that aspect of who he is did not seem to bother anyone until the day he left. Right up to that moment he was the beloved captain and most everyone here was on pins and needles hoping he would stay.

DarkHorse2

Feb 27, 2002
I didn't remember how crazy that draft was for us.
After drafting Tavares, Snow pulled off two deals.
  • Minnesota traded pick #12 in the 2009 Entry Draft to NY Islanders for picks #16, #77 and #182 in 2009.
  • Columbus traded picks #16 and #77 in the 2009 Entry Draft to NY Islanders for picks #26, #37, #62 and #92 in 2009.
So the Islanders traded #26, #37, #62, #92 and #182 for Calvin De Haan.
The players selected with those picks:
Kyle Palmieri
Mat Clark
Anders Nilsson - NYI traded 2nd rd pick (Kevin Lynch) for this pick and #92
Casey Cizikis - NYI traded 2nd rd pick (Kevin Lynch) for this pick and #62
Erik Haula

So the Isles traded Palmieri, Clark, Kevin Lynch and Erik Haula for Calvin De Haan, yet drafted Tavares, Koskinen, Nilsson, Cizikas and Lee, missing out only with Klementyev.
Wild.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I'm not trying to get into a thing, but I will remind you again, that aspect of who he is did not seem to bother anyone until the day he left. Right up to that moment he was the beloved captain and most everyone here was on pins and needles hoping he would stay.
Did I say that it bothered me that Tavares looked like he was undergoing a colonoscopy while being interviewed? ;)

I loved Brent Sutter - still do. He was the worst interview ever and had similar mannerisms to Tavares. Strictly comparing Lee and Tavares in their ability to lead their teammates as Captain, is personality relevant?

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Did I say that it bothered me that Tavares looked like he was undergoing a colonoscopy while being interviewed? ;)

I loved Brent Sutter - still do. He was the worst interview ever and had similar mannerisms to Tavares. Strictly comparing Lee and Tavares in their ability to lead their teammates as Captain, is personality relevant?
Touche' :thumbu:

And I don't think so.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS

Leadership is extremely important. I think your post really nails a lot of how I feel about it as well.

I do think a bad captain can have a more negative impact than if it's just another one of the guys. And I think the captain does mean something more in the room (and to the organization) so that person's behaviour does set a standard more than other players.

But does the "leadership" of a captain translate directly into tangible Ws and Ls. Not likely. As you say it's more about cohesion, chemistry and the expected norms of the team. The captain should help establish (and maybe enforce) some of those norms, like you mentioned about Chara.

I think another important role the captain and A's usually play is that of sounding board for the coach, to communicate the sentiment / mood of the team overall.

It would be interesting to see a documentary / series of interviews from players past and present on the value – perceived or otherwise – of the captain role on an NHL team.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
He played center in College but he had been moved to wing all throughout his time in the AHL/NHL.

He was listed as a Center at ND but I remember him playing a lot of wing when TJ Tyson was his center too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad